Buying bred Heifers... Why even do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Learned my lesson on buying bred heifers that I don't know the genetics of the animals.
Got a really good deal on a real nice heifer at the sale, beautiful Angus and we were looking forward to the calf. Getting close to calving I got to wondering why she was sold...found out when she went into labor...took my son a little over two hours to pull the calf and the heifer was down locked up for another two and then wouldn't take the calf no matter what we tried.
95 pound bull calf on the bottle..traded him for hay to a friend that had a nurse cow that needed another calf.
DMc

cypressfarms":z0wr9av8 said:
For the life of me I don't know why the price of bred heifers is always sky high compared to a 4 or 5 year old cow. I've ranted about this on other people's thread, so I thought I'd rant on my own.

This is mainly intended at those who buy heifers from replacement sales. Why do it? What gain is there in it? I have a hard time just keeping my own heifers, and still are uncomfortable at calving time. Too many uncertainties. Are they going to have calving difficulty, are they going to abandon the calf, will they have enough milk, etc. etc. etc.

So for the pros out there, give me the best reasons why someone should go the route of buying bred heifers when a 5 year old bred cow can be had for 60% (that's my estimate) of the price of a bred heifer? I'm really interested in the different opinions out there...

I have never figured it out myself unless for genetic reasons. You can't raise one to production for what you can buy a heavy for.

Santas and Duhram Reds":l0i6b552 said:
I don't understand when a pair is brought into a registered sale and the heifer (weaned in the ring) will bring as much or more than the cow that raised her.
It's like 7 card no peekie, your betting on the come

Santas and Duhram Reds":2p1x6dj6 said:
I don't understand when a pair is brought into a registered sale and the heifer (weaned in the ring) will bring as much or more than the cow that raised her.
I love it. They'll bring a pair in the ring that we are interested in the cow. They'll sell "Pick". We let the bid go - sure enough, they'll pick the heifer calf :shock: What are they thinking??? We buy the FACTORY!!! :banana:
Our biggest money makers are our young stock - but we keep the factory "assuming" we can reproduce a similar offspring - which year after year they keep pumping them out.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2wg1zj7h said:
I hear ya. We try to do the same thing. The cow is far more valuable imo.
When you sell "pick" or split them or however it's handled you bring more people into the bidding. You have the ones looking for a calf, those looking for a packer, those looking for sound cow to take back home and some wanting both. Usually the seller gets more money that way and all the buyers go home happy as well. If you're selling you could care less what they're thinking or planning.

TB - I totally agree - not denying that. Just amazes me that people are willing to pay more for a weanling calf than they are for the dam that produced that calf & is bred back. Now, in my case I'm talking a PB c/c. I've seen the calf go for over $4000 and I got the cow for less. I mean a GOOD cow. I only buy what will fit into the top 10% of my herd.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":rrz5vawx said:
TB - I totally agree - not denying that. Just amazes me that people are willing to pay more for a weanling calf than they are for the dam that produced that calf & is bred back. Now, in my case I'm talking a PB c/c. I've seen the calf go for over $4000 and I got the cow for less. I mean a GOOD cow. I only buy what will fit into the top 10% of my herd.
Well everybody is supposedly always improving their cattle so daughter should be better than mom (in theory). And as you say I've seen a lot of registered heifers bring more than the mom...depending on the time of the year sometimes these buyers are also buying show calf prospects.

cypressfarms":265htawr said:
For the life of me I don't know why the price of bred heifers is always sky high compared to a 4 or 5 year old cow. I've ranted about this on other people's thread, so I thought I'd rant on my own.

This is mainly intended at those who buy heifers from replacement sales. Why do it? What gain is there in it? I have a hard time just keeping my own heifers, and still are uncomfortable at calving time. Too many uncertainties. Are they going to have calving difficulty, are they going to abandon the calf, will they have enough milk, etc. etc. etc.

So for the pros out there, give me the best reasons why someone should go the route of buying bred heifers when a 5 year old bred cow can be had for 60% (that's my estimate) of the price of a bred heifer? I'm really interested in the different opinions out there...

I'm certainly not a pro, but I have no clue why people go this route. All bets are off with any first time calver, so why people insist on selling their own replacements with whom they can predict with a fair amount of certainty what is going to happen and replace them with unknowns is beyond me. As far as buying a 5 year old bred cow, she could very well be worse than a first timer. Bad mothers are bad mothers - regardless of their age - and they don't look any different than a good mother.

the facts are this you buy bred heifers because they are the newest genetics.an their calves will be better bred than they are.

bigbull338":2ug1wsmp said:
an their calves will be better bred than they are.

BigBull,

That is an important statement to make. Can you show evidence proving this? Not trying to be a smart alec, but everyone assumes this; I'd like to see some sort of proof before "assuming".

cypressfarms":iw583xqv said:
bigbull338":iw583xqv said:

BigBull,

That is an important statement to make. Can you show evidence proving this? Not trying to be a smart alec, but everyone assumes this; I'd like to see some sort of proof before "assuming".
That is a ROT based on most producers attempt to improve their herds every year.

dun":1wz2et0n said:
cypressfarms":1wz2et0n said:
bigbull338":1wz2et0n said:

BigBull,

That is a ROT based on most producers attempt to improve their herds every year.

O.k., I'll follow that. How can one tell, than, which heifer is "better" than her moma? I'm sorry if I come across as a smart ***, that's not my intention, but I think a lot of folks assume a heifer is better than her moma. This is getting to the real reason for starting the thread. How do you know, for a fact, that a heifer is better than her moma (longer lasting, more fertile, milks better, more efficient with feed, etc.)?

cypress THAT is a crap shoot as well...I've bred cattle to bulls that should have turned out bodacious cattle, especially with holsteins. Offspring were real dogs....We learned over time that certain cattle just do not mate well with certain bulls no matter what the numbers said.

TexasBred":1sb4wnpd said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1sb4wnpd said:
Well everybody is supposedly always improving their cattle so daughter should be better than mom (in theory). And as you say I've seen a lot of registered heifers bring more than the mom...depending on the time of the year sometimes these buyers are also buying show calf prospects.

I can see the show calf prospect angle, but to me as a breeder I believe the bred cow standing in the ring with a great calf at her side is just plain worth more. She has proven she is fertile and has the ability to wean a good calf. No weanling can make that claim.

bigbull338":1jpcrh5o said:
the facts are this you buy bred heifers because they are the newest genetics.an their calves will be better bred than they are.

Although sometimes true, I respectfully disagree with this statement! Around here, ya buy heifers because you're tapping into that guys, (oops, sorry ladies) that sellers herd. Or if they're a put-together bunch of heifers, your buying on that sellers reputation as selling quality cattle.

the reason that i say heifers are better than their mommas is this.now days most people buy the best bulls they can afford for their cows an heifers.thus making most calves better than their mommas.when you buy cows your buying the breeders older genetics.i priced a bunch of reg beefmaster cows an bred heifers last nite.the guy wanted $1550 for cows coming with their 2nd an 3rd calves delivered.

Latest posts