Calf holding head and neck funny.

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old calf that is holding its neck stretched out and now its head very slightly sideways. It has been dewormed with Cydectin and had its normal vaccines. They are on excellent minerals also. It was fine at birth but this has developed slowly and seems to be getting worse. A friend looked at it Sunday and said looked a little like bottlejaw does in sheep. But no swelling or lump underneath neck. No obvious swelling or lumps anywhere. It is sucking cow well and growing well. Almost looks like a blind calf when you see it walking at a distance. Any ideas. I will get picture tomorrow if I can. Calf is 1/2 simmy, 1/4 charolais, and 1/4 beefmaster. I can always fatten it and eat it later but if this keeps up head will be looking straight up before then.

Something I've seen a couple of times in cows - seems to be a posture generally indicative of pain.
Which probably doesn't help you much. One of the cows had a broken rib, the other was quite recent; vet found a fragment of tooth lodged in her gum which he pulled, & associated infection. He spent a bit of time listening to her lungs, thinking the outstretched neck was a sign that she was struggling to breathe.

I guess you're familiar enough with the 'star-gazing' posture of CCN/lead poisoning to know it's not that? Calf would be just about the right age for CCN. I doubt it would develop slowly though.

If standing at its head, is the neck in an S shape? If so, magnesium deficiency and an IV of calcium will perform miracles.

Look in its ear and shove a piece of straw in it, see it there is a bunch of junk in it. Usually them calves that do that have mycoplasma.......imo

Mycoplasma(if that's what it is) calves should do okay, they just look strange. It settles in their lymph nodes after thay drink infected milk and so they cock their heads but it doesn't really hurt them as a beef animal.

Probably be dead within a few days, I had one like this a few weeks ago, about the same age, holstein though, and even with with isolation and extra care it didn't make it. It was weaned already, but I figured it had gotten the bug they sometimes get, got weakened, so I put it on antibiotics, gave it electrolytes-sometimes I think certan calves just don't have a strong enough immune system, they get a bug, it weakens them to the point of no return

GMN":381rs1f0 said:
Probably be dead within a few days, I had one like this a few weeks ago, about the same age, holstein though, and even with with isolation and extra care it didn't make it. It was weaned already, but I figured it had gotten the bug they sometimes get, got weakened, so I put it on antibiotics, gave it electrolytes-sometimes I think certan calves just don't have a strong enough immune system, they get a bug, it weakens them to the point of no return
Sometimes Holsteins just forget to breathe

Kenny
We had two of them with these same symptoms this spring. I talked to some cow experts from A & M and they thought it might be ear ticks or mites. It wasn't. The first one that got it was more severe than the second. They kinda had a twitch in their face and would scratch their head with there back hoof. Both held there head at about 10 degrees off from normal. I ran them through the chutes and checked them all over but could find nothing. My original thought was a snake bite or a thorn or maybe even a bull nettle but they were clean of any wounds or sores. I gave them an antibiotic but I don't think it helped. The first one was very lethargic and would not keep up with the herd. I was afraid the coyotes would get him but his mother kept a eye out and he survived. I thought he would die but what ever it was ran its course an after about six weeks he was back to normal. The second one never got as sick and recovered in about three weeks. They both went on to be nice calves but this sickness set their growth back and they were the smallest calves in the bunch. Like yours they never stopped nursing. I still don't know what it was and I have not heard a good explanation from anyone so far. I would love to see a picture if you can get one.

bird dog":yqyz6956 said:
Kenny
We had two of them with these same symptoms this spring. I talked to some cow experts from A & M and they thought it might be ear ticks or mites. It wasn't. The first one that got it was more severe than the second. They kinda had a twitch in their face and would scratch their head with there back hoof. Both held there head at about 10 degrees off from normal. I ran them through the chutes and checked them all over but could find nothing. My original thought was a snake bite or a thorn or maybe even a bull nettle but they were clean of any wounds or sores. I gave them an antibiotic but I don't think it helped. The first one was very lethargic and would not keep up with the herd. I was afraid the coyotes would get him but his mother kept a eye out and he survived. I thought he would die but what ever it was ran its course an after about six weeks he was back to normal. The second one never got as sick and recovered in about three weeks. They both went on to be nice calves but this sickness set their growth back and they were the smallest calves in the bunch. Like yours they never stopped nursing. I still don't know what it was and I have not heard a good explanation from anyone so far. I would love to see a picture if you can get one.

It will be a couple of days but I will get a picture and have someone post it. Still havent mastered the art of pics. Calf still doing great and growing.

Latest posts