BVD.... Now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

RockingW

Reaction score
We have had a few cows abort calves in the last month. Dad happened to be in the pasture when the last one was delivered so he collected the fetus and some afterbirth and took it to the vet. The vet sent it to MU for analysis and it came back positive for BVD. The vet is returning on Tuesday and wants to check every animal on the farm. After this test comes back and any BVD-PI animals are sold what needs done? I read online to check every calf born, but somewhere said not to check them after they nurse colostrum, I didn't understand why. Any suggestions of what need to be done to get back to BVD free herd would be appreciated. Thanks again.

On this one, your vet will be the best source of advice. Also ask about ML vaccines and proper ways to do it...temp control of vaccine, boosters, sunlight on vaccine, proper technic to administer

I would be checking every calf born, or at the very least, every heifer calf that you might consider keeping. And then definitely get on a good vaccine plan.

I can't see why you couldn't take after they had colostrum. A PI calf is a PI calf from birth.

You need to get rid of all the PI's, close the herd and get yourself on a modified-live 5-way vaccination program. Your vet can guide you through this.

Test all calves born as soon as the group is born. In the beginning, all PI's SHOULD be destroyed... period. No point in spreading the disease to unsuspecting buyers.... like how you probably got it in the first place.
Vet will have you test all dams and sires first. Then test calves if any positives in adult group. He'll more than likely put you on a MLV vaccine if your not already. Can take as long as 5 years to get rid of the disease depending on how you handle it from now on.
Valerie

Well the vet came last Tuesday and left with 95 ear notches for examination. We quizzed him rather extensively on what to do now to totally eradicate the virus from the herd and I really have some differences of opinion with him. I asked him about testing all calves when they are born to get any PI calves away from the herd before breeding season starts. He said he would just wait till fall when we had them in to work them. My thinking on it is that if we don't test the calves when they are born they could potentially infect the rest of the cows when they are being bred, or during early gestation, causing more PI calves next year too! He said that if the cow had built up antibodies to the virus that they would be passed to the calf and may not show as a positive, even if the calf was PI? Anybody know anything about that? We usually tag/cut/weigh calves when they are within 24 hours of being born it wouldn't be to hard to notch the ear too! Thanks for any additional info!

RockingW":33mh85p3 said:
Well the vet came last Tuesday and left with 95 ear notches for examination. We quizzed him rather extensively on what to do now to totally eradicate the virus from the herd and I really have some differences of opinion with him. I asked him about testing all calves when they are born to get any PI calves away from the herd before breeding season starts. He said he would just wait till fall when we had them in to work them. My thinking on it is that if we don't test the calves when they are born they could potentially infect the rest of the cows when they are being bred, or during early gestation, causing more PI calves next year too! He said that if the cow had built up antibodies to the virus that they would be passed to the calf and may not show as a positive, even if the calf was PI? Anybody know anything about that? We usually tag/cut/weigh calves when they are within 24 hours of being born it wouldn't be to hard to notch the ear too! Thanks for any additional info!

No problem keeping the calves till weaning. Just make sure all 'clean' cows are vaccinated with a modified-live before they are bred, and the carriers are shipped.

Cow doesn't pass antibodies to calf in utero. A calf is 'neutral' when it is born and gets it's first antibodies through colostrum.

dun":2z8m6fam said:
Aaron":2z8m6fam said:
Cow doesn't pass antibodies to calf in utero. A calf is 'neutral' when it is born and gets it's first antibodies through colostrum.
Might want to read up on PI calves a little more.
http://www.bovilis.com/diseases/bvd/pi-calves.asp

That doesn't change what I said. I am repeating what a Pfizer rep/ex-vet told me. Can't pass antibodies, but can pass virus. But maybe what he said is BS. Would just add to my collection of way's Pfizer reps try to make a sale - outright lie.

From what I'm reading the calves could get enough antibodies from the colostrum to give a false negative test, not to be healed or anything. But the test could come back as negative when it could actually be a positive for BVD PI. Is this correct? I sent an e-mail this morning to a company called IDEXX that claim to have a test that you can use on calves <3 months old. Has anyone had any dealings with this company?

Aaron":2rmkbzu8 said:
dun":2rmkbzu8 said:
Aaron":2rmkbzu8 said:
Might want to read up on PI calves a little more.
http://www.bovilis.com/diseases/bvd/pi-calves.asp

That doesn't change what I said. I am repeating what a Pfizer rep/ex-vet told me. Can't pass antibodies, but can pass virus. But maybe what he said is BS. Would just add to my collection of way's Pfizer reps try to make a sale - outright lie.
What I was getting at is the a PI calf can be PI from the womb.

Use the ear notch test not the blood tests. Ear notch test will not be affected by vaccines or antibodies , etc. Do it on newborns before turning dams out to bull and make sure dams get the MLV vaccine and we vacinate the calves also with mlv. A PI calf will infect and shed virus constantly. You need the herds antibody levels up and that doesn't happen overnight. You can always consult with the maker of the MLV vaccine, they have a vet on staff to answer questions.
Valerie
Good luck.

OK, update.....need more help! As I have previously stated after an aborted fetus was sent for examination and came back positive for BVD every bovine on the farm was ear notched and tested for BVD last week. The results came in today.....No animal was infected with BVD. We have sold 6 cows and two died, one from old age and one from complications after aborting, we think she may not have cleaned properly. In theory one of those 8 animals was the source of the infection. The vet said maybe from a neighboring farm, but wouldn't they have to be rubbing noses across fence or some other close contact? he also said something about white tail deer.... I didn't even know that was an option. We have been vaccinating for BVD for close to 10 years now, just not with a MLV. Any new suggestions as to possible infection sources? Thanks again.

The source of your BVD problem might not even be animals in your herd. It is quite possible that it came from a neighbouring pasture. It could have been a bull that is PI. It could have been an animal that was infected with BVD but not PI.

randiliana":1ohncl33 said:
The source of your BVD problem might not even be animals in your herd. It is quite possible that it came from a neighbouring pasture. It could have been a bull that is PI. It could have been an animal that was infected with BVD but not PI.
Agreed. I have heard of deer being carriers and if I'm not mistaken... it can be brought in on clothing and tires, at least some diseases are brought in this way.
Valerie

Latest posts