CAB Researchers explain Decline

Help Support CattleToday:

"Bovigen Expands GeneSTAR® Quality Grade Test

In a move that doubles the value of its GeneSTAR® Quality Grade product, Bovigen announced today that it has received independent validation for its new four marker Quality Grade test.

Harahan, La.; January 31st, 2007 â€" GeneSTAR® Quality Grade has long been the industry’s only independently validated DNA product for Quality Grade or marbling. The Quality Grade test was last expanded in August of 2005. At that time, the test was based on a two marker panel. Bovigen has now received confirmation from the National Beef Cattle Evaluation Consortium, that the new, expanded four marker panel has passed their independent validation process.

In previous studies, GeneSTAR® Quality Grade was estimated to improve Quality Grade by as much as twenty three percent. Updated studies of the new, expanded GeneSTAR® Quality Grade test, shows an improvement in percent choice of nearly thirty five percent. Other analysis have shown that when cattle are separated into low and high GeneSTAR groups, there is more than a one and a half Quality Grade difference in the average grade of the two groups.

“We’re very excited about our new, expanded Quality Grade test,” said Bovigen CEO Victor Castellon. “The value of increased Quality Grade is well established in the marketplace. The difference between a Zero Star bull and an Eight Star bull for Quality Grade can be several thousand dollars over its useful life when calculating the difference in value of their offspring.”

“We are extremely pleased with this latest product addition and will make it available to our customers as quickly as possible,” said Castellon. Bovigen will begin releasing the new marker panel as of February 15th. The Quality Grade panel test, despite dramatically increasing in size of effect, will continue to sell for the same price. Upgrades of previously tested animals will be available for $25.

“DNA testing is just beginning to become a mainstream tool,” commented Calvin Gunter, Director of Corporate Development. “We feel it is very important to subject our products to some type of independent validation prior to their release. Others may choose a different route, but we think that scientific credibility is one of the things that separates us from our competition.” added Gunter.

About Bovigen

Bovigen, LLC is a global genetic technology company. Bovigen is the only USDA certified “Process Verified Program”, or PVP, genomics company in the world. We promote excellence in the Beef industry through development, acquisition and commercialization of genetic tools that empower producers to improve value and positively impact industry economics. The company’s products include GeneSTAR® Tenderness; GeneSTAR® Quality Grade; SireTRACE®; SureTRAK®, GPDâ"¢, GeneSTAR Elite Tenderâ"¢ and GeneSTAR® Black. For more information visit http://www.bovigen.com or call 877.BEEF.DNA

Director of Corporate Development
504-733-8182
877.BEEF.DNA"

I dont understand why you guys get all outraged when CAB promotes Angus. Thats their job. Not to tell you how to get the best beef, but how to get the best beef using Angus. If CAB started promoting any other breed I would be seriously upset, after all they are a breed organization brand, not a beef organization brand. Nobody can deny that CAB has helped the beef industry sell more meat. I wish the other brands would do half as much as CAB.

People should quite crying about CAB and start asking their own organization how come. If we are better we need to let the public know. The fact remains CAB is recognized all over the world. I cant think of a single other beef branding program that can say that.

The arguement that CAB lies is insignificant. Their specifications are publicized enough that anybody who cared could find out what they are.

I notice Hardees/BK/ etc., didnt sell any less Angus burgers after the so called expose.

Think I will go get me a tasty Angus burger right now.

Badlands":3plp9t3y said:
4. scared cattle
What? Are they getting more nervous as a higher percentage of Angus bulls are used? This would produce a trend.

Badlands

Exactly, this may be the stupidest reason on the list. Temple Grandin has been preaching about how too handle cattle and design slaughter lines for 20 years and a lot of her suggestions have been put into effect so cattle SHOULD be getting calmer in the feedlots and kill floors over time NOT nuttier.....and IF cattle are nuttier than they were 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago then they are now.....then genetics has too take the lion's share of the blame for that too. I don't know how to design a research project too prove or disprove the theory that cattle have gotten freakier over the last generation; but I simply do NOT believe it.

Brandonm2":1wez7bm1 said:
Badlands":1wez7bm1 said:
4. scared cattle
What? Are they getting more nervous as a higher percentage of Angus bulls are used? This would produce a trend.

Badlands

Exactly, this may be the stupidest reason on the list. Temple Grandin has been preaching about how too handle cattle and design slaughter lines for 20 years and a lot of her suggestions have been put into effect so cattle SHOULD be getting calmer in the feedlots and kill floors over time NOT nuttier.....and IF cattle are nuttier than they were 5, 10, 15, 20, 30 years ago then they are now.....then genetics has too take the lion's share of the blame for that too. I don't know how to design a research project too prove or disprove the theory that cattle have gotten freakier over the last generation; but I simply do NOT believe it.

They didnt say they got freaker. They just said scared cattle are a cause of lower grades. You have to agree stressed or scared cattle are a source of dark cutters.

Im not argueing with the points you guys are making. I agree with them for the most part, but I do think you guys are reading way to much into the article and trying to make it say something they never intended it to say.

3MR":3as884tj said:
Brandonm2":3as884tj said:
Badlands":3as884tj said:
4. scared cattle

Badlands

They didnt say they got freaker. They just said scared cattle are a cause of lower grades. You have to agree stressed or scared cattle are a source of dark cutters.

Im not argueing with the points you guys are making. I agree with them for the most part, but I do think you guys are reading way to much into the article and trying to make it say something they never intended it to say.

There have always been scared/freaky cows.
There have always been cattle that did not marble.
There always have been dark cutters.
What we as an industry are trying too figure out is why we almost yearly seem to have less cattle that will grade Choice or higher. If they are claiming that scared/freaky cows are a causitive factor in this decline; then they are implying that breeders over the last 30 years have consistently produced more freakie cows. My gut reaction is too completely disbelieve this. IF cattle are indeed getting more high strung, I wish somebody would produce evidence of this.

but what is the change.. ANGUS PROMOTIONS... Why with all of the current information available why is the angus breed still producing sub-- and yes i said sub part marbling genetics.. Check out the results about Purebred Angus Steers and their grading.. Why do other breeds such as Hereford, Simmentals and Charolais all show positive results when purebred steers are slaughtered while angus shows very few positive purebred slaughter data ?? And when is CAB going to realize what they are doing to the nationals beef supply and put a Crossbred, either a smoke, black white face as their "CoverCattle Face" of CAB !! WHEN ??

Not only do they have less marbling......they have way too much backfat. That is exactly why CAB recently changed the specs just to fill the supply.

Looks as though the breeders have a long hill to climb.....................................

Brandon - I think you are reading way more into that article than was intended.

Different subject -

So if the majority of CAB isnt really Angus and they are having a hard time getting enough quantity that meets spec, what does that say about the other breeds?

Personally, I still think its the producers fault. we could raise better cows, genetically and by practice than we have as an industry as a whole.

It takes time to get a whole herd that you could consistently sell on the grid and still make money. Until then most producers aim for higher carcass weights. Right now I shoot for the higher weights. I do hope to eventually have a complete heard that I can sell entirely on the grid. Its just not an option right now and weight pays.

The average producer doesn;t see any direct CAB premium unless he retains ownership. The couple of cents cwt he gets when selling the calves is the premium that can be attributed to CAB. The buyer is playing seven card no peak and betting on the come. I don;t really care how much CAB has paid out over the years.
Since we have so few black cows and we market the calves differently we don;t see any affect of CAB. But when we retain ownership or sell to buyers from previous years that like the way our calves perform, we get the same dollars as the sellers of blacks or any non=CAB premiums for the carcass.

dun

Latest posts