#&@% Buzzards

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder if you could trap them like we trap magpies. My magpie trap is a big cubicle cage formed with sucker rod, covered with chicken wire. One side has a funnel going into the cage also formed with sucker rod and covered with chicken wire, small end of the funnel is inside the cage. A little bait inside and they go in but can't get out.

Silver said:
I wonder if you could trap them like we trap magpies. My magpie trap is a big cubicle cage formed with sucker rod, covered with chicken wire. One side has a funnel going into the cage also formed with sucker rod and covered with chicken wire, small end of the funnel is inside the cage. A little bait inside and they go in but can't get out.

I have heard that they are easily trapped. It's just very illegal.

Silver said:

I'll ask.....why you trapping magpies??

callmefence said:
Silver said:

I'll ask.....why you trapping magpies??

When the move into your yard you lose all your songbirds. They make a terrible racket. The will pick the eyes and anus out of a sick calf. There is a long list of reasons why one might not want them at least around the yard and pens. They are kind of pretty though.....

We heard a program at a cattlemen's meeting about the black headed vultures. They are protected but I have heard of a few die of lead poisoning. https://forestry.ca.uky.edu/files/forfs18-03.pdf they recommended use of a effigy and said they are quite effective. I've heard if you find one that has died of natural causes you can use it to deter the other birds but the carcass tends to rot then you have to go looking for another bird. They sell plastic effigy's on amazon.

Gizmom

SSS = Shoot, Shovel, Shut up.

The magpie trap type was used here in a local city because the vultures had gotten so bad that they were roosting right in town. The state/wildlife biologists, or someone, was making traps that were something like 10x20 about 2-3 feet high and using dead deer as bait. There was a "trap door" on one end; the birds would fly down, land and walk into the trap but they couldn't "take off" to fly up and would get confused. They had someone closeby that could "drop" the trap door. The vultures would get caught in it and they disposed of them. It was done very quietly so there wasn't alot of publicity. Out here, we just do whatever to dispose of them as fast as we can. They are not scavengers like most vultures. The black headed ones are truly predators. There isn't one of the fish and game people around here that will say anything good about them and they all seem to have selective eyesight for any of the vultures that wind up dead.....must've been hit on the road......

Ky hills said:
Caustic Burno said:
Cress27 said:
Man always needs a scatter gun close by and a 17hmr I've got a buddy that's declared war on them suckers

Good luck in your offensive as we are not winning here. They need to be eradicated. The old turkey buzzard serves a purpose, the Mexican Vulture is as bad as hogs IMO.

From what I have seen the black headed ones have pretty much replaced the turkey buzzards. Hardly ever see a turkey buzzard anymore. I also think that the black vultures are more predators than scavengers. They should not be included in any kind of protective status. They should have the same status as hogs.

I have heard that there are a few state F&G groups that are trying to get the black headed Mexican vulture removed from the protected status that covers all raptors and such. They really should have the same status as the feral hogs that you all have to deal with, further south. I have heard that the hogs are making their way up here into Va now. I guarantee they will be shot as fast as anyone sees them around here. I cannot imagine the numbers that I have read some areas have to deal with.

farmerjan said:
Ky hills said:
Caustic Burno said:
Good luck in your offensive as we are not winning here. They need to be eradicated. The old turkey buzzard serves a purpose, the Mexican Vulture is as bad as hogs IMO.

From what I have seen the black headed ones have pretty much replaced the turkey buzzards. Hardly ever see a turkey buzzard anymore. I also think that the black vultures are more predators than scavengers. They should not be included in any kind of protective status. They should have the same status as hogs.

I have heard that there are a few state F&G groups that are trying to get the black headed Mexican vulture removed from the protected status that covers all raptors and such. They really should have the same status as the feral hogs that you all have to deal with, further south. I have heard that the hogs are making their way up here into Va now. I guarantee they will be shot as fast as anyone sees them around here. I cannot imagine the numbers that I have read some areas have to deal with.

I agree totally they absolutely should have the same status as feral hogs. From what I understand per the Ky Wildlife dept site there are pockets of feral hogs in several areas of the state. Thankfully have not heard of any in this area or from anyone that has had to deal with them yet.

Silver said:

You must have very stupid magpies. I have a magpie trap and even put near their nests, they won't touch it.

Much more successful with #7 1/2 shot. Especially the young dumb ones.

Aaron said:
Silver said:

You must have very stupid magpies. I have a magpie trap and even put near their nests, they won't touch it.

Much more successful with #7 1/2 shot. Especially the young dumb ones.

Well, they are smart enough that if they have ever been shot at and survived you'll never get another chance, unless it is the young dumb ones.

I'm in Central Texas-they didn't seem as prevalent in the fall, but they're thick as molasses now. Are they truly migratory or just more active late winter? Might convince me that my fall calving idea is pretty good if we can avoid them

About a month or so ago they were thick as molasses around here and just about solid on a cell tower next door. Now there's none on the cell tower and don't see them around. I wondered if maybe the cell tower company put some kind of electric shock on the tower or something. During fall calving they would get within a couple of feet of the cows and hop around. We shot at a few to scare them off, not to kill (thanks farmerjan for the sss explanation).

The buzzards were trying to get another one today, I was able to scare them off before they got to it. A calf a couple days old was laying out in the open by itself and they were starting to come in around it. I went down and got the calf up and it took off toward the other cattle.