Burning stumps

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+":17ygze8m said:
I did the grinder because the yanks won't let us burn anymore. It's about impossible to get a burn permit anymore so sometimes I just light it off and if anyone shows up I just tell them I guess I must have thrown a cigarette in there by accident.

Down here if the yanks smell smoke they call the fire department regardless of how far away it is or how wet it is.

i'm as shocked as everyone else that you have to have a permit. over here all you do is call in to the local pd or sheriff's office and tell them that you are burning and what your address is. then when ppl do call 9-1-1 or whatever, the right ppl already know you're burning.

never heard of or seen anyone burning stumps. we used a chemical we got from our local extension office that you paint on top of the stumps as soon as they are cut and it kills their roots. you have to dig them out with a backhoe or some sort of equipment later, but there isn't any chance of them coming back that way.

cowgirl580":1ytp3ftg said:
i'm as shocked as everyone else that you have to have a permit. over here all you do is call in to the local pd or sheriff's office and tell them that you are burning and what your address is. then when ppl do call 9-1-1 or whatever, the right ppl already know you're burning.

We used to be able to do that until the Yanks moved down. Now when they smell smoke they think Chicago is burning again and get scared.

cowgirl580":1ytp3ftg said:
never heard of or seen anyone burning stumps. we used a chemical we got from our local extension office that you paint on top of the stumps as soon as they are cut and it kills their roots. you have to dig them out with a backhoe or some sort of equipment later, but there isn't any chance of them coming back that way.

Most of our tree's are dead when we cut them. No need to kill the roots as they die anyway. We do have some imports from countries down south that can be hard to kill.

Seems like folks around here start, in early spring, piling up all the limbs and such that didn't quite make it through the winter.. Then, they burn it off.. Burn piles all over out in the sticks, 24/7 for about a month..

Since I've basically spent my first year on the farm learning the general practices and buying equipment, I didn't really have the proper equipment or good sense to do that this past spring... :roll: THIS spring, I'll have two years worth of 'winter kill' to contend with. Should be fun... :( :lol:

Incompletly burned stumps can last a lifetime, but can kill the resprouting spp. Drives me nuts (hate hitting them with the brush hog). I'm told around here you can pour feed or corn in the drill holes and the hogs will eventually root /"chew" them out thereby, ripping apart the stumps. I expect I might try that here, as the "blankety-blank" wild hogs are ripping up my sod currently and I am getting pretty tired of it.

Latest posts