calf acting fine and then falls down.....?

Help Support CattleToday:

black and red

Reaction score
Looking for some opionions and help here.

I just noticed a 3-4 week old calf laying down in the lot and my first impression is that it got stepped on by one of the cows. But as I get over the fence, it gets up and runs around but then it stumbles/waivers and falls down. I get closer and it gets up and acts fine and runs off, but then does it again. Not to be making a joke, but its almost looks like a "fainting goat". We ran the calf in the barn and it acted fine. It looks healthy and no sign of scours or sickness. Vet said to give it a shot of bannamen? (sp) My neighbor had some so we shot it into the vein of the calf. About an hour later and its still doing it. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any help is appreciated. thanks.

Any vetch in the pasture?
Folks in KS & CA have seen staggering/'drunk' calves nursing cows grazing vetch or eating hay containing vetch. Not sure at this point if it's something in the vetch itself or a mycotoxin from a mold growing on the vetch.

Thanks for the replies guys. Today the calf is acting normal and only did it once that I had seen. had me worried. It was just odd. Never seen it before.

In horses, that sympton is called Narcaleptic. When they relax they colapse. Does not hurt them in any way. Not sure of the same for you but as long as he is fat !!! eating !! and nursing just let him be. If you take him away from his mama ..it may stress him. Just my opinion.

When he/she colapses, does it strike out with it's hind leg? If it had a "bellie ache" that is what they do. When "threatened" by you, they get up & run off, but as soon as the pressure is off, bellie hurts, they fall down & will thrash out with legs. Banamine is the med for that condition, so vet must have "assumed" that was the problem. Sometimes if mom get's sidetracked (like in heat) and the calf doesn't get it's reg meals - than gorges itself, they get a bellie ache.

Latest posts