Buying cattle.

Help Support CattleToday:

Buckaroo

Reaction score
I just filled out some paperwork at the local FSA office here and should here back on when i can start buying some cattle. I was wandering what you all think they will look like price wise this winter maybe first part of next year. Also wandering if any body knows of some possible dispersal sales that might be comeing up that would be worth looking at. Not looking for reg. cattle just commercial. Something like hereford black baldies saler or even some limmy cattle. Thanks ahead of time.

Darn, there's two really nice black angus cows for $1,050 and they will calve next month. Also seen nice Angus x Saler heifers for sale...too bad they are in Minnesota. Hasn't found any hereford cows/heifers for sale.

Who in their right mind would sell good cows. The market is good now and going to get better. Took 2 old broken mouth cows, and a 16 year old with her calf to the sale. Almost $2,800 go figure. Good Luck

highgrit,
I'd never consider buying cows at the salebarn - gotta consider any going through the sale to be there because of a 'problem' - though that may not always be the case.
Not selling anything but open cows right now, but, in response to your question, 'Why would anyone sell good cows?' - I can tell you that, due to a change in our breeding plan, we'll be selling off some nice 3/4 - 7/8 Angus cows, most with 2-3 generations of AI breeding behind 'em, within the next 2-3 years that'll be in the 4-7 yr age range - not because they're bad, but because they've got to leave to make room for the oncoming heifers. It's gonna be hard making the culling decision on a lot of 'em.
Still haven't decided how to attempt to market 'em, when the time comes.

Buckaroo":w0omfbb6 said:
I just filled out some paperwork at the local FSA office here and should here back on when i can start buying some cattle. I was wandering what you all think they will look like price wise this winter maybe first part of next year. Also wandering if any body knows of some possible dispersal sales that might be comeing up that would be worth looking at. Not looking for reg. cattle just commercial. Something like hereford black baldies saler or even some limmy cattle. Thanks ahead of time.

High.

To start I would suggest you buy quality rather than quantity and build your own herd from there.

You might contact some local cattlemen and see if they will sell you a couple head. Do that a few times and you might have a good base to start from. You might give a call to Kelly Melius at Common Sense Mfg in Faulkton as he makes cattle equipment, raises cattle and may know of someone looking to sell. A real nice guy to work with also. Kelly shouldn't be too far from you in C SD. You have to be creative in this type market. Good luck

Jim

I dont know about you folks down south but here in my part of south dakota we are dry and i mean real dry. Cattle have been going down since june. If you look at some sale barns report there are some bred cattle on sept 20th for instance 40 head of 4-5 yrs bred weight 1122 went for 1250. Also 56 2-3 yrs weight 1072 went for 1295. Some BM bred cows weight 1188 went for 810. Consider this from last spring when i was at a sale barn and seen those same type of young cattle going for over 200 bred heifers touching 2300 bred and BM cows bred going for 1200 and if were pairs bringing 2800 easy. Now this is right before calving or just after and the prices now are because you will still have to winter them before calving but still they are going down in price around us. I was talking to a few cattle buyers and most of them think 4-6 yrs old bred cows when (they say if but in our country its just a matter of when) heavy snow come will go for 800 and the highest i heard any of them say would be around that 1000 when the snow hits. It is the same concept here that you seen down south last year wasnt it when cattle were being sold cheap cause no one had pasture no one had feed. calves were being weaned early and sold. Only thing is there are a bunch of folks holding on hoping for another easy winter like last year but that was a once in 50 year type winter for us. So when that snow comes they will be selling alot of them say. That is when the price will start down for us again. Concept the same too many good years in a row and they forgot what dry is around here and alot of them sent that hay down south since it was bringing so much money to only wish they would kept it. You see all feed selling high around here. the up side for our country is that since the corn didnt make and alot of milo didnt either that its going into silage piles because if nitrate levels so calf prices are staying up since there is silage to feed. We probably wont have the long dry spell like you folks get in the south but it is a dry enough year that it has forced our bred cattle prices down and feed prices up. If winter brings good snow and spring brings some rain than you will see our bred cows prices do the same thing it is in the south now. They will go from way down to heading back up in price. So I myself am filling out that same paper work for the FSA office on a low interest loan. At 1 and 1/8 interest rate and if them bred younger cows hit that 1000 dollar mark for us i am hopefully going to be standing in a spot to buy 150 head more. Because i cant pencil those $2000 + cows out for making a payment and running them. 1000 dollar cattle are a different story. So can i say what price they will be next Jan no but i can say they are alot cheaper than last spring threw end of may and chances are going down. Sale barns will yes be full of other peoples hard culling trying to just keep thier best but least you wont be paying 1800 for them and alot of the culls i have seen already went. This winter we will be down to some better cattle going to sale because of feed.

