Buying Johnson grass seed

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Prussic acid is like cougar attacks. It can happen, but it's no reason to not go in the woods. Greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. And actually can occur in any plant.
In fact one of the most documented cases of a 100percent herd loss from prussic acid was in nearby Bastrop. On a pure stand of Bermuda pasture. Also prussic acid is of zero danger in hay. If Branded would quit showing his ignorance and listen to people who know what their talking about he might be able to actually make more than a Bale per 5 acres
Since you put so much into name dropping...
Raven has some pics of use cutting some Johnson grass... really making hay

Bright Raven said:
callmefence said:
Prussic acid is like cougar attacks. It can happen, but it's no reason to not go in the woods. Greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. And actually can occur in any plant.
In fact one of the most documented cases of a 100percent herd loss from prussic acid was in nearby Bastrop. On a pure stand of Bermuda pasture. Also prussic acid is of zero danger in hay. If Branded would quit showing his ignorance and listen to people who know what their talking about he might be able to actually make more than a Bale per 5 acres

Do you really want me to post video? I have Johnson grass in the hayfield that looks like it needs a machete to get through. I would VASTLY prefer Orchard, timothy, and red clover in it's place.

There are people I know that put up hay, and they think that whatever is tall, and thick is the best hay, in fact, some wait until September to do their first cutting. TRUE! Lot more hay then, had all summer to grow. Brilliant rationale.

Is the goal to produce roughage or nutrition is my question?

I put this garbage up recently, it was grass, clover, weeds and of course the beloved Johnson grass, lots of it too. The cattle will eat it, but I've put up far better quality than this stuff. BTW is my windrow big enough? or should it be another foot or two higher?

[image]345[/image]

************* said:
Bright Raven said:
callmefence said:

Do you really want me to post video? I have Johnson grass in the hayfield that looks like it needs a machete to get through. I would VASTLY prefer Orchard, timothy, and red clover in it's place.

There are people I know that put up hay, and they think that whatever is tall, and thick is the best hay, in fact, some wait until September to do their first cutting. TRUE! Lot more hay then, had all summer to grow. Brilliant rationale.

Again you don't know what your talking about.
Johnson grass will outperform Timothy and orchard grass in protein and blow it out of the field in tdn. Check the link 5s provided from Noble. Why can't you shut up when you don't have a clue . Providing people with bad information in not right. Especially when you do it as you do in self promotion.
All the cattle sale sites are littered with you trying to sell your bulls . Some as cheap as 2500.00 , and we all know you don't have that many. That tells me everything about you and your cattle. Your counterfeit...and you can't sell a handful of bulls at even low prices without extensive social networking......I just hope ol tux don't get burned to bad.

************* said:
I put this garbage up recently, it was grass, clover, weeds and of course the beloved Johnson grass, lots of it too. The cattle will eat it, but I've put up far better quality than this stuff. BTW is my windrow big enough? or should it be another foot or two higher?

[image]345[/image]

That's not that big of a windrows
What you got there half a acre

callmefence said:
************* said:

[image]345[/image]

That's not that big of a windrows
What you got there half a acre

I'm balng my yard in that photo. I wait until I have a clear forecast to go "all in" on the 2 acre hayfield I have.

callmefence said:
************* said:
Bright Raven said:

Again you don't know what your talking about.
Johnson grass will outperform Timothy and orchard grass in protein and blow it out of the field in tdn. Check the link 5s provided from Noble. Why can't you shut up when you don't have a clue . Providing people with bad information in not right. Especially when you do it as you do in self promotion.
All the cattle sale sites are littered with you trying to sell your bulls . Some as cheap as 2500.00 , and we all know you don't have that many. That tells me everything about you and your cattle. Your counterfeit...and you can't sell a handful of bulls at even low prices without extensive social networking......I just hope ol tux don't get burned to bad.

Littered? LOL! You post on one site, Drover's cattle exchange and 100 others index it and use the same content. If you don't know how the net works.

