Calf-3 Months old,Problems?

Help Support CattleToday:

Butters10

Reaction score
We have a steer calf named Butters who thinks he is a dog, since we have a Great Dane who spends tons of time with him.

We were feeding 3-4 bottles a day sometimes 5. After seeing him drink out of the water well, we began him on the bucket. While he was still on the bucket, he was eating alpha, hay, and WEEDS. So he's now on calf pelts, with a bottle of milk every week and also eating the alpha, hay and weeds.

I read on one of the convo's about Bottle calves having a potbelly. I was wondering if Butters had one or not.
I was also wondering if feeding him so much when he was younger help encouraged him to eat EVERYTHING? and how do we tell when it becomes a problem

I'll add a couple of pictures of Butters so I can get your opinions on his belly

It sounds like Butters has landed his butt in butter :lol: .
Check your personal messages re loading photo-good luck.

Cattle022.jpg

This is Butters about 2 weeks ago, getting his shared amount of attention.

007.jpg

This is him on April 30th.

He's the biggest calf that we have, so I guess you could say he's been eating BUTTER.

He looks good. However be careful about making him a pet. Cattle are not like dogs. You really shouldn't let him lean or push on you. It is a good way to get hurt when he weighs several hundred pounds and wants to play.

I say this out of experience. I played and basically spoiled my first bottle calf because I didn't know better. I had zero experience with cattle. I had to sell her when she was about 7 months old because she was dangerous to be around. She tried to play with me as if I were another calf. It was cute when she was little. Not so cute when she weighed about 500 lbs.

If you are going to keep him (aka not eat), you ought to halter break him now while he is little.

Good luck.

Butters10":1d6phxey said:
So he's now on calf pelts, with a bottle of milk every week and also eating the alpha, hay and weeds.
I would quit the milk if its only once a week. Feed him his grain or pellets with access to free choice hay and water.

I also have another question about him. He isn't very active with the other calves when he is with them. Is that a bad thing?

This week we are planning on taking him off the milk because of farm season, just too much going on.

randiliana":raopmtpr said:
Well, not the best photos to judge him by, but he doesn't look to have a pot belly. He looks really good actually.

Sorry about the photos. I won't be back at the farm until Saturday, since I'm taking college classes.

Latest posts