Burr Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

calfbuyer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading posts from this forum for a while now but have just now became a member. I live in central texas and run a small cow/calf operation and also buy some stocker calves in the fall and put them on wheat/feed them. With the cost of farming going up every year due to fuel and fertilizer costs, i have been considering planting a cool season perrenial legume crop on my Klien/Love grass hay fields. I hear that they have developed a hybrid type of burr clover, i was thinking about going this route. Does anyone have any input on this? I would rather have first hand experience than some trial or experiment done by some university.

calfbuyer

The only one I can think of is Devine Little Burr Medic, which is not a hybrid. If you could find a name or more info on it I would be interested.
If your looking for nitrogen production you may want to look at yellow sweet clover.
Also for the best N output you need to make sure the P and K levels are right.

It is Devine Little Burr Medic. What do you know about it? Is it any different than the burr clover that grows naturally in central Texas? Haven't heard of Yellow Sweet Clover, is it an annual or perrenial?

YELLOW SWEET CLOVER IS PERRENIAL.
iT HAS FAIRLY GOOD ROOT PENETRATION TO LOOSEN THE SOIL AND IS A FAIRLY GOOD NITROGEN FIXER.
IT IS NOT THE MOST PALATABLE OF THE CLOVERS SO IT TENDS TO PERSIST A BIT BETTER THAN SOME.

I have found at least 5 different varieties of burr medic on my place plus sweet clover. (Cows don't touch the sweet clover) I talked to some people a TAMU and they all agreed planting something non native was usually no better than the native. They also said that keeping the P, K, and pH levels where they belong was much more important than variety.
All I know about little burr is what I have read. For all I know I may have some on my place. It is a native someone found and cultivated/propagated for commercial sales. From what I have read Armadillo is not a hybrid either but a cultivar selected for early maturity.

novatech":16z9sntr said:
I have found at least 5 different varieties of burr medic on my place plus sweet clover. (Cows don't touch the sweet clover) I talked to some people a TAMU and they all agreed planting something non native was usually no better than the native. They also said that keeping the P, K, and pH levels where they belong was much more important than variety.
All I know about little burr is what I have read. For all I know I may have some on my place. It is a native someone found and cultivated/propagated for commercial sales. From what I have read Armadillo is not a hybrid either but a cultivar selected for early maturity.
Same here....
b6e54b56.jpg

fe96d1f4.jpg

ec112ed2.jpg

Can get to be to much of a good thing...

Latest posts