Let me come clear, I am running about 17 head, half are bulls, they are all Registered Angus. Those two cute calves you saw are half of my 2019 calf crop, because I've failed to settle the others AI, but I keep trying, and I will get them bred this year or next. I'm in no hurry. As for the hay, I put up about 30 bales a year.

Why are you so rough on the small farmer like me? I try really hard, and your comments hurt my feelings, they really do!

I will be big time one of these days when I get a couple settled to a fancy bull, and grow my herd to 50. You just watch Fence!

As for TT, he ain't gonna buy till he gets himself a genuine, certified America bull. God bless America!

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Brings a tear to my eye just knowing Fence cares that much about me.

Thanks man.

LOL! He wants to make sure you don't get hoodwinked on America. I promise TT he will be DNA parentage proven, and his dam will be available for preview. I have a gal in mind if she gives us a bull from him. 2100 pounder, Rito on sire and dam side of pedigree, should make a decent calf. LMAO! If you want, I will skip the grain, and develop the bull solely on Johnson grass and thistle. He will still probably wean at 800+ at 205.

This is not @Branded, just dropping it off for posterity sake, for those that might read here for an actual education. If you've got one plant of Johnson grass, you've got the threat of prussic acid. A plant or a field managed properly is zero threat, especially a hay field. I've personally had many rolls of Johnson grass tested. Cut before maturity, it will blow just about anything your going to raise completely out of the water. People that don't like it for hay, have waited for it to get too mature. Perennial in nature, responds to very small amounts of nitrogen, tolerates an acid soil, and extremely palatable. I'm not implying it's for everybody, but it is a very viable option. I normally don't speak up, but I hate to see guff posted on here, when the forum is to spread knowledge.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
Brings a tear to my eye just knowing Fence cares that much about me.

Thanks man.

LOL! He wants to make sure you don't get hoodwinked on America. I promise TT he will be DNA parentage proven, and his dam will be available for preview. I have a gal in mind if she gives us a bull from him. 2100 pounder, Rito on sire and dam side of pedigree, should make a decent calf. LMAO! If you want, I will skip the grain, and develop the bull solely on Johnson grass and thistle. He will still probably wean at 800+ at 205.

See I don't comment on the top Angus bulls ....
Well honestly because I don't know anything about them...if you would learn to shut up and listen on subjects you know nothing about. You would spend less time talking around your foot.....

Bigfoot said:
This is not @Branded, just dropping it off for posterity sake, for those that might read here for an actual education. If you've got one plant of Johnson grass, you've got the threat of prussic acid. A plant or a field managed properly is zero threat, especially a hay field. I've personally had many rolls of Johnson grass tested. Cut before maturity, it will blow just about anything your going to raise completely out of the water. People that don't like it for hay, have waited for it to get too mature. Perennial in nature, responds to very small amounts of nitrogen, tolerates an acid soil, and extremely palatable. I'm not implying it's for everybody, but it is a very viable option. I normally don't speak up, but I hate to see guff posted on here, when the forum is to spread knowledge.

You are correct BF but in a pasture at the wrong time, disaster could strike. We have it on the farm and I keep an eye on when they'll graze it.

Bigfoot said:

Thank you for the post. My beef is with the crowd that cuts it at the very latest stage possible thinking that more is better. If cut early, I think it's ok.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:

You are correct BF but in a pasture at the wrong time, disaster could strike. We have it on the farm and I keep an eye on when they'll graze it.

What always troubles me is....does it take a killing frost or does just a light frost make it dangerous? Usually we have a few light frosts over a two or three week period before we have a hard frost. I have heard it takes a killing frost...but Idk.

************* said:
Bigfoot said:

Thank you for the post. My beef is with the crowd that cuts it at the very latest stage possible thinking that more is better. If cut early, I think it's ok.

Man your full of corn. You started out with a beef against people wanting Johnson grass, then you beef was purasic poisoning, now your beef is with cutting it to soon. Just read back folks. Do you just lie for the fun of it, or do you have some sort of condition. ...

Shred it in the fall and remove your frost possible problems. It ain't gonna grow much after that anyway.
Its a good time to use your shredder to spread the seeds. Plant something like rye grass into the stubble.
I like oats.