Top 5 best, multi-trait, black angus heifer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
List time! Give me your 5 top black angus, sure enough heifer bulls (bullet proof, not iffy) with good traits across the board. They make good replacements? Check. They have moderate frame size? Check. They have docility and an ability to grow even though their calves are born light? Check. Their progeny marble? Check.

My initial list (in no order):

1. Hoover Dam - pretty proven.
2. Broken Bow - We've been very happy with his calves.
3. SAV Rainfall - if you like the Charlo/4136 flushes, he's the one sure fire heifer bull.
4. Mill Bar Hickock - he may actually end up being the best of the lot.
5. GAR Sure Fire - i hear alot of flack over him but the amount of registrations out of him is remarkable. Someone must like him (or actually, 100's if not 1000's of folks like him and his calves.)

hornedfrogbbq said:
List time! Give me your 5 top black angus, sure enough heifer bulls (bullet proof, not iffy) with good traits across the board. They make good replacements? Check. They have moderate frame size? Check. They have docility and an ability to grow even though their calves are born light? Check. Their progeny marble? Check.

3. SAV Rainfall - if you like the Charlo/4136 flushes, he's the one sure fire heifer bull.
5. GAR Sure Fire - i hear alot of flack over him but the amount of registrations out of him is remarkable. Someone must like him (or actually, 100's if not 1000's of folks like him and his calves.)

What's your thoughts on capitalist 028?

I've been told by several locals that I should be very careful breeding Hoover dam to heifers. Both said they come with a little more bone than they like for heifers. I'm sure it would be fine for fall calving, but you have to be careful here on spring calving.

I'm looking for recommendations to breed Hickok heifers

hornedfrogbbq said:

Hoover Dam -- I've never had problems with HD on Heifers and we've used him considerably over the past 7 years. He's an excellent choice.

Mill Bar Hickock -- I've got a bunch of calves out of him that I just weaned. I'm totally left scratching my head about them. They are not particularly impressive. haha. But, I will pass judgement next fall when we send them to the locker. I WILL say he is calving ease. They were BIG calves, but I had no problems. They also seemed to get to suckling in short order. So for heifers he may be a sound choice.

Bcompton53 said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

We have several cover bulls out of Capitalist so we can't use him for AI but we are fans.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Bcompton53 said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

We have several cover bulls out of Capitalist so we can't use him for AI but we are fans.

https://postimg.cc/kDdpgbwY
This is my first year using Cap 028. This calf is less than 2 months old, but so far, I like him. He won't be getting cut, I'll probably use him as a clean up after AI.

Not totally proven yet but Connealy Legendary could possibly get it done.

Good topic, it is always nice to hear who others are using and even more important if they are working out. We used a bull a couple of years ago that I looked at for quite awhile before I finally ordered semen on him. I loved his numbers and his pedigree but had never seen any of his calves so shied away from him. I finally just had to try the bull and am very glad I did. KCF Bennett Absolute he has Final Answer and Wulffs EXT 6106 in his pedigree and I just felt he would produce some nice calves.

This is one of them Gizmo Absolute F12 956 W299 actual birth weight 77 pounds

This is a rear view of Gizmo Absolute F5 D31 W299 note this calf is out of a first calf heifer actual birth weight 79 pounds.

I wish now I would of purchased more semen. This year we will use:

RB Nemo 716
SAV Rainfall
Coleman Engage
Coleman Charlo

gizmom

gizmom said:
Good topic, it is always nice to hear who others are using and even more important if they are working out. We used a bull a couple of years ago that I looked at for quite awhile before I finally ordered semen on him. I loved his numbers and his pedigree but had never seen any of his calves so shied away from him. I finally just had to try the bull and am very glad I did. KCF Bennett Absolute he has Final Answer and Wulffs EXT 6106 in his pedigree and I just felt he would produce some nice calves.

This is one of them Gizmo Absolute F12 956 W299 actual birth weight 77 pounds

This is a rear view of Gizmo Absolute F5 D31 W299 note this calf is out of a first calf heifer actual birth weight 79 pounds.

I wish now I would of purchased more semen. This year we will use:

RB Nemo 716
SAV Rainfall
Coleman Engage
Coleman Charlo

gizmom

How did you like your Engage calves? I remember you saying you might use him last year.

hornedfrogbbq said:

I had a calf out of him this year. 805# at 225 days, and looked like a tank. Had a BW of 74#. His dam is my least favorite cow personality wise, but she brings a heck of a calf to the table. He was a bit flighty. I attribute that to the dam, but he didn't seem to put the docility in him. I think if had been a different cow that he would have been the real deal.

Bestoutwest said:
hornedfrogbbq said:

I had a calf out of him this year. 805# at 225 days, and looked like a tank. Had a BW of 74#. His dam is my least favorite cow personality wise, but she brings a heck of a calf to the table. He was a bit flighty. I attribute that to the dam, but he didn't seem to put the docility in him. I think if had been a different cow that he would have been the real deal.

Hickok?

LC bulls
The engage came small but are really growing that is about all I can tell you at this point they are only a couple months old and all out of heifers. I will be able to tell more when we wean, they are deep and thick and seem to be growing but weaning weights will tell the story.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
Black snake

If I wasn't on restriction I would have already put in an order order! The boss put his foot down and told me to use what I have in the tank.

Gizmom

I've got Absolute semen for sale if you're ever interested and want to save a few bucks

LCBulls said:

Hickok?
[/quote]

Yes, Hickok.

I'm using Hoover Top Notch this year on my heifers. His Dam L5 who baldridge owns also is one heck of cow and is in the donor pen over there.

I used 38 special last year but he won't moderate frame but his marbling is really high.