Bush Hog Question.

Help Support CattleToday:

SFFarms

Reaction score
I got a buddy that wants me to bush hog about 40 acres of dead fescue and grass for him. Well i havent bush hogged for anyone and i was wondering how i should charge him? He said he'll pay me for it, but what is a good way to charge him by the acre? Or by the hour?
-Also what is a general price range ill be looking at?

Ill be grateful for any help you can get me. :) :tiphat:

SFF

SFFarms":3ew19fpp said:
I got a buddy

If you want to keep it that way, refer him to someone else. Time, fuel and equipment wear make it next to impossible to make it worth your while.

If he's a "good" buddy and the likelihood of doing damage to your equipment is little to none, do the project for him. When you're finished tell him to pay you what it's worth to him. If he's a good buddy he'll treat you right. If he's not a good buddy, then you'll know.

if he is a real good buddy that would do it for u do it for free
or he might let u cut it for hay next year

You have got some good advice,but if you just want a price call your extention agent.He should be able to give you a custom hire avg. for your state.

Too many unknown variables... Is the pasture "clean" of hidden debris, wire, objects? Any sinkholes you could drop in to? Etc....

Forget the "good buddy" syndrome. You are "hiring out equipment and labor".

In these parts we're looking at around $50 an hour for labor, equipment, fuel. for small tractor/equipment work. In this price, you're also covering your A## for any junk caught in your blades (aka hours of untangling work possible), possible flat tires from objects in pasture, etc.

If you don't feel "right" about charging what it's worth, refer him to someone else. Even "good buddies" don't always return a favor later...talk is cheap...money is the best conversation...

:cowboy:

Well he's got about about 80 acres i just got done cutting this one part of 40a thats hes gonna give me for hay. This other 40a is a lil rough a couple sinkholes but nothing major. But it has alot of dead fescue stems and about knee high green grass, i was thinking of also baling it but wouldnt know if it be worth my time. He said whatever i dont bale he'll pay me to bushog. which ill just use my ole disc mower and cut that.

SFFarms":12osxu4l said:
I got a buddy that wants me to bush hog about 40 acres of dead fescue and grass for him. Well i havent bush hogged for anyone and i was wondering how i should charge him? He said he'll pay me for it, but what is a good way to charge him by the acre? Or by the hour?

SFF

SFFarms":12osxu4l said:
Well he's got about about 80 acres i just got done cutting this one part of 40a thats hes gonna give me for hay. This other 40a is a lil rough a couple sinkholes but nothing major. But it has alot of dead fescue stems and about knee high green grass, i was thinking of also baling it but wouldnt know if it be worth my time. He said whatever i dont bale he'll pay me to bushog. which ill just use my ole disc mower and cut that.

This second post sounds like a complete different scenario than your original post.

Where is this going and what are you really wanting to know?

I would respond different to each scenario you have described.

How is it, really?

backhoeboogie":9u49q4k0 said:
SFFarms":9u49q4k0 said:

SFF

SFFarms":9u49q4k0 said:

This second post sounds like a complete different scenario than your original post.

Where is this going and what are you really wanting to know?

I would respond different to each scenario you have described.

How is it, really?

To be honest i need all the hay i can get. But im kinda stuck on this one, this rough field has mostly all dead fescue stems but it has knee high green grass. It's thick in some spots but some thin i say probally 18-25 bales. I would like to bale it all but, if it pays more to just bush hog it why waste more time and money on not the best of hay?

I know he'll pay me for bush hogging, so thats not a problem. Im kinda stuck on what i should do.

I think your better off just makeing it for hay or mowing it for free,you might want to make it next year.If you don't like the hay sell it.The higher fertilizer gets the harder it's going to be to get people to give you top soil.

I'm letting a guy bale a huge field of horse quality coastal on the halves. He is tickled to death. It will probably make 340 bales. I gave him a field that is not quite as good but decent cattle hay. He is beside himself with appreciation.

I think im just gonna bale all of it and salvage what i can. I really would like to get the spring cutting but his father-in-law gets that and i got a deal for the fall only.

Thanks Guys for the help, :tiphat:

SFF

If you need the hay bale it , feed what's feedable and use the rest for bedding. If you get the field cleaned off now you might be able to make some nice hay next year if you can mow it before it gets too old .

Latest posts