calf born Feb. 5th 2007

Help Support CattleToday:

vchip777

Reaction score
We are fairly new to this. We had a calf born on Feb 5. She is 12 days old now and still can't get up on her own. We stand her up and she can stand alone for awhile and she walks and even runs, but only if you hold her tail for balance. We fed her colostrum and now milk replacer and she also nurses when we can get mama in chute. She was at least 2 weeks early. she has a hard time getting her back legs under her. Then she doesn't have much control over the left one. Other than that, she eats good and very alert. Will she get better if we keep working with her? She is making progress but very slow.

She is making progress...and that is, of course, good. She was early, which may very well mean she has a bit of catching up to do. Keep working with her.

Also, vitamins--B complex and A,E,&D can't do anything but help. Also, ask the vet if Bose might be in order. I really thought where we lived wasn't selenium deficient, but after looking at a map of selenenium deficient/low selenium areas, I discovered we were in a low one. Ya' never know.

The calf is 12 days old...you're 12 days farther along than you were... :) You seem to sense the calf is worth the effort, so just keep on keeping on. ;-)

Alice

Thanks Alice for your input. It makes me feel like we are doing what needs to be done. I will ask the vet about Bose. I am assuming that would be for selenium defiency? and maybe thats why she is weak. But I thought they would get all the selenium they need from the mineral blocks. Again, thanks
Vel

we had just had one born 3 weeks ago 10 days early same probelm hes coming along fine now is yours taking long bathroom breaks lol like peeing for 2 minutes straight?

Glover,

Yes, she pees ever time we stand her up to nurse, didn't time her, but it seems like for ever. What are you doing for your calf, to get it on its feet.

vchip777":2ih3w33s said:
Thanks Alice for your input. It makes me feel like we are doing what needs to be done. I will ask the vet about Bose. I am assuming that would be for selenium defiency? and maybe thats why she is weak. But I thought they would get all the selenium they need from the mineral blocks. Again, thanks
Vel

Not necessarily...and it's not worth trying to figure momma "ought" to be getting what she needs from a mineral block. One size doesn't fit all...I promise.

We are now feeding loose minerals, and I'm so glad we are. Just my opinion, you understand...but don't take anything for granted anymore when it comes to baby calves. :)

Alice

Alice":1q9xvnzp said:
vchip777":1q9xvnzp said:
Vel

Not necessarily...and it's not worth trying to figure momma "ought" to be getting what she needs from a mineral block. One size doesn't fit all...I promise.

We are now feeding loose minerals, and I'm so glad we are. Just my opinion, you understand...but don't take anything for granted anymore when it comes to baby calves. :)

Alice

A suggestion from another beginner/rookie (ME) put them on free choice loose minerals year round and I have been told to make sure it has added calcium. I have been told mineral blocks are not worth much at all,,,only the sellers benefits from the sale.

JMO and what I have been told.

well I will definitely look into loose minerals. we took her to the vet today and got her a shot of bose. he said it may or may not help. i guess she was a little earlier than we thought. she still can't get up on her own, but we are giving her lots of exercise and she eats very good. Vet says give her another week or two. I posted her picture in the pic. gallery.

i dont there a secret formula, just keep doing what your donig! when you start noticing her improving, it will do your heart good. you could add and egg to one of her bottle feedings for a few days to add some protien.

I just searched for the picture you posted and I found it! That is a pretty, pretty baby. :heart:

Just keep on doing what you are doing...your effort will be rewarded... :)

Alice

Latest posts