calf born with limp leg

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmMomma

Reaction score
We had a calf born two days ago and it still can't walk but a step or two. It was breech and we had to assist during delivery we aren't exactly how sure he was in the birthing canal but I was wondering any and all possible causes or whatever info you have we have never seen this before :help:

Is there any way you could post a picture? It is amazing what a calf can overcome but you have to make sure it's nursing or they will go backwards quick. Matter of fact without nutrition they won't get better at all.

I will be able to post picture later tonight or first thing in am however it looks normal its just not able to walk

Since you had to assist...is it one of the legs you were pulling on that is limp? Like bigbull says maybe just sore or could of damaged the leg during birth. Biggest thing is to make sure it's nursing. Possible causes would be a long list...vet would be the best bet if your want to keep the calf.

what do you mean by breech? backwards? i know with human babies breech is folded in half. i can't imagine a calf being born like that, thank goodness we havent had that to happen yet if it's possible.

Breech normally is backwards with the rear up, or that is what I picture. We had one this summer which was backwards and upside down. I kept trying to turn it to pull but it wouldn't stay in that position. We finally got it pulled with the puller while I had both arms in the birth canal twisting the calf and holding it that way. Calf was born alive and is now 8 1/2 weeks old and the mother was bred artificially at 6 weeks and her cervix felt fine. The calf I have been documenting his progress as he developed incorrectly in the womb in other posts. As of today he is down to one spint and was literally dancing around the yard. Right now he is right outside our back door sleeping in his little stall we have made for him.