Buying bred Heifers... Why even do it?

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":2leyp71p said:
now days most people buy the best bulls they can afford for their cows an heifers.thus making most calves better than their mommas.

In theory yes, but what scares me is the thought of buying a bred heifer at a sale barn that looks great, but has a braford crossbred in her background ;-)

then you stay away from the sale barns.because almost anything you buy there will be a crapp shoot.unless your buying out of a complete sell out,maybe then youll be ok.my nephew started out buying heifers out of the sale barn because that what he thought he could afford.but his mind quickly changed,an he wont do that no more.he is going to buy only reg cattle from now own.

bigbull338":1bk6zals said:
then you stay away from the sale barns.because almost anything you buy there will be a crapp shoot.unless your buying out of a complete sell out,maybe then youll be ok.my nephew started out buying heifers out of the sale barn because that what he thought he could afford.but his mind quickly changed,an he wont do that no more.he is going to buy only reg cattle from now own.
You keep bringing up Reg cattle
just because a cow has REG papers doesn't mean she is any better than a commercial cow
as for buying hfrs

I would never buy hfrs out of a sale barn unless I knew the hfrs
I do and have bought LOTS of bred hfrs and they were pretty good did I have some I culled yes but even if I kept my own I would have some I would cull also
the main thing to remember on buying bred hfrs is to buy from a reputable person that raises and sells quality bred hfrs and that is their business and they stand behind them
and yes I do know they stand behind them because I have had some that didn't calve and they gave me the option of getting another bred hfr or selling the problem one and they would reimbursed me the difference between the slaughter price and the price I paid

Angus Cowman":4403xsks said:
bigbull338":4403xsks said:
You keep bringing up Reg cattle
just because a cow has REG papers doesn't mean she is any better than a commercial cow
as for buying hfrs

I would never buy hfrs out of a sale barn unless I knew the hfrs
I do and have bought LOTS of bred hfrs and they were pretty good did I have some I culled yes but even if I kept my own I would have some I would cull also
the main thing to remember on buying bred hfrs is to buy from a reputable person that raises and sells quality bred hfrs and that is their business and they stand behind them
and yes I do know they stand behind them because I have had some that didn't calve and they gave me the option of getting another bred hfr or selling the problem one and they would reimbursed me the difference between the slaughter price and the price I paid
And manages them similar to the way you do.

he reason that i keep saying reg cattle is this.i wouldnt give $500 for any straigh bred cow of any breed out of the pasture or sale barn.right now any kind of top comm cow crossbred or purebred brings $750 to $1500.an thats just to much to give for an old cow.i can buy reg cows all day long for $1500.so to me they are the best buy.took me 2yrs but i finally broke my nephew from buying out of the sale barn.

bigbull338":2xwcq6l5 said:
he reason that i keep saying reg cattle is this.i wouldnt give $500 for any straigh bred cow of any breed out of the pasture or sale barn.right now any kind of top comm cow crossbred or purebred brings $750 to $1500.an thats just to much to give for an old cow.i can buy reg cows all day long for $1500.so to me they are the best buy.took me 2yrs but i finally broke my nephew from buying out of the sale barn.
How do those papers on those reg cows taste cause just because they have papers don't mean they are worth a $hit
I have seen more reg cows that should of been culled when they were a calf but the paper blind people of the world were too dumb to know that
as for the calves bringing more maybe 1 out of 10 might bring more and the other 9 need their heads cut off the same as a comm calf does
the only difference is the guys raising comm calves know they need their head cut off but the reg guy always thinks he has the next super calf so he lets it produce and when it shouldn't have
and this has happened to every reg breed of animal I have ever seen from dogs, to cows to horses

well you see im not 1 of those paper blind breeders.i cull reg cows as hard or harder than a comm breeder.i wont spend the money to put papers on a heifer calf if they aint worth it.most likely im the kind that will cull a good herd bull calf,because i dont want to mess with raising it.

