Calf down in the chute

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
I had a 800# steer go down on me the other day when we had the vet over fixing a prolaps that I just couldn't get to stay in no matter how many times I stiched him up. In the past when a good size steer would go down in the chute I would pull on him and loosen the head gate and when all else would fail I would get the shock stick and he would finally get back on his feet. This time the vet took his hands and covered the calfs nose stoping him from breathing through it, the calf shook his head and jumped to his feet. I think we've all had this happen and I thought this worked better than any thing else I've tried.
Dose anyone else have any quick fixes for mishaps in the chute?

Twist their ear. They can't tolerate that. If they're able to get up, twisting their ear will get 'em up.

ga. prime":eg7a2a06 said:
Twist their ear. They can't tolerate that. If they're able to get up, twisting their ear will get 'em up.
for a downer in the chute id use a hotshot to see if he would get up.but dont have no 1 in front of him when you put the heat to his butt.

No but for the prolaps I and my vet has befor, inject a CC of LA 200 around the intestine and shove it back in to stich. The swelling helps to keep it in and will cause some scar tissue that prevents it from happening again. Not 100 %.

We normally do the block the nostrils trick, we use a Hot Shot, or grab their tail and twist it around. You can also make a cow go to the left or right by twisting their tail right or left. Mainly used on show calves being halter led.

my dad has gotten into the chute on top of them and put pressure on their back with his feet -
this causes them to get up
but the hot shot is the number 1
and usually the only time it's used around here

Vet mentioned today that last week they had a cow go down in the chute and get so stuck she couldn;t move. Ended up using a cutting torch and cut the chute apart to get her out.

dun

dun":h55k9bc5 said:
Vet mentioned today that last week they had a cow go down in the chute and get so stuck she couldn;t move. Ended up using a cutting torch and cut the chute apart to get her out.

dun

Guy my grandpa shared bulls with had a homebuilt chute that would have held an elephant. Must have weighed 10,000lbs. Calving cow went down in it. No side exit before that :oops: It was made out of reject solid axle shafts from a Ford truck plant.

I had two cows try to get in the alley at the same time and got stuck. I ended up taking the bale spear on the front bucket of the tractor and lifting the panel off the ground and shook em loose.

mdmdogs3 wrote:

my dad has gotten into the chute on top of them and put pressure on their back with his feet -

Your Dad is crazier than a loon, I like that. My kinda guy.

Dick

icandoit":dcfa1h8d said:
mdmdogs3 wrote:

Dick
the oldtimers dont think nothing about standing on or staddling the chute with a cow in it.

bigbull338":ovh2vfkm said:
the oldtimers dont think nothing about standing on or staddling the chute with a cow in it.

You mean to tell me that is not normal operation. :?: :lol:

Oh, almost forgot. My WW has swinging side panel. I have had to release it a couple times for downed cows. It would be something I would look for in a new one.

Had the automatic head catch set to wide for one of my angus cows. She lunged through and got caught right behind the ribs. So much pressure that the head catch release was jammed solid. Had ti use saws all saw to get her loose. Welded pipe back onto catch, finished vacinating. She didn't lunge the next time. Took an extra hour to finish!

lowellcantrell":2uvf7kbo said:
Had the automatic head catch set to wide for one of my angus cows. She lunged through and got caught right behind the ribs. So much pressure that the head catch release was jammed solid. Had ti use saws all saw to get her loose. Welded pipe back onto catch, finished vacinating. She didn't lunge the next time. Took an extra hour to finish!

Lowell, I hiplocked a heifer that went about 900. Was able to force her back enough to get her out the side. I learned real fast to not be in a hurry and take time to adjust the head gate width when the size of the animal changes. I had to get a quick shot of KY whiskey to finish that day. The heifer was nervous too but I didn't share any with her.

bigbull338":76iygnev said:
icandoit":76iygnev said:
mdmdogs3 wrote:

Dick

What is the big deal with doing that? My 5' 2", 115 pound, 59 year old GF does that nearly every time we work cows through the chute. Heck I crawled over lots and lots of chutes where they openned the gate while I was sitting there hanging on.

Latest posts