Buying Johnson grass seed

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
This is a new one.

Why in the h.ll would anyone knowingly plant Johnson grass? We have tons of it here and I would do anything to be rid of it all.

This stuff is the absolute worst! Maybe it's better than thistles and ironweed, if I want to put a positive slant on things.

Input cost are low, production is high, it's perennial, feed value is excellent, the list is longer.

Bigfoot said:
************* said:
This is a new one.

Why in the h.ll would anyone knowingly plant Johnson grass? We have tons of it here and I would do anything to be rid of it all.

This stuff is the absolute worst! Maybe it's better than thistles and ironweed, if I want to put a positive slant on things.

Input cost are low, production is high, it's perennial, feed value is excellent, the list is longer.

Acknowledged Captain Kirk. But I still am spraying it when I see it.

Bright Raven said:
Bigfoot said:
************* said:
This is a new one.

Don't fight it Ron, enjoy it.

Bigfoot said:
Bright Raven said:
Bigfoot said:

If you come over and see my forage, you will know why I don't need it.

Bigfoot said:
Bright Raven said:
Bigfoot said:

If you come over and see my forage, you will know why I don't need it.

You fell in on it with your bushhog yet? Bout that time.

Last 3 days. Went out early this morning, mowed about 2 hours and looked back, the shaft was turning but was not cutting. The stump jumper dropped off. Now I will have to turn it upside down and put the thing back together. I lost the castle nut too. Always something. Lol

It would be nice to have good grass to mow, but most don't in this part of the world. Johnson grass is going to grow whether you like it or not so why not take advantage of it? Its a darn good forage on not so good land and as shown by SS Cattle, it can be very nutritious.
JG hay is way underrated. You can usually buy it fairly cheap because the horse crowd can't use it. Its one of those things that CB says "why fight it"

************* said:
This is a new one.

Why would anyone not want it.
Noble pretty much calls it the best cow feed that grows. It's only disadvantages actually occur in all grasses and only require a little common sense to manage......you know what never mind.... something just occurred to me.

bird dog said:
It would be nice to have good grass to mow, but most don't in this part of the world. Johnson grass is going to grow whether you like it or not so why not take advantage of it? Its a darn good forage on not so good land and as shown by SS Cattle, it can be very nutritious.
JG hay is way underrated. You can usually buy it fairly cheap because the horse crowd can't use it. Its one of those things that CB says "why fight it"

It's a heck of a lot easier and less costly to work with Ma Nature than fight her.
She will win! The only thing keeping her at bay is dollars.

Caustic Burno said:
bird dog said:

It's a heck of a lot easier and less costly to work with Ma Nature than fight her.
She will win! The only thing keeping her at bay is dollars.

Your comment is spot on correct. I've mowed more this year than ever before, mostly due to a lot of rain and heat.

Maybe goats could keep things at bay, but I've never seen weeds grow like they have this year.

I sometimes wonder what things would look like if I didn't touch a thing and came back in 20 years.

Prussic acid is like cougar attacks. It can happen, but it's no reason to not go in the woods. Greatly exaggerated and blown out of proportion. And actually can occur in any plant.
In fact one of the most documented cases of a 100percent herd loss from prussic acid was in nearby Bastrop. On a pure stand of Bermuda pasture. Also prussic acid is of zero danger in hay. If Branded would quit showing his ignorance and listen to people who know what their talking about he might be able to actually make more than a Bale per 5 acres
Since you put so much into name dropping...
Raven has some pics of use cutting some Johnson grass... really making hay

Latest posts