Calf can't get up

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
This is the 3rd time this has happened this year. I have a 450lb calf that is otherwise healthy but ca't get up. No other symptoms at all. I leave them hay in the evening and all cattle are fine. In the morning the calf is laying there and cant get up. These are big healthy calves this is happening to. I cant stand to watch another one waste away. They can stay alive for days upon days like this. Vet came out for one of them in December and found nothing.. any ideas. Big cows and bulls seem ok.

Pharmer":y8dda8pq said:
This is the 3rd time this has happened this year. I have a 450lb calf that is otherwise healthy but ca't get up. No other symptoms at all. I leave them hay in the evening and all cattle are fine. In the morning the calf is laying there and cant get up. These are big healthy calves this is happening to. I cant stand to watch another one waste away. They can stay alive for days upon days like this. Vet came out for one of them in December and found nothing.. any ideas. Big cows and bulls seem ok.

Not being a smarta$$ but you need a new vet.

Bull, steer, or heifer calf?
I see, on a regular basis, small pubertal heifers running with the bull that have their vagina ruptured when a big aggressive bull services them, developing a nasty peritonitis(and death) due to semen and bacteria introduced into their abdominal cavity.
Have also seen bull/steer calves with broken backs due to mounting by big mature cows &/or bulls.

Like 3-waycross, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but I've seen too many cattle that folks say are 'in good shape', and in fact, they're starved out. Not saying that yours are - but folks aren't always truthful, and lack of sufficient groceries is a bigger cause of 'problems' than all the infectious diseases put together.

Sounds like you need to get this calf to a veterinary diagnostic laboratory, if you really want to get to the bottom of the matter.

Just curious if you found out anything on your calf? I too today had a heifer around 500 lb go down and could not get up. She is running with 2 other heifers. All were eating this moring and fine. Went outside this afternoon around 2pm and she was down by a small creek we have running through our pasture. We first initially thought she had gotten stuck in the mud and just exhausted herself trying to get up. After numerous attemps and help from a neighbor still no luck. Her legs do not appear to be broken nor does her back be affected. We worked with her for 4 hours or more. One thing I did notice is her rectum seemed to be swollen which I thought was odd but I have not been around cattle for many many years so Im pretty new on what is normal and not normal. Our vet was not available so we were left to do only what we could do. She seems to be swelling no in her stomach so I am wondering if there is something else going on other than the possibility that she might have gotten stuck in the mud. Any help would be appreciated.

No, there is no change. I did give it 2 shots of dexamethasone that I got from the Vet. I an getting no where and am clueless as to what to do. This will not end well tomorrow if nothing is changed by morning. Best of luck with your calf.

Latest posts