BW or else?

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys:
Do you think lower birthweights (say 60's - 70's range) are more important than having a small head and small shoulder calves that would average aroun
nd the high 70's - 80s?

Nope! Any cow over 900-1000 lbs should be able to have a 70-80 pounder, no problem.

BW EPD addresses both, not directly but based on the ease the calves are born. So to me shape and size are both pretty much academic

ricebeltrancher":14uzlhcp said:
Nope! Any cow over 900-1000 lbs should be able to have a 70-80 pounder, no problem.

Even if its a first time calver?

I like my heifers to have 70-80 # calves. Any under that and they never seem to catch up and over that scares me. Tho we did have couple 2 years ago right at 85. Shape means alot more than their weight. Had 2 2nd calf fall cows lay down and spit out 90,96 # calves. Year before they had 60 somethings.

Most of the time I don't "power" them up till 3rd calf. I worry alot more number wise on CED than BW

ricebeltrancher":2jblmfpg said:

You do realize that's the equivalent of asking your 120 lb. wife to have a 11 lb. 1st child and do it unassisted and easily?? :shock: :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo":35eed0rs said:
TexasBred":35eed0rs said:
ricebeltrancher":35eed0rs said:

You do realize that's the equivalent of asking your 120 lb. wife to have a 11 lb. 1st child and do it unassisted and easily?? :shock: :lol:

You mean she can't?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Time will tell. :shock:

TennesseeTuxedo":33u2ajrb said:
TexasBred":33u2ajrb said:
ricebeltrancher":33u2ajrb said:

You mean she can't?

Are you saying his wife has hips like a cow?

While people seem to strive for light birth weights I believe it often leads to cows that are unable to have a larger calf without assistance. Leading in many cases to smaller cows and lighter still calves.

If a cow is unable to have a 100 pound plus calf on this place without assistance (normal presentation) we do not want her.

Like Randiliana, we are not interested in those light birth weights.

Shape is everything

Best to all

Bez

I'd rather prefer having heifers have a 70-80lbs calf instead of a 50-60lbs calf. If someone is concerned about their heifers, they should stick with a CE bull instead of using longhorn, jersey or corriente bull on them and discard the junk calves.

Bez,
Not picking at or on you, but you're just one of a long line of folks I've seen claim that constantly selecting for low BW/high CED leads to cows that can't have larger calves (or did I get that wrong?)
But I have to disagree - IF you also look at CEM/MCE(maternal calving ease) and consider it in breeding decisions, I wouldn't think you'd have that result.
I frequently use low BW/high CED bulls on heifers, and occasionally on cows - but one of my selection criteria also requires that they be above breed average for maternal calving ease, regardless of BW/CED - which suggests that their daughters will calve out easily as first-calf heifers.
So...while I may have stacked multiple generations of low BW/high CED, I've also got multiple generations of high MCE stacked in there, too.

Low MCE is what's kept me away from most of the OCC line of Angus cattle - would like to use some of them, but most I've looked at were well below breed average, and I won't go there, unless I were using 'em as terminal sires, with no intent to keep heifers.
Don't care if I never pull another calf.

Lucky_P":3qbslonn said:
Bez,
Not picking at or on you, but you're just one of a long line of folks I've seen claim that constantly selecting for low BW/high CED leads to cows that can't have larger calves (or did I get that wrong?)
But I have to disagree - IF you also look at CEM/MCE(maternal calving ease) and consider it in breeding decisions, I wouldn't think you'd have that result.
I frequently use low BW/high CED bulls on heifers, and occasionally on cows - but one of my selection criteria also requires that they be above breed average for maternal calving ease, regardless of BW/CED - which suggests that their daughters will calve out easily as first-calf heifers.
So...while I may have stacked multiple generations of low BW/high CED, I've also got multiple generations of high MCE stacked in there, too.

Low MCE is what's kept me away from most of the OCC line of Angus cattle - would like to use some of them, but most I've looked at were well below breed average, and I won't go there, unless I were using 'em as terminal sires, with no intent to keep heifers.
Don't care if I never pull another calf.

Nope - you can pick on me all day long - I have broad shoulders and am always open to talking about this one - and I have been very successful in how we do things here - essentially push button animals.

And while I do not 100% claim it to be so, I do believe it is possibly the reason for what I am about to write.

I just seem to always be reading about someone who has to pull a (so called) gigantic 90 pound calf.

That is not a giant calf - and to say so tells me you might have problems again if she cannot handle it.

Ours probably average 90 - 100 pounds.

Since we moved on to this new farm in 2002 we have pulled or assisted very few - wifes records show one was backwards with a leg hung up, two were simply too large and one was tangled as twins.

But those under 80 pound calves that so many people brag about always seem to come from folks who - and you can find them on here every year -pull "those big 90 pounders".

In my experience small calves over the years have led to cows having less ability to have big calves - you can avoid the big calves all day long - but they do happen to even the best of breeders and planners - the exception is what the cow has to be able to handle - NOT the rule.

And so every ten years of so we start to go down the path of got to have smaller calves.

I have always said and we will not likely change here - that if a cow cannot comfortably have - as a heifer and a first timer - at a minimum, a 100 pound calf - I do not want her on the place. And - touch wood - we have been very successfull in breeding that ability into the animals.

So we can agree to disagree - but I would be willing to bet that on average we pull less calves than anyone I personally know.

It is late and I am off to bed - be safe and have a great day tomorrow.

My best to you

Bez

snake67":4pu3227k said:
While people seem to strive for light birth weights I believe it often leads to cows that are unable to have a larger calf without assistance. Leading in many cases to smaller cows and lighter still calves.

If a cow is unable to have a 100 pound plus calf on this place without assistance (normal presentation) we do not want her.

Like Randiliana, we are not interested in those light birth weights.

Shape is everything Bez

Weighed all our calves one year and then cut back to weighing just a few. Was surprised to find out that we have a lot of calves is the 95 to 110# range. Never had to pull one of these. Cows had a lot of herf or SH blood. Since one of the criteria for retaining heifers is weaning weight - - we select against small calves. :shock:
Did have some issues in the past with purchased heifers and their blocky BA calves... I like to use a calving ease AI bull on our own heifers, but I buy + BW epd bulls for the herd.

There are plenty of Red Angus sires out there that have negative BW and also negative CED - it has to be shape. Looking at only BW can get you in trouble.

What Lucky-P has stated is dead on, you have to pay attention to the CETM too. But BW scares me much less than CED does. I don't care to pull another calf, either, but we have cows that can and do easily handle 100# plus calves as long as they aren't shaped like plugs. I think our heaviest calf thus far was 124# (heifer calf), no problem for mom, she was long and slender.

Yep. I pay more attention to CED than BW. I'll use a 2+ BW bull on heifers, if CED is 7 or above. Not scared of a few extra pounds if the shape is right.
Short gestation bulls (NBPT D806 calves typically came 10-14 days early here) can get 'em on the ground small & easily, too.

Latest posts