calf could walk but now can't

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
Last week I pulled a calf out of a heifer. It wasn't a bad pull, once the head and shoulders came through, the rest of the calf fell out after about 10 seconds. The heifer bellowed mightily while I was pulling the calf and went down when the calf came out. She got up again when I opened the crush, and then went straight over to eat hay. The calf was up pretty quickly and sucked the heifer. A couple of hours later I let them both out and they walked off down the paddock. I saw them again later and all was fine, the calf walking about. Next morning, the calf could not get up, its hindlegs useless. And so it remains a week later despite dex injections and physio. It had not been trampled or injured, I'm sure the problem is birth related. Has anyone seen this before, where they could get up and down and walk, and then couldn't? and might she come good like downer heifers do after about 6 weeks?? Probably not.

Just asking if anyone has ever seen a calf come good again in this situation.....thankyou

I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses to your question. I saw it this morning, but didn't reply because I didn't have an answer. I still don't, but I'll give some thoughts. They probably aren't worth any more than what they're costing you.

My initial thought was that it probably wasn't caused by the difficult birth since the calf could walk the first day. Then I got to thinking that maybe there was an injury at birth, and swelling put pressure on the spinal cord, causing the paralysis. I don't know if that's possible, but it's all I can think of, and if that was the case I'd think you'd be seeing some improvement after a week. Have you talked to a vet about it?

Thanks Rafter S. Yes the vet said on the phone that it wouldve been as you suggested, swelling which occurred later. I just wonder if those nerves will repair. He did not know. Thank you.

I might try some banamine. It's an anti inflammatory that could help with any swelling. And give the Dex as often as the label permits and err on the high side slightly. Good luck to you and the calf. They are like kids. Sometimes they get over things way easier than adults.

Thanks JMJ. What is our Aussie equivalent of banamine I wonder?

Yes Jilleroo there are lots of generics out there for flunixin but when it it comes to spinal cord you can't beat the corticosteroids and most nsaids are contraindicated when your giving CS.

Ken

Latest posts