Buying new tractor tom I'm down to 2 helpppp.

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
I ve looked at a lot and I need a 85 hp tractor to hay and feed. My 2003 tn65 is just to small. Im getting a cab and Fel. Im down to a 2014 New Holland T4.85 or a Deere 5085E. Its basically the same money. Dealers are within 10 miles of the house the NH dealer probably a touch better on support-service. I like the New holland cab much better as it has more room, double doors, the buddy seat is cool. The gauges are much better. Besides that they are close. Tell me your opinions.

I have both a NH and a JD. Both good tractors. If the dealer is better and the features are better on the NH then that sounds like the direction to go. Either way you go congrats on the new wheels!

Put that buddy seat down when you're tired and you can have a comfortable nap in the cab :D

Double doors as in, one each side? Well the door latch on my 1994 Fiat snapped internally a week or so ago. That second door was pretty useful I tell you, I'd ha' been climbing out the back window without it.

If you could find a good used one wouldn't be a bad way to go. You could avoid all the Tier 4 emission crap the new ones have on em and probably down the road save thousands in repairs.

The computerization on these new machines scares the bejesus out of me... but from what I read, the NH sounds like the one.. You listed a whole bunch of things you like, including the dealer, and not one point for the JD.....

Hope whatever you get works out for you!

Resale and parts is all John Deere has going for them any more. I can have most any part for my
1964 JD 3020 tomorrow. I'm a JD man myself, but I'm thinking orange for my next new tractor.

highgrit":3429oc6h said:
Resale and parts is all John Deere has going for them any more. I can have most any part for my
1964 JD 3020 tomorrow. I'm a JD man myself, but I'm thinking orange for my next new tractor.
I can have the parts for a NH the next day also
In our area JD and NH parts all come out of a Dallas warehouse some of the NH parts also come out of a warehouse in Springfield Mo

We run nothing but JD tractors, but they are all older (newest is an '02 model). If I was buying new I think I'd buy a blue one, but that is due in large part because our NH dealer gives better service than the JD dealer by far. Plus on the models you are comparing, I've never heard a lot of good things about the JD "e" series and think it is more of a stripped down economy version compared to the 5000M series (or whatever it's called now). I've heard people who have had good look with their 4000 series NH though.

New Holland's only been selling tractors for 25 years and some parts are hard to come by already.
New Holland has more discontinued engines and tractor models in the last 25 years than JD.
That's the reason our counties are buying John Deere and Kubota. Back in the day most all the power companies and municipalities ran Ford tractors, when New Holland took over the blue started to disappear. And it's not because of price, you get more tractor for your money with New Holland, but is it worth it in the long run?

I have never had a problem with them bought my first nh in 06 it's a 99 model and and still have and I gave had a few more since the am down to 2 tractors now but had 4 at one time all were NH
Reason I went to NHs my last JDs had severe electrical problems that even JD couldnt get right
Now dont get me wrong JDs are the tractor to go to if you are looking in the 140hp or more range we have them from 180hp all the way to 310 hp and they make our living but under 100 hp there isnt much difference between any of them
If I was the original poster I would look for a TS110 or TS 110A and he would be getting a lot more tractor for less money even though it will be used

Angus Cowman":28e64k2p said:
Now dont get me wrong JDs are the tractor to go to if you are looking in the 140hp or more range we have them from 180hp all the way to 310 hp and they make our living but under 100 hp there isnt much difference between any of them

Very True :nod:

I bought a new 85 HP tractor last spring. I was comparing between NH, JD, and Kubota. I really liked the NH the best but the quote I got was around $2000 more than the Deere and $6-7000 more than the Kubota so I ended up getting a Kubota and so far am very happy with it. If prices were the same my order of preference would have been NH, Kubota, then JD. No big reason, just small things on each one.

HDRider":2f1r9o8p said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=92788&hilit=+5085e

I just bought 5085E. FEL, no cab. I don't have enough hours on it to say how good it is. Some of the E series are Indian, the 5085E is made in Georgia. I bought on reputation. NH is not very popular around me.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractor ... 5085e.html

My brother just bought a Kubota M7040. The JD is about 10 more HP and weighs about 2,000 more pounds.
I've got a 5093E cab and so far haven;t found anything I don;t like about it. I've only had it 3-4 years so maybe time will tell. So far it's done everything I've demanded and done it well. I know a half dozen others that have them, all cab tractors with the smallest being the 75 horse. Haven;t heard any complaints from any of them other then fuel consumption.

I ended up buying the New Holland T4.95. its 98 at engine and 82pto. After driving several models on some inclines etc. This just felt right. The power is there and I love the cab. Its just bigggggg. Im 6'5 and I have plenty of room. Plus I bought this tractor right price wise. I couldn't make myself by the 85hp after driving this one. Plus I paid same for this as Deere 5085e. I just had to go NH. Ive always wanted the deere but I gotta say the t4.95 for the money seems tough to beat. Its a bigggg tractor larger than the 5085e.Time will tell but the dealer did me good. Its veryyyyy quiet and I can't wait to bluetooth the iPhone and go to work.

Latest posts