Buying Cattle from sales

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyAway

Reaction score
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A friend of mine and I will be buying a few beef calf at the sales within the next few months. We're looking to buy 500-700#ers. My question is what do we need to be on the lookout for as far as health problems with calves coming for a sales? Is there any medications we should have on hand?
Thanks,
Chris in PA

Agree with G&L, as you go the the sale, go early and look closely at the cattle, remember that although most cattle sold there are sold as healthy feeders, etc, there are plenty of culls being brought in to sell as well.

If you can see them being unloaded, you can often ask the seller about them.

If not, look at the body's and score each one in your mind, look for any tell tale signs on respiratory problems, that is heavy or rapid shallow breathing, runny noses, noses that contain green or yellow snot, or excessive mucus, Also look for chapped or red noses, running, or watery eyes. Are they standing normal and erect? or stretched out and oddly standing? Hunched up?

\Look at the hair coat, is it in good condition> is it in a condition to match the current season, ie: winter coat for winter time, summer coat for warmer weather. When cattle do not get good nutrition, often the hair will show it, being dull, patchy, and or, delayed in conversion to match season changes. Any obvious signs of external parasites?Bald spots? shedding areas?

check out the tail head, fat? good condition, or sunken in?

check the manure either as it poops or the stuff that is still on it's butt and tail, look normal or excessively fluid> blood? other odd coloring?
( often cattle being shipped will get runny manure due to stress)

check the reproductive organs...normal? or enlarged? puss? injuries?

see it walk. alot of cattle grow wheels after they have injuries to the pelvis, legs and or feet. look at the feet, hooves ok? or growing oddly?

Just as you would check out a car you want to buy, give any cattle the same attention. Mechanics can fix your vehicle alot easier sometimes then you can repair or make healthy a broke down or sick cow. Been there done that.

Good luck in your purchases, and don't let anyone push a looser on you.

:p

The only thing I would add to the above, is get next to the animals and see how they react. If you can't do that, watch how they behave when they're being worked by the salbarn personel or even when people just walk past the pens. Unless they've been doped up, which happens, if they just look kind of interested or wander away that's a good sign, if they act nuts, I wouldn't take a chance on them.

dun

That's one more reason why it's best to unload them into a lot or catch pen where they can settle down for a day or so. That way, if you did buy a fool, the fool is already caught.

Craig-TX

Any cattle that we buy from an unknown person or from a sale barn is automatically quarantined for a week sometimes more away from the herd. Our feeling is it is easier to control a disease in one animal than it is in our whole herd. The chances of bringing home a disease from a sale barn is pretty good. We try and take some precautions. Things happen anyways but it helps.
We have been pretty lucky so far.
Best of luck! :cboy:

Try and find one of those special feeder calf sales where all the calves are on a health program. There's different ones, but they are basically the same requirements. The calves should have been weaned 30 days, had their shots and been cut or banded. They will cost a bit more, but I think it's worth it to have to deal with a bunch of sick calves.

Jena

I have noticed that some relatively calm animals really freak out in a sale barn setting.

An example: I don't use a hot shot unless I have to, I don't yell at the cows or smack them around. I don't run them around all the time. My calves are all pretty calm, I can go out in the pasture and stand among them and they don't haul off running away.

There was 1 particular herf/angus steer calf that went to the auction with a small group of preconditioned calves that I sold a little over a year ago. He was calm as the others were too. The barn uses electric prods, to move the calves around (as do most other barns) Well, this little steer went haywire. He crashed through the barn and went over the sorting gate. Anyone who saw him would have thought he was a nutcase, but that wasn't how he really was.

Anyway, just realize that the way an animal acts in a sale barn is not necessarily indicitive to the way the animal truly behaves. That being said, I too would agree, I would choose animals that are calm there too, you will have a much better chance of them being calm in a pasture setting also.

Oh that is one thing, very important I failed to mention. If you do find several animals you want to buy, as stated earlier, keep them seperate from the others until you know you have a healthy animal.
We always assume that the cattle we bring in are not vacinated OR wormed, and do the first shots upon arrivel. Don't use antibiotics unless you think the animal is sick, as it may interfer with any vacines.

Keep in mind that most vacines require a second dose, usually from 10-15 days after the first, and will not actually build any immunity until approx. 15 days AFTER the second dose. unless it is specificly a one dose vacine.

so.. sometimes a real balancing act when introducing new cattle onto the farm. If you have the ways and means to keep the cattle seperated for up to two weeks or so, please do so to protect the investment you already have on your farm. This is what we do, and we have never been sorry we did that, sometimes, finding sickness in our new cattle just before we let them loose from the holding lot. Plus it will give you a chance to spend some up close time with them so that they can get used to you and you to them. I prefer working with quiet cattle, and that is the way we work, so if it turns out not to be a keeper, it is much easier to put wheels back under them back to the sale barn without possibly introducing any pathogens or bad behavoir to you existing herd.

Latest posts