bred cows here are going cheap also, pastures are dried up & hay is scarce. if your have feed now is the time to buy as i think they will double in price by spring & their calves will be higher next year also. if they are having any complete dispersals, they would be the best place to buy. but i have bought many at regular sales, but you need to know what you are looking at. good luck & god bless

Lon":1o51g56l said:
I dont know about you folks down south but here in my part of south dakota we are dry and i mean real dry. Cattle have been going down since june. If you look at some sale barns report there are some bred cattle on sept 20th for instance 40 head of 4-5 yrs bred weight 1122 went for 1250. Also 56 2-3 yrs weight 1072 went for 1295. Some BM bred cows weight 1188 went for 810. Consider this from last spring when i was at a sale barn and seen those same type of young cattle going for over 200 bred heifers touching 2300 bred and BM cows bred going for 1200 and if were pairs bringing 2800 easy. Now this is right before calving or just after and the prices now are because you will still have to winter them before calving but still they are going down in price around us. I was talking to a few cattle buyers and most of them think 4-6 yrs old bred cows when (they say if but in our country its just a matter of when) heavy snow come will go for 800 and the highest i heard any of them say would be around that 1000 when the snow hits. It is the same concept here that you seen down south last year wasnt it when cattle were being sold cheap cause no one had pasture no one had feed. calves were being weaned early and sold. Only thing is there are a bunch of folks holding on hoping for another easy winter like last year but that was a once in 50 year type winter for us. So when that snow comes they will be selling alot of them say. That is when the price will start down for us again. Concept the same too many good years in a row and they forgot what dry is around here and alot of them sent that hay down south since it was bringing so much money to only wish they would kept it. You see all feed selling high around here. the up side for our country is that since the corn didnt make and alot of milo didnt either that its going into silage piles because if nitrate levels so calf prices are staying up since there is silage to feed. We probably wont have the long dry spell like you folks get in the south but it is a dry enough year that it has forced our bred cattle prices down and feed prices up. If winter brings good snow and spring brings some rain than you will see our bred cows prices do the same thing it is in the south now. They will go from way down to heading back up in price. So I myself am filling out that same paper work for the FSA office on a low interest loan. At 1 and 1/8 interest rate and if them bred younger cows hit that 1000 dollar mark for us i am hopefully going to be standing in a spot to buy 150 head more. Because i cant pencil those $2000 + cows out for making a payment and running them. 1000 dollar cattle are a different story. So can i say what price they will be next Jan no but i can say they are alot cheaper than last spring threw end of may and chances are going down. Sale barns will yes be full of other peoples hard culling trying to just keep thier best but least you wont be paying 1800 for them and alot of the culls i have seen already went. This winter we will be down to some better cattle going to sale because of feed.

A very good post, Lon. Thank you.

however as you say, people that need to sell will cull the bottom of their cows, keeping the top.

What I am suggesting to theOP is to look around and see if he can buy a few of the top cows from a few people to establish a herd. I got the impression he was starting a herd not looking to roll some cattle next spring for a quick profit.

Jim

Latest posts