CAB - Vice President Quote

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
TREY-L":2k4jbkfh said:
Just curious, but do cattle even have to have black hide to be marketed as a CAB product????

I have heard, although not confirmed, that in order for stock to meet the CAB "standards" all they have to have is a black nose.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

I may be completely wrong, if I am can someone please steer me down the path of enlightenment.

I'm always glad to enlighten the unbelievers. :p Here's a link to the USDA requirements for CAB. There are two sections, Schedule GLA and Schedule G1 PDF. Read them both. They tell you the animal has to be 51% black hair coat, not black HIDED. They also tell you the hoops the packer has to jump through to maintain the integrity of the brand, and the penalties if they cheat.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/cab.htm

This thread is really one I should stay out of... but I almost posted a while ago that I thought the hide had to be over 50% black...then I thought, "There are plenty of Angus breeders on here who will be happy to answer that one, and it will probably be Frankie." :)

greenwillowhereford II":269yfazy said:
This thread is really one I should stay out of... but I almost posted a while ago that I thought the hide had to be over 50% black...then I thought, "There are plenty of Angus breeders on here who will be happy to answer that one, and it will probably be Frankie." :)

Glad to see you back GWH. I hope things are well in your part of Oklahoma. We've had wonderful weather all week, 60s and sunshine. But the cold front has come through this morning. Brr.

Ok, now I'M mad! "Brahmans and Longhorns make the worst steaks"... is a total misconception.! ABBA is working very hard to promote the tenderness characteristics on our Brahman cattle so we can lose that misconception. It will take a LOT of time, but I'm certain there's a correlation between tenderness and TEMPERMENT. So as all of us Brahman breeders get older, and less inclined to chase knuckleheaded cattle, the better our beef will be! :cboy:

We sent our 1/2 Brahman calves to Ranch to Rail for three years, and I have to tell you that the best carcass AND the calf that made us the most $$ was out of a Simmental / HOLSTEIN cow and a Brahman bull. The year we fed out Brahman steers, my herd bull was #3 for tenderness.

Sorry.. couldn't resist! ;-)

Frankie":w1bcsz2s said:
greenwillowhereford II":w1bcsz2s said:

Glad to see you back GWH. I hope things are well in your part of Oklahoma. We've had wonderful weather all week, 60s and sunshine. But the cold front has come through this morning. Brr.

Thank you. Yes it is cold, and again this morning I had to run my bull back home. There was another spot in the fence behind the barn that I missed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Producers who are using Angus simply for hide-color are not doing themselves or the industry any good,” Corah says.
This statement seems to indicate that there has been a backlash caused by the marketing of CAB. Some people pay more at the action barn for black hair, and others are buying into the angus breed for the same reason. This ignorance is causing the breed to lose in quality overall. It is the assumption of them that because it is Angus it high quality.
The Angus breeders on these boards are a minority. I give them credit for wanting to improve through education and to those that educate them.

I raise Reg. Angus cattle. After sticking my foot in my mouth a few times and learning from it I feel I may have to agree with some of what people like MikeC are saying. To quote a man that I was just getting to know and learn from befor his death if you are going to call it Angus, it needs to be Angus. Most should know who I am talking about. I can not help how most of the consumers think. But I know if you lable something in a certain way it needs to be that way. Like I wrote at the first. I am raisng Reg. Angus cattle not CAB.

buelingo.jpg

So, In referrance to the 51% black hided one, Is this "Certified Angus Beef"?

beltedgalloway.jpg

What about this one?

dexter.jpg

Or maybe this is what CAB is supposed to look like.

galloway.jpg

Or, maybe, you could market these as CAB, but only during the really, really sunny winter months. :D

Angus/Brangus":1bemtzmh said:
novatech":1bemtzmh said:
CAB and other branded beef programs
Because the 1987 changes led consumers to experience a decrease in the quality (taste) of beef, a market for higher quality beef developed, which itself led to the development of branded beef programs. The best marketed and thus best known program now is the Certified Angus Beef (CAB).

CAB uses the top third of the Choice Grade, which is called the Moderately Marbled level of Choice. With the consumer confusion caused by the USDA's changes, CAB allows consumers an alternative to the confusing (for them) government grading. According to a report, "After the USDA issues a grade, an Angus grader comes through and stamps the meat that fits their program. What they are taking is, by and large, the top level of USDA Choice." CAB and other programs market their beef without the USDA labels and pass off as the highest quality those cuts which are not quite Prime Grade but are nevertheless affordable.

Most consumers and even many barbecue cooks believe incorrectly that CAB is Prime Grade. Of course, that is exactly what CAB wants consumers to believe (and it is the reason that CAB itself does not usually label the USDA Grade on its products).
This was taken from;
http://www.steakperfection.com/grade/

You really have to read the whole article to see what's wrong with the argument. On the one hand the author admits that "The National Cattlemen's Association (NCA) started a nationwide consumer movement for lean beef. At the request of the NCA, Texas A&M University produced the "National Consumer Retail Beef Study", which began the "War on Fat". The study recommended that consumers be educated to purchase lean beef.

The problem was that beef graded Prime and Choice were fatter, and consumers had learned that beef graded Good was lean but tough."

And then says the government chose to "change the name of the grade from Good to Select, so that consumers could be "fooled" into thinking that a lean cut was better than one with fat". This statement is a lie. How could the customer be "fooled" into thinking that Select was better when it really was indeed better and what the customers were demanding at the time????????? At the time, the customer base was moving towards leaner beef for better personal health and was willing to sacrifice the great taste of the beef that contained more marbling (fat).

