Dang Buzzards killed one of my calves

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13":icf2t1ms said:
Kathie in Thorp":icf2t1ms said:
Geez, I feel so bad for you folks that have to go through the buzzards!! We have eagles here, and they show up every year at calving time -- they know the drill, and we are near the river -- they are after after-birth. They don't tear into live babies.

This is a very cruel (in my mind), but effective way I've heard to bait pest birds. And if we had your problem, I'd do it. Find a high tree; or put up a high pole. Hang heavy duty trebel hooks on light cable, baited with meat. Then sleuce them where they hang.

Kathie, this would catch other birds of prey that are not your target. Right now the game wardens here are not pursuing those who are defending their livestock. All the cattleman I talk to are shooting the buzzards. If we start killing hawks, etc. that might go down bad.
That's true inyati13. Glad the fish cops are leaving the stock owners alone.

Since we got some jennies I don't worry about the vultures. We do have to have their hooves trimmed a couple of times a year but other than that they are no trouble, plus they eat a lot of weeds that the cows don't like.

mjnetex":24tcegvs said:
Since we got some jennies I don't worry about the vultures. We do have to have their hooves trimmed a couple of times a year but other than that they are no trouble, plus they eat a lot of weeds that the cows don't like.
I havd heard that. Would you mind saying what state you have found that works in? Thank you.

Had that happen here in the spring, Saw them around the calf but thank God I was there in time, ran off quite a few, calf was minutes old, the momma was having a fit.

Since when did Buzzards start killing, times are a changing.

thommoos":13j6iy0a said:
Had that happen here in the spring, Saw them around the calf but thank God I was there in time, ran off quite a few, calf was minutes old, the momma was having a fit.

These aren't the typical Turkey Vultures we all grew up with. This strain is apparently from Mexico and Central America.

TennesseeTuxedo":36rodd60 said:
thommoos":36rodd60 said:

These aren't the typical Turkey Vultures we all grew up with. This strain is apparently from Mexico and Central America.
I believe they are separated species from Turkey Vultures. These black vultures isn't the only animal that is invading United States. The armadillo also invading in United States too and they have been spotted in Minnesota this summer!

TennesseeTuxedo":1v5plpme said:
thommoos":1v5plpme said:

Thats exactly right. these arent your typical vultures we have seen around here.

Dam buzzards! They were circling over the cows again today. We have three cows due in a couple of weeks and one looks like she might calve early so I'm thinking about moving them to my mother-in-laws place because I haven't noticed any buzzards there.

I haven't seen any here in KY. These buzzards sound awful. So, far, our Turkey vultures aren't killing anything. Actually, my dad was recently talking about how they seem to be fewer in number than when he was younger.

herofan":3i5mq7sx said:
I haven't seen any here in KY. These buzzards sound awful. So, far, our Turkey vultures aren't killing anything. Actually, my dad was recently talking about how they seem to be fewer in number than when he was younger.
You must be in a buzzard no fly zone. Ky has plenty of the black headed ( head is more grey than black) or mexican buzzard. They run with the turkey or red headed buzzard. From a distance I cannot tell them apart but I can through a rifle scope. :D