Calf Conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm a small breeder with 5 girls, two of which calved in the past two weeks. In considering whether or not to keep replacement heifers, at what age do you feel you can get a good feel on their conformation?

The more cows and calves you look at and watch grow, the earlier you can start to see which ones are promising... This year I had one that I thought looked really good at birth, and now at 3 months she's just an average calf that I've decided against keeping... I think by about 2 months you start to see how they develop and can get reasonable reliability.. You can always speculate right from birth, but until they're eating grass, there are just some that will do better or worse.. the longer you wait, the more accurate you'll be.
I've also had some that looked great at weaning time, but once they were off milk they just fell apart

Nesikep":1gta5ceb said:
The more cows and calves you look at and watch grow, the earlier you can start to see which ones are promising... This year I had one that I thought looked really good at birth, and now at 3 months she's just an average calf that I've decided against keeping... I think by about 2 months you start to see how they develop and can get reasonable reliability.. You can always speculate right from birth, but until they're eating grass, there are just some that will do better or worse.. the longer you wait, the more accurate you'll be.
I've also had some that looked great at weaning time, but once they were off milk they just fell apart
The operative word is "promising". You can usually pick out the poor ones at a younger age. Weaning the should be starting to show what they are made of. But some don;t really blossom till yearling or beyond. We have one cow that is raising her first calf and looked like a real winner until she calved. Her and her daughter will both be crawling on the trailer at weaning time. And this is from a family of cows that have always excelled.

dun":3hhf4uzx said:
Nesikep":3hhf4uzx said:
The operative word is "promising". You can usually pick out the poor ones at a younger age. Weaning the should be starting to show what they are made of. But some don;t really blossom till yearling or beyond. We have one cow that is raising her first calf and looked like a real winner until she calved. Her and her daughter will both be crawling on the trailer at weaning time. And this is from a family of cows that have always excelled.
I have one of them too.. though she never looked as good as her two sisters, she absolutely got totally ugly about 3 months before calving, and is getting worse every day.. skinny, swayback, no chest, no butt.. she's not getting a 2nd strike!

UUUuuugggllly! (proof I do have back pasture cows)

Maternal half sister licking her daughter that is a paternal half sister

Momma at 12 years old

Mine doesn;t look that bad and is raising a decent calf, but she has no muscle either. She's shaped about the same as she was at weaning.

Nesi,

I assume she's been wormed, but I wonder if there's something else wrong with that heifer? Maybe a belly full of hardware?

Rafter S":208m9obp said:
Nesi,

I assume she's been wormed, but I wonder if there's something else wrong with that heifer? Maybe a belly full of hardware?
yes, I was thinking there may be something wrong with her. Even, possible Johnes?? IF she has received deworming with all your other cattle, and it's just the fact that she is a hard do-er, she definitely needs to grow wheels.

Old man is against any ivermectin or such... belly full of hardware at 2 years old would be kinda strange and doesn't account for just plain poor conformation... she eats just fine... normal cowpies out the back

We cull at weaning, then re cull before breeding, then re re cull after first calving. Very unusual to drop out after that.
Culling rate is about double on purchased vs. home raised weanlings.

WalnutCrest":kxxw4m7e said:
Do you have a rough proportion of what you cut at each interval?

We used to only retain a few heifers, and there was almost no culling after the at weaning selection. We expected and usually got 100% conception.

We are currently retaining the majority of our heifers but cull more as we go. The current cull break down is roughly 65% at weaning (usually small or nervous or poor conformation)/15% before breeding(usually XL)/20% after 1st calf(usually poor mothers or slow breeders).

Stocker steve, that sounds about right... Out of the typical 10 heifers I get per year, I'll keep 4.. usually one won't be that great in springtime (the lowest of the pecking order).. depending on my feed and how many "priority" culls I have I'll give her a kick at the can, but in all likelyhood she'll have one calf and be gone, perhaps with another of her peers.

I watch every calf since birth and how it grows, looks. Most will show lots of potential since early days. Usually the ones which looked good with cows, look good after weaning. Had some which just bloomed then. At the moment we are increasing our herd, so leave most of the heifers. This year have 18 yearling heifers and gonna leave around 14. From 15 heifers, which were born this year, at the moment around 10-11 look worth keeping. Some will be kept to replace their dams as some cows had no heifers before and have to be culled this year. However, still look if they are not poor. Shape, growth, character are important. Culling is done before breeding, sometimes have to cull after it, when some stay empty, and after 2-3 calves, if they are hard calvers, had one which first calf was 112lbs, second 145.5lbs and both dead.

Latest posts