BYERGO BLACK MAGIC 3348 Fruad?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Was looking at some bulls and came across BYERGO BLACK MAGIC 3348. First glance I saw a Simmental bull but he is registered angus. Most his numbers are top 1%. Anyone use him ? I don't think he 100% angus. He is ugly as sin. But I would be tempted to use him due to his numbers.

I doubt that it's Fraud. But high $B bulls normally look ugly to me anyways. There are a few exceptions to every rule (Cowboy Up, Power Play), but if you don't like the way a bull looks then it's pointless to use it unless your planning on selling or culling his progeny.
He would probably make great feeder cattle. He's probably similar to Acclaim

We used his son, Blackstone on our 2nd calvers. No calves yet but soon.

I like BMs #s and during Byergos sale last spring, they sold blackstones semen cheap. I did use a couple straws on my PB herd but bred mostly to commercials that we'll feed out. I'm excited to see the calves. Opted to use him exclusively on 2nd calvers since he's new.

His $EN has skyrocketed but if his other numbers stay steady, he'll be a cash king for us.

For that reason alone, I honestly wouldn't care what he was. He ain't the best looking bull but could sure fix a few things. I don't think Black Magic looks bad at all.

I can't pass on those kind of numbers. I am gonna use him and hope for a bull(s), and sell them.

I may be proven wrong, but do you really think ABS is going to be hoodwinked by Byergo? Same with Friendship Farms? I've bred a few cows to Byergo Titus and will see how the calves turn out soon. Are you saying he is Sim Angus just on a gut feeling and by looking at him, or do you have actual proof?

Richnm":1z16xyog said:
I ain't buying it he is 100% angus.
He is certainly masculine with much more muscle expression than other Angus bulls.
He would be an example of what someone said the other day about Angus wanting to become Simmentals and
Simmentals are wanting to become Angus.

I remember you said you like Big Mamma Cows... and he will make 'em big.
At $60 he's too rich for my conception rates and my commercial calf market and his daughters too big for my feed bill.

*************":2cjc973j said:
I may be proven wrong, but do you really think ABS is going to be hoodwinked by Byergo? Same with Friendship Farms? I've bred a few cows to Byergo Titus and will see how the calves turn out soon. Are you saying he is Sim Angus just on a gut feeling and by looking at him, or do you have actual proof?

I'd be real interested in hearing more from you when you start dropping Titus calves. Our Blackstones are due 01/20.

I am gonna use him and hopefully get a bull to sell. ABS also was pushing 3f Epic and turned out he An NH carrier.

NEFarmwife":cw9p0cuq said:
*************":cw9p0cuq said:

I'd be real interested in hearing more from you when you start dropping Titus calves. Our Blackstones are due 01/20.

This girl is settled to Titus and is due in about 3 months. She is a little over 3 years old and weighs in at about 1850 pounds as per her last weigh in on Tru Test scales. I'm expecting a baby hippo out of the combo. Just joking! I spoke with Bryson Byergo and the guy was friendly and took nearly 30 minutes of his time to speak to me about Titus, Black Magic, and Boomer. He told me that he thought Titus was the standout. I decided to give Titus a try on a limited basis and bred him to a few cows that really smash the scales. I was curious to see what the result would be, and cannot wait to see what happens. This particular cow is a bulldozer, and I wanted to see what the combo would look like given the phenotype of Titus. As for his pedigree, I've spoken with some people that snub their noses at Byergo on pedigree alone, but if you dig down into that pedigree you will find Band of Ideal, Rito, and Fabron of Wye blood and so on. People are always going to talk garbage about you if you are succeeding and it looks like Byergo is definitely moving ahead. As for Epic, that is very unfortunate, and ABS and people who used Epic learned a hard lesson about not testing for recessives. It is an added expense, but we test every animal in our herd with Angus Source and the genetic bundle. Why be guessing, when the testing is a small added expense? I want the peace of mind, and don't want one of our bulls screwing up another cattleman's herd. I know someone in my area that has had numerous birth defects out of a bull, was he tested? Obviously not! Like the old adage says, an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure....

I think that cow bred to Charlo, or Chisum 255 would be nice. We've had some monster cows and wish we would have bred them to bulls that moderate them a little. Most of them ended up at the butcher and had a hard time breeding them up. We're in a totally different environment out here in the west though.

LCBulls":2fle7zn7 said:
I think that cow bred to Charlo, or Chisum 255 would be nice. We've had some monster cows and wish we would have bred them to bulls that moderate them a little. Most of them ended up at the butcher and had a hard time breeding them up. We're in a totally different environment out here in the west though.

I have a few cows of smaller frame than this one that are bred right now to Charlo. I want to see how it turns out. I'm using SAV President 6847 mostly along with SAV Raindance, but again, wanted to see some out of Charlo for comparison.

Yeah, I think Raindance was slightly smaller framed than President. At least when he was a year old. I'm really excited to see them. We bred our best to President and have some really nice ET heifer calves by Raindance on the way.
I really like our Charlo calves a lot. Some would say that they are too small, but the heifers look like cows at a few months old and have a neat head shape a look about them. Our best heifer this year is out of Charlo, she is a full sister to Coleman Engage 5255. Her Dam is a slightly larger cow and it worked out nice.

LCBulls":3v968s4m said:
Yes sir, good point.
As for Black Magic his info says 57" tall, but for some reason they chose not report his frame score.
205 day ww 1019 lbs
His epd for both yh and mh is top 1%
57" tall at 12 months = frame score 9
IF he was 15 months old when measured 57" = frame score 8
My educated guess is they chose not to report frame score because it might hurt semen sales.
$EN bottom 2%

I think Black Magic would cross well on Charlo daughters.

Looks like the frame race is on with some Angus breeders. Angus is supposed to be pure Angus, unlike Simmental. There's supposedly no breed up allowed in the AAA.

*************":15bbx8jt said:
Friendship Farms is proof all you need is money to become a leader - breeder in the Angus breed. They are really good folks and have quality animals. And your not pulling anything over on them.

BM has been both parentage tested and HD 50K, he is an Angus bull. I would be more concerned that he wont keep those numbers long term, basically 2 years from breeding to selling. What are the numbers gonna look like in 2 years? probably not better than they are today. Only one animal in black magics 3 generation pedigree doesnt have a parentage test of some sort, one out of 14 animals.

Latest posts