And then the author goes on to mince some more words in attempt to blame poor quality meat on the CAB folks. What the skeptics don't seem to pick up on is that when a product is good consumers will buy it over and over again based on their personal experience with the product. And if its bad then they stop buying it. Period. CAB sales keep going up!
I have never stated that CAB meat had anything wrong about it. The article does not state that. It does state however than the level of grade has been reduced and why. I think very clearly. The only thing I have ever had against CAB is the name itself being a boldface lie, lie lie. Ignorant people have bought into it and the same type of ignorance has led to breeding for black hair. The same type of ignorance that has caused people to pay higher prices for black hair. This attitude can only lead to the decline of beef in the Angus business over all.
The article also states that you rarely see a grade on CAB. Why is that?

Angus/Brangus":xrw3gbkc said:
Excuse me oh wise one but if you will re-read the article, the author strongly implies that CAB attempts to fool the public by re-grading USDA Prime, when, in fact, CAB has additional criteria, over beyond that of the USDA, for labeling any meat "Prime". The author does not mention this fact. But then, this is what anti-CAB people do, twist and mangle the facts to suit there own distorted view of the world of beef.
Excuse me oh one that can not read. The article states that CAB take low end prime and high end choice and regrades from their. The article explanes that prime of today is not as high quality as it was pre 1987.
Why doesn't CAB put a grade on the package? Because it is not prime like they want people to think. It does not meet USDA prime standards. It cannot because they start their high end inspection on choice. The article does not imply that CAB attempts to fool the public by re-grading USDA prime. The article states that CAB attempts to fool the public by re-grading USDA choice.
No different than CAB wants people to think they are eating 100% pure Angus which we all know ain,t so.
CAB is all about fooling the public. ;-) .

Why not put the CAB argument to rest for this goround? It will come back up in a nother week or 2 just like usaul and the same arguments will be made, just like usual, and no one will change their minds, just like usual.

dun":1j1cm8q7 said:
Why not put the CAB argument to rest for this goround? It will come back up in a nother week or 2 just like usaul and the same arguments will be made, just like usual, and no one will change their minds, just like usual.

With all due respect Dun. There are several people who have read the CAB arguments here that have been mislead to one degree or another.

Just like the one poster on this thread that stated that CAB acceptees must be polled and cannot be Brahma influenced. :shock:

This website is an informational and a personal viewpoint based exchange of opinions. Many are extremely opposite.

The more information exchanged, the better off we all are.

If you don't like the CAB arguments just pass over them.

MikeC":gphpghoz said:
dun":gphpghoz said:

With all due respect Dun. There are several people who have read the CAB arguments here that have been mislead to one degree or another.

Just like the one poster on this thread that stated that CAB acceptees must be polled and cannot be Brahma influenced. :shock:

This website is an informational and a personal viewpoint based exchange of opinions. Many are extremely opposite.

With no respect to you, MikeC, I post this link every chance I get so people can read the actual rules about CAB. Accurate information should be exchanged, not slanted half truths.

Meawhile, you pull comments out of context to insult and misrepresent the brand and the breed, such as claiming Red Angus qualify for CAB. You're the dishonest person on these boards when it comes to Angus and CAB.

Frankie":d90p0hjb said:
MikeC":d90p0hjb said:
dun":d90p0hjb said:

With no respect to you, MikeC, I post this link every chance I get so people can read the actual rules about CAB. Accurate information should be exchanged, not slanted half truths.

Meawhile, you pull comments out of context to insult and misrepresent the brand and the breed, such as claiming Red Angus qualify for CAB. You're the dishonest person on these boards when it comes to Angus and CAB.

I suppose it must bother you that someone defending CAB was "Factually Challenged"? Like you are here:
Frankie
GURU

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Green Creek wrote:
Right now a money market account is paying almost as much as a short term CD and it is available when you want it.

Frankie wrote:
But it's not FDIC insured.

And my correction to your nonsense:

Wrong Frankie:

http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/ ... ciorn.html

There different types of "Money Market" accounts..............

"FDIC-Insured

1-Checking Accounts (including money market deposit accounts)

2-Savings Accounts (including passbook accounts)

3-Certificates of Deposit

4-Retirement Accounts (consisting of cash on deposit at a bank or thrift)"

There are several more instances where you were "factually challenged" yourself. :lol:

Mike

Me thinks you will be getting something special from Frankie this year. :banana:

yep love is in the air.

MikeC":1tthqv8a said:
Frankie":1tthqv8a said:
MikeC":1tthqv8a said:
dun":1tthqv8a said:

I suppose it must bother you that someone defending CAB was "Factually Challenged"? Like you are here:
Frankie
GURU

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 pm

Green Creek wrote:
Right now a money market account is paying almost as much as a short term CD and it is available when you want it.

Frankie wrote:
But it's not FDIC insured.

And my correction to your nonsense:

Wrong Frankie:

http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/ ... ciorn.html

There different types of "Money Market" accounts..............

"FDIC-Insured

1-Checking Accounts (including money market deposit accounts)

2-Savings Accounts (including passbook accounts)

3-Certificates of Deposit

4-Retirement Accounts (consisting of cash on deposit at a bank or thrift)"

There are several more instances where you were "factually challenged" yourself. :lol:

You're a pitiful person, MikeC. Pitiful. :roll: Money market accounts have nothing to do with Angus or CAB.

BTW, not all money market accounts are FDIC insured. A "bank" in my home town closed several years ago and people lost a lot of money in CDs, money markets, and checking accounts because they weren't FDIC insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts