Buy a bull or ????

Help Support CattleToday:

livestock101

Reaction score
Where we live it's quite small. We're the largest city in our county even though our cities population is less than 3000. We have a small cattle herd. We need to get them bred. I had planned on having them AI'd but had trouble finding an AI tech. I called our local vet and he told me that he can perform the AI but does not have facilities to hold the semen. I called the local extention office and they told me there are no AI tech's in this area. I have since found that the closest AI tech is 1 1/2 hours away.

So......this is my question. Were thinking about buying a bull, using him for a couple years and then either sell him or make hamburger out of him. We want to build up our herd so maybe use him, keeping any heifers calfs we like out of him until they are old enough to be bred and get rid of him at that point and get another. I know what a decent bull will cost. I've taken that into consideration and we have adequate facilities (fencing, corrals, etc) to hold a bull.

What do you think? Bad idea? We only have a handful of cattle so I just dont know what to do. We had thought about leasing a bull but not many want to go that route as there is always a possibility of bringing some new sickness into your herd.

Thoughts?

How many is a handful of cattle? I have 10 cows and breed them AI. I don't want/need to keep a bull year round for 60 days worth of service.

Why not go to school, the classes I took were only 1 1/2 days long to AI your cows yourself. Buy a tank, supplies and some semen and forget the bull. JMHO

since you dont know how to AI or have a seman tank.id buy a bull.an like was said if you buy from a reputable herd.you wont have to worry bout bringing in dieases.bottomline buying a bull would be the best rout for you.

ALACOWMAN":4ay33m5q said:
sickness won't be much of a issue buying from a reputable breeder. what kind of cow's?

I'm not worried about sickness in regard to buying a bull, just when leasing one. Sorry, that's what I was talking about. Not many cattlemen around here are willing to lease bulls based on their bull contracting new diseases from being leased out.

We've got 8 head total, angus crosses and a few hereford.

bigbull338":4ay33m5q said:
since you dont know how to AI or have a seman tank.id buy a bull.an like was said if you buy from a reputable herd.you wont have to worry bout bringing in dieases.bottomline buying a bull would be the best rout for you.

I tend to agree just not sure if it's the sane thing to do. I know it will cost to feed him out over winter. There's plenty of hay and alfalfa available here and it's rather cheap. We're gonna have 4 tons left over from this winter alone.

Our corral...... large and built with railroad ties spaced 4 feet apart, walls constructed of 2x6's 6 feet high. Enough to hold a bull?

Our perimeter fencing is barbed wire. Posts are 5 feet apart, running 7 strands.

There are risks which ever way you decide to go. Even AI.
I personally would buy a bull if you have 5 or more cows.
It doesn't need to be a high $ bull, just one that will get the job done. You can upgrade at a later date.
One reason I always like to have a bull around is that you will know if and when one of your cows miscarries and the cows seem to be more content with a bull around.

I haven't seen this one mentioned before so I'm going to through it out there.
Have you considered asking a neighbor to loan you his bull?
We have two neighbors who we loan bulls.

Also, it sounds like there is a demand for a lease bull in your area. Why not buy a bull and lease your bull out when you don't need him?

Or go into partners with someone and buy a good bull for all of you.

Sir Loin":3czk3ykx said:
Also, it sounds like there is a demand for a lease bull in your area. Why not buy a bull and lease your bull out when you don't need him?

This is an interesting idea. When I called the extention office a couple weeks ago they told me I was the second call that week inquiring about an AI tech needed. When I asked about the other caller, she said the person didnt have a bull and needed one for a small number of cattle. That's a thought, buy one and lease it out.

livestock101":18ge3twg said:
Sir Loin":18ge3twg said:

This is an interesting idea. When I called the extention office a couple weeks ago they told me I was the second call that week inquiring about an AI tech needed. When I asked about the other caller, she said the person didnt have a bull and needed one for a small number of cattle. That's a thought, buy one and lease it out.

Another thought could be to learn how to AI and offer your services to other folks. Sounds like there may be a demand for an AI tech in your area.

Re:

Well if you liked that one, you will love this one.
Do what horse people do.

Not only do you charge for servicing per cow, have them bring them to your farm for breading and charge a daily boarding fee. Or you pick them up and deliver them back for another fee.

i like the thought of own'in my own bull. no one to answer to. all problems are mine. you are in control. best to remain as independent with your herd as possilble.

Always did natural service in the past but AI'd last year and was on the band wagon...got a good deal on a nicl little Lim bull this spring so it is back to natural service. Only have fourteen to breed and after the pencil work was finished we'll be money ahead having him on the payroll. Besides he is what we are looking for....short, wide and long with a butt like a Buick.
Dave Mc

Why not buy a bull, keep him long enough to breed your cows, and then sell him so you don't have to feed him over the winter? Then do the same thing next year.

Another option that you might try is: Talk to some of your neighbors, Find one who is on the opposite breeding program than the one you want to be on (fall vs Spring calving). Sometimes a rancher will be willing to rent his bull to you for the breeding season. However, if you do this make sure you test the bulls. Here in the west Tric is a major problem.

A few years ago we had ten head and was trying to A.I them only. I know some can get them all bred but we got them bred and calving at all kinds of different times. Had to move a couple to fall calving that started as spring. Unless you are really on top of things with the A.I work it can be time consuming with low results.

I would follow some of the others advice, maybe you can pick up a older bull cheap from a local cattleman put him in for 3 months then sell him. If you buy him right you could break even or stay under the $500.00 or so it would take to A.I. your herd and be out less time and effort.

livestock101":5clkqjjc said:
Where we live it's quite small. We're the largest city in our county even though our cities population is less than 3000. We have a small cattle herd. We need to get them bred. I had planned on having them AI'd but had trouble finding an AI tech.
I called our local vet and he told me that he can perform the AI but does not have facilities to hold the semen.

You could buy a semen tank and the semen and have the vet do it.

But I would go with one of the other suggestions about a bull.

I called the local extention office and they told me there are no AI tech's in this area. I have since found that the closest AI tech is 1 1/2 hours away.

So......this is my question. Were thinking about buying a bull, using him for a couple years and then either sell him or make hamburger out of him. We want to build up our herd so maybe use him, keeping any heifers calfs we like out of him until they are old enough to be bred and get rid of him at that point and get another. I know what a decent bull will cost. I've taken that into consideration and we have adequate facilities (fencing, corrals, etc) to hold a bull.

What do you think? Bad idea? We only have a handful of cattle so I just dont know what to do. We had thought about leasing a bull but not many want to go that route as there is always a possibility of bringing some new sickness into your herd.

Thoughts?

Latest posts