Calf Question - Scours Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ljV

Reaction score
I had a real big slow dumb calf who looked ill, humped up and not moving much. Didn't know if he was just real stupid or ill - wouldn't take a bottle one evening, so gave a shot of Tylan (had been force feeding him and questioned pneumonia). Seems to be doing better and the next evening gave another dose of Tylan. Is this setting him up for scours? Do I need to do anything else? He is now a week old - mom won't let him nurse so I have been feeding him Kent milk replacer, two big bottles a day.

I wouldn't be giving him any meds unless he had an obvious problem. Runny nose,scours or something. Did he get colostrum? Did you give him bought colostrum if he didn't get it from Mama? Otherwise if you can get the milk down him I'd leave him be. He will get hooked on that bottle soon enough.

He got colostrum from another cow that calved the same day. I read something about antibiotics killing all the good bugs thus scours. Just wondered about that. He seems to be "waking up" more each day. Just looks like a big dummy.

Yeah, an antibiotic can kill everything and cause the food to just run through without being digested. Did you check its temp? Are you in a selenium poor region?

I did not check his temp. I don't think we are in a Selenium deficient area - how do you know?

Get your feed tested. Generally a good feed analysis will show what your area is or is not lacking.

Antibiotics are a great tool, if used properly, so wouldn't cross them off your supply list.

As mentioned before, when in doubt, call the local vet.

Take care.

ljV":1xpjo97l said:
I did not check his temp. I don't think we are in a Selenium deficient area - how do you know?

Always check temp. Ohio is typically selenium poor, and low selenium can cause poor doing calves. A couple cc of BoSe or MuSe can do wonders.

I am not familiar with those medications. What are they and can I get them at Tractor Supply?

ljV":2bjfw3p7 said:
I am not familiar with those medications. What are they and can I get them at Tractor Supply?

Not around here that I know of, but you can get them from your vet.

The bigger they are, the slower they are.

We use BoSe on ours. Don't use antibiodics unless obviously ill. Wouldn't hurt to call your vet and ask about the humped up, not moving part. They could probably give some advice without making a farm call. We use Kent replacer as well.

Main thing we found with big calves is they usually take longer and more patience to get them up and at it.

Latest posts