CAB - Vice President Quote

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeC

Reaction score
“Producers who are using Angus simply for hide-color are not doing themselves or the industry any good,” Corah says.

What?

Why would they base the main acceptance factor to the program upon hide color, if hide color was not a prerequisite to quality beef?

You folks saying that black calves bring more at the market are not "doing themselves or the industry any good" now, you hear?

Listen good.......YOU'RE BEING DETRIMENTAL TO YOURSELVES AND THE BEEF INDUSTRY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will you ever give up, Mike. Its to the point of who cares. You prefer White, others like red and more go black. Just raise what you want. What he said is correct and I see no fault. I hope you don't deny that black gets a higher premium in certain parts of the country! I have seen several posts this week. Stating that white is getting more in their area. If your proud of your herd, be proud. There's no reason to run down other people. Quit urinating in everyone else's cherios.

Quit urinating in everyone else's cherios.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When CAB quits taking money out of the pockets of producers who have other breeds of cattle other than angus by taking full credit for the quality of all CAB beef, and artificially inflating angus cattle prices, I MIGHT consider giving it a rest. :roll: :roll: :roll:

But not before....................................

And another note. Breed of cattle don't make a hill of beans to me. It's the propaganda that spews out of an Association's mouth that curls my lip.

he's been beating that dead horse for some time now...do like the Eagles, "Get over it!"

krenwic

Aren't there other associations out there??? Have your association promote your product. The angus association has done a tremendous job of promoting the cattle industry and its product. I thought your thesis all this time is that black doesn't get a premium. Now you state that it does. Like I said "I have seen two posts this week. Saying that White gets a better premium in their area." Do you accomplish anything with all this disgust for the AAA? Promote your own breed. People come to this site to learn about the breeds. Set up threads promoting the White, Red, Gray, and Loppy Eared cattle. Just so you know. I raise angus. The worst hamburger I have ever had. Was the Angus burger at burger king. That meat was dry and had no flavor. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Mike.

MikeC":1f82nhuf said:
When CAB quits taking money out of the pockets of producers who have other breeds of cattle other than angus by taking full credit for the quality of all CAB beef, and artificially inflating angus cattle prices, I MIGHT consider giving it a rest. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I guess you'll be busy for a looooong time. :D

Maybe not, read history.

All good things come to an end. The "homers" are always the last to know...

Frankie":2lhe2ozw said:
MikeC":2lhe2ozw said:

I guess you'll be busy for a looooong time. :D

That's OK. I plan on being around for a while. :lol: :lol:

MikeC":3qc6n1yk said:

And another note. Breed of cattle don't make a hill of beans to me. It's the propaganda that spews out of an Association's mouth that curls my lip.

I don't post here much anymore because I have other things going on, but it isn't taking money out of other producers pockets, the consumers are willingly paying premium for the product. There is nothing prohibiting market competition. And besides, regardless of how "angus" the CAB product is, it is a quality controlled product that offers a consistent product, that is why people like it. Buying pre cut steak is hit or miss, it is either good or it is dry and tough, at least with CAB it is consistent

AngusSenorita":355qzew3 said:
MikeC":355qzew3 said:

I don't post here much anymore because I have other things going on, but it isn't taking money out of other producers pockets, the consumers are willingly paying premium for the product. There is nothing prohibiting market competition. And besides, regardless of how "angus" the CAB product is, it is a quality controlled product that offers a consistent product, that is why people like it. Buying pre cut steak is hit or miss, it is either good or it is dry and tough, at least with CAB it is consistent

Your "Handle" or name....."Angus Senorita" tells me you MIGHT just have a less than objective viewpoint of the subject at hand.

Please excuse me for making this blunt, but I believe they do take money out of other breed producers pockets and I'll just leave it at that.

Please tell us how High Choice from one breed (or crossbreed)of cattle is more consistent than Select, Standard, or any Grade from another.

The standards for beef quality grading differences are set by the USDA, not CAB.

Honestly I am not a supporter of CAB, if they want to call it angus I believe it should be 100% angus. The USDA sets grades but CAB has a set of specifications within those grades and there are a few physical limitations that ensure that horned breeds or Brahman aren't mixed in there and we all know that Brahman and Longhorn don't make great steak

AngusSenorita":b12wwd3w said:
Honestly I am not a supporter of CAB, if they want to call it angus I believe it should be 100% angus. The USDA sets grades but CAB has a set of specifications within those grades and there are a few physical limitations that ensure that horned breeds or Brahman aren't mixed in there and we all know that Brahman and Longhorn don't make great steak

Good try, but horns are allowed in CAB. :lol:

I have had some Brangus cattle to qualify too. :shock:

Angus/Brangus":1aamw5yg said:
MikeC":1aamw5yg said:
AngusSenorita":1aamw5yg said:

Your "Handle" or name....."Angus Senorita" tells me you MIGHT just have a less than objective viewpoint of the subject at hand.

More anti-CAB baloney. It's what we have come to expect I suppose. Just the same:

CAB takes NO money out of the pockets of those selling black- hided non-angus cattle. In fact, CAB is putting money INTO the pockets of those folks, since having a black hide is a major criteria of acceptance. In fact, it is those producers who feign angus blood by fraudulently inputting their non-angus black hides into the system (and making an extra buck!) that hurts the CAB program. Although I don't have the easy solution, I sure would like to see CAB make even more efforts to eliminate non-angus cattle from the system.