bigbull338":1b3clb5p said:
well you see im not 1 of those paper blind breeders.i cull reg cows as hard or harder than a comm breeder.i wont spend the money to put papers on a heifer calf if they aint worth it.most likely im the kind that will cull a good herd bull calf,because i dont want to mess with raising it.
Ditto

bigbull338":swskxwfy said:
but just because they are registered doesn't make them any better of a cow

you keep throwing around " I don't buy any cows unless they are reg "
and then you say you can buy reg cows for what comm cows are selling for
well if a reg cow isn't worth more than a comm cow then she probably isn't any better or as good as that top end comm cow
You said you broke your nephew from buying in a sale barn and he only buys reg cows now
well I wasn't talking about buying hfrs at a sale barn yes there are some good ones go thru but most of the time they are just what they are SALEBARN COWS and you can't expect anymore than that
goes back to appear that you think that if they got papers they are better than a comm cow
and most times that isn't right

if your gonna buy bred hfrs doesn't matter if they are reg or comm you need to buy them from a reputable proven producer

well lets see most guys take their heifer calves to the sale.an they are lucky if they get $400 to $600 at weaning time.where as if i sell any heifers private treaty i get $900 to $1000 right off the cow.building a herd im not selling any heifers.we have differant opions here,im just saying what works for me.

bigbull338":1qqz9a5w said:
well lets see most guys take their heifer calves to the sale.an they are lucky if they get $400 to $600 at weaning time.where as if i sell any heifers private treaty i get $900 to $1000 right off the cow.building a herd im not selling any heifers.we have differant opions here,im just saying what works for me.
Go ahead and send me several pot loads of them top end weaned $400 calves I will have the check waiting
don't take much of a calf to bring $7-$800 right now

your right anything with hide an legs will bring $700 or better.an we all know why that is,because the cow numbers are way low.an sooner or later the cow herd will get flooded again.if a drought dont fore a massive sell off again.

bigbull338":1li4ynw6 said:
your right anything with hide an legs will bring $700 or better.an we all know why that is,because the cow numbers are way low.an sooner or later the cow herd will get flooded again.if a drought dont fore a massive sell off again.
Whats funny is that for the last 3-4 years the "experts" have been predicting the increase in the cow herd, and it's lower now then in the past 10 years or so.
The catch is that beef production hasn;t declined along with the cow herd.

dun":kqfxd7ll said:
bigbull338":kqfxd7ll said:
Whats funny is that for the last 3-4 years the "experts" have been predicting the increase in the cow herd, and it's lower now then in the past 10 years or so.
The catch is that beef production hasn;t declined along with the cow herd.

I was thinking the same thing. Every year I tell myself that I need to increase my numbers, but with the price so high, it's hard to pass up. I don't see how the cow herd can increase in less than 3 to 4 years.

the reason that feeder calves are so high is because the feedlots have used all their reserves.an its either fill the pens or lock the gate an quit.1 day the cow herd maybe to big.but i dont see that happening anytime soon.

oh i forgot the massive dairy herd sell outs thats taking place.that puts a big kink in the amount of weigh cows on the market,thus affecting the berger prices.the feedlots loose a mass amount of steers there as well.because those steers no longer exist.

Angus Cowman said

well I wasn't talking about buying hfrs at a sale barn yes there are some good ones go thru but most of the time they are just what they are SALEBARN COWS and you can't expect anymore than that (quote)

You all keep culling them salebarn cows, I love them. :lol2: :lol2:

I often wish CT had a "Like" button like facebook. I like the heck out of some of this.

But back to the initial question, I don't think I read this in a previous comment, but if I'm wrong, please pardon the duplication.

The only good argument I can make for buying bred heifers is this: If I buy a large group of bred heifers from a breeder that's been working with the same genetics for some time, I can get a really uniform group of cows to start a herd, and if they're all bred to the same bull, I'll get a fairly uniform calf crop. And that's important to some people. By the time a group of cows is 4 or 5 years old, chances are some have been added from a place or two here and there. It's also unlikely that a group of cows is all going to be the same age if one farm is selling a large number of females.

But hey, what another person wants to spend his or her money on is none of my business, and if you've got someone willing to pay a king's ransom for a bred heifer, good for you. Different strokes and all that...

kenny thomas":z4oy5uva said:
Angus Cowman said

well I wasn't talking about buying hfrs at a sale barn yes there are some good ones go thru but most of the time they are just what they are SALEBARN COWS and you can't expect anymore than that (quote)

You all keep culling them salebarn cows, I love them. :lol2: :lol2:
go back to your corner ya dang cow trader-+
:lol:

Latest posts