Buzzards and Vultures

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
The buzzards and vultures are very bad this year. If your having calves right now in the south, keep your eyes open and your shotgun handy. Don't know as we have ever had this much trouble with them.

Very bad here in Tennessee! I actually talked to the Game Warden about them (as most species are illegal to shoot) and his advice was - "Go ahead and shoot in their direction to scare them... if they happen to fly into your shot, it's their problem!!"

Hate those nasty creatures!!

jedstivers":2ggxqkwx said:
Can anyone post a pic of the Mexican one? I saw some the other day that didn't look like the ones we have had.
If you google "black vulture" you should get a bunch of pictures

Had 2 land next to a new calf this past Saturday! They were huge. First I've seen. Coyotes are hanging around here during the day. I haven't seen one but our neighbor saw it in our pasture. Another friend had one in her back yard 10 feet from her back yard. I need to hone my shootin skills!

Very bad here. Found my last heifer and her just born calf surrounded by them on 10/24/12. There were about 40 of them. On the ground, in the trees, etc. I got within 25 yards before they moved off. I was yelling and waving my arms. Some were black and some were the turkey vulture. The calf was under mom and mom was making her last stand. After I got the birds off, she moved a few hour old calf into the herd which I find to be unusual as they normally stay out alone with the calf the first day. The afterbirth was no doubt part of the attaction especially for the turkey vultures. I got rid of it. I got my rifle and returned. Called the extension agent and she said several farmers had lost calves this year to vultures. If they are on livestock, the local warden had excused anyone who was shooting them. In fact, they would lynch anyone here right now who would try to stop a cattlement from shooting buzzards; they are that bad. One operation which has over 500 cows told me he was driving a tractor to the field to do work and saw the black ones on a calf before it had been totally delivered. He said everyone on his operation carried rifles now and were keeping score on who shot the most. Said you need a good long range rifle to do any good.

The Mexican Vultures are very bold. I hardly ever see a Turkey Vulture. The Mexican have taken over. We have a Great Pyrenees dog who does a good job keeping them away from the cattle.

I love my Donkey- but it is useless against buzzards.
They will let them come in and eat the afterbirth(no threat to the sheep). But once a big group gathers and moves on to lambs the Donkey can't be in enough spots at once.
Dog would be much better as it wouldn't like them in the pasture going after the placentas.

I make sure I clean up afterbirth- and that seems to stop the cycle from starting.

chippie":158md861 said:
The Mexican Vultures are very bold. I hardly ever see a Turkey Vulture. The Mexican have taken over. We have a Great Pyrenees dog who does a good job keeping them away from the cattle.
I bet it does a good job at that!!

For buzzards, if you ever get a big bunch of crows move in, they'll keep the carrion eaters harried so much they won't stick around long, but they'll also run off the hawks, mockingbirds and anything else they see as a threat to the young in their nest. I keep the crows run off during late spring when the garden is making, but let em stay this time of year.

The only buzzard I have hanging around my place has a white head and tail. He seems to like eating after birth. I think I would get in big trouble if I were to shoot him.

Dave":ywyhsx02 said:
The only buzzard I have hanging around my place has a white head and tail. He seems to like eating after birth. I think I would get in big trouble if I were to shoot him.

Big trouble might not cover it, ha ha. I see a few around here every year, MO Ozarks. My wife and kids got to see their first one on Thanksgiving Day sitting in a tree along side a river watching for fish. They were impressed.

The Black Vulture is common here and has a gray head that is unfeathered but not as much as the turkey vulture whuch has a red head. The gray unfeathered head of the black vulture is only seen if you are close. Otherwise, it looks all black!

Not sure if this works in large pasture setting but where I work we have permit to shoot them (turkey buzzards) and then hang dead buzzard upside down on post. this seems to work great to keep them off compost bin until legs rot off and they return. just a thought, not sure if same success with black but if your calving in confined area might be option

Dave":31pipxbs said:

Edited: I didn't pay attention to Dave's location
embarrassed.gif

He was talking about Bald Eagles. Duh.
The Mexican Eagles are plentiful here. They moved north with the Mexican Vultures. They will be feeding on the same carrion as the vultures.

That is a Mexican Eagle or Caarcara. They eat carrion and small stuff like my chickens. They won't bother calves like the Black Headed Vultures.

Crested-Caracara-Photos.jpg

The Crested Caracara (Caracara cheriway) is a member of the falcon family despite its quite non falcon-like behavior and appearance. It occurs in Florida, Texas and Arizona and southward into the tropical areas of Central and South America. A similar species, the Southern Caracara (Caracara plancus) occurs all the way south to the Tierra del Fuego area of South America. The Crested Caracara will often feed on snakes, lizards, and other live prey, but it will readily feed on carrion as well. This species has often been referred to as "Mexican Eagle" and is, in fact, thought to be the bird depicted on the original national emblem and flag of Mexico. The modern Mexican emblem and flag now show a Golden Eagle.