Angus Senorita doesn't have an object viewpoint and you do? How is that when you yourself have Angus cattle?

CAB is all about selling cattle and bulls. Selling beef is secondary. :lol:

In fact, it is those producers who feign angus blood by fraudulently inputting their non-angus black hides into the system (and making an extra buck!) that hurts the CAB program.

I swore I thought I read that Frankie said ALL black hided cattle in the USA came from angus blood? :lol:

You're not biased a bit are you? Mr. ANGUS/BRANGUS

CAB and other branded beef programs
Because the 1987 changes led consumers to experience a decrease in the quality (taste) of beef, a market for higher quality beef developed, which itself led to the development of branded beef programs. The best marketed and thus best known program now is the Certified Angus Beef (CAB).

CAB uses the top third of the Choice Grade, which is called the Moderately Marbled level of Choice. With the consumer confusion caused by the USDA's changes, CAB allows consumers an alternative to the confusing (for them) government grading. According to a report, "After the USDA issues a grade, an Angus grader comes through and stamps the meat that fits their program. What they are taking is, by and large, the top level of USDA Choice." CAB and other programs market their beef without the USDA labels and pass off as the highest quality those cuts which are not quite Prime Grade but are nevertheless affordable.

Most consumers and even many barbecue cooks believe incorrectly that CAB is Prime Grade. Of course, that is exactly what CAB wants consumers to believe (and it is the reason that CAB itself does not usually label the USDA Grade on its products).
This was taken from;
http://www.steakperfection.com/grade/

Here is the original quote in context.
Taken from the "Prairie Star"

"Supplying the brand takes focus
Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:30 PM MST

Pay attention to the consumer. Cattle producers everywhere are hearing that message. They understand that it's really just asking them to pay more attention to their cowherds.

According to Cattle-Fax, less than half of today's finished cattle are sold on value-based grids that reward quality. However, the spread between Choice and Select beef value continues to widen, and Cattle-Fax projects grid sales will account for more than 60 percent of fat cattle sales by 2010.

That could be an opportunity for producers of high-quality cattle, says Larry Corah, Certified Angus Beef LLC (CAB) vice president. Although an estimated 60 percent of the nation's cows are now Angus based, many are of unknown genetics or not focused on the carcass value.

“Producers who are using Angus simply for hide-color are not doing themselves or the industry any good,” Corah says. “On the other hand, there's tremendous value in focusing on the end product.”

Progress can be made through selection for carcass traits, such as marbling or taste fat."

Placed in context, it is obvious that he is encouraging producers to consider not the color but the genetics. Sounds to me like saying dont buy a Ford just because of the label, buy it for whats under the hood. With gene star & ultrasound producers can identify sires that do a better jobs of passing on good carcas genetics. If you want to be acurate and not just inflamitory read the whole thing and report the whole thing. Corah is not even considering the average Joe Shmo that gets a slight premium off of selling black hided animals. He is speaking to the producers who are interested in selling CAB and improving carcas merit. Seems that our breed gets to caught up on fads (single trait selection). But thats for another post. My point here is that the OP left out a few things which changes the whole story.

Angus/Brangus":2m71bzns said:
...In fact, it is those producers who feign angus blood by fraudulently inputting their non-angus black hides into the system (and making an extra buck!) that hurts the CAB program. Although I don't have the easy solution, I sure would like to see CAB make even more efforts to eliminate non-angus cattle from the system...
Maybe CAB could trademark black hides and then only Angus (black) producers would be allowed to have black cattle, thereby exposing all the frauds. JMO, but I don't think CAB wants to eliminate non-angus black hided animals - wouldn't be able to make supply meet demand without all the fraudulent wannabe blacks. I don't have an axe to grind and I do have some Angus cattle - the Red kind!

Angus/Brangus":2n09qkmg said:
Hey NovaTech. This just in:

"November 2007
Original premium beef brand enjoys record sales
The Certified Angus Beef ® (CAB®) brand, with sales of more than 584 million pounds, hit the highest mark in its 29-year history. Approximately 14,300 licensees helped the original premium brand of fresh beef achieve an eighth consecutive year at more than half a billion pounds sold, setting records in every division."

You might want to send a copy of this to your buddy Joe O'Connell, writer for steakperfection.com. See what he thnks about CAB 4.5 years later :nod:
You may want to check out where. Mostly in foreign countries. I here Mcdonalds. :lol: The fact is they market on buyer ignorance. The fact is they must include other breeds in their brand to get the quality. The fact is that their are enough pure angus cattle in the industry but not enough quality to meet the demand.

Angus breeders should follow the leadership of CAB. Just raise cattle with black hair, as we all know that is what makes the meat good :roll: , and sell it as Certified Angus Breed.

Just curious, but do cattle even have to have black hide to be marketed as a CAB product????

I have heard, although not confirmed, that in order for stock to meet the CAB "standards" all they have to have is a black nose.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

I may be completely wrong, if I am can someone please steer me down the path of enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts