burning piles

Help Support CattleToday:

NorCalFarms":2az4jh03 said:
If I ever run out of old tires that I'm trying to get cleaned up, I will keep that in mind. Until then, Firestone is the fire starter.

The fine in our state is $2000 per tire. EPD will count the steel belts and go from there. Burning tires is a thing of the past where I'm concerned. Though they do work great.

I use an old water type pressurized fire extinguisher.
Fill it with diesel, air it up, light apiece of paper and put it next to the brush pile, stand back and spray the diesel on it.
If the brush doesn't start burning well give it another squirt untill it does.
Works great for me.

Jogeephus":3t0kpbxl said:
NorCalFarms":3t0kpbxl said:
If I ever run out of old tires that I'm trying to get cleaned up, I will keep that in mind. Until then, Firestone is the fire starter.

The fine in our state is $2000 per tire. EPD will count the steel belts and go from there. Burning tires is a thing of the past where I'm concerned. Though they do work great.

Light it at night when they can't see the smoke.

Burning at night is a whole lot funner too!!! I can be qualified as a pyro though. We use a pump up sprayer with diesel. I learned that gas and matches don't mix too. I guess everyone has to learn that one at one time or another.

warpaint":2534xzcc said:
Here's a tip for ya,

Never pur gas on a pile and light it with a bic lighter!! :oops:

Warpaint,

You and Wiley Coyote have a lot in common. Super Genius :lol:

Jack

In our neck of the woods, it's either find a use for your old tires, or pay $5 for each of them to sit at the landfill for 10 years, waiting to be picked up. Sometimes, there gets to be so many that they just bury them.

So starting a pile with a couple old rotten tires is probably the best use I can think for them. Burn on a cold winter night to avoid any major unwanted attention, and just grab a lawn chair and sit back and enjoy the unusual warmth on a winter night. Maybe even roast a few marshmallows.

Years ago I worked for a contractor who bought a pile burner consisting of a 25hp engine with a small airplane prop a 55 gal drum and pump to spray a stream of diesel. This thing would get a pile of fresh cleared green wood burning. His son is still in business and still has the machine but never uses it. He now uses a small amount of diesel and a small hand held leaf blower. Get one good hot spot going and a pile will burn. Of course he also has an excavator on hand to move things around as needed.

About the best thing we have found on our farm for lighting brush and ditch fires is a little hand held propane torch. A feed sack some diesel and propane torch heats up pretty quickly.

When that fails (Due to rain and other badweather conditions) Make yourself some homade napalm. Dissolve Styrofoam cups into Gas until is thick. Add some motor oil if you want it like a jelly. Use extreme care when using this stuff. It burns hot!!

I use a cheap 1 or 2 gal plastic pump up sprayer with diesel fuel,you can get green brush hot enough to burn with it,also carry another pump up sprayer when Im burning brush or welding fence corners filled with water,you would be surprised how handy they are at controlling a fire,BEFORE it gets out of control................good luck

We dont exactly tend to do things the smart way around here. Its all gas around here. Between me and my brother, weve had a few close calls. Mine close call was not my fault though. I was at a buddys house and they ran out of lighter fluid to start the grill, and the dummy gets the idea to use gas. As soon as he started pouring it (right out of the container), the flames sucked up into the can and he threw it, almost hitting me. My brothers incident didnt involve gas. We just got a new burn barrel for trash and when he lit it, he didnt think to stay back because they kept petroleum in the barrel. Next thing we know a big fireball shoots up and trash flies everywhere, and my brother nearly lost his eyebrows. Never seen him jump that high.

Its also fun sitting around the fire with a few people and throwing some firecrackers in when nobody notices, then scare them. Only downside is it throws hot ashes all over.

Used to make a living out of burning slash piles. For hard to start piles such as old "bone" piles (slash piles with the fine fuels either burned out or fallen and rotten), or very wet or snow covered piles, I mixed aluma-gel and gasoline (makes a jelly or gelatenous like napalm), poured into sandwich baggies whereby you can light the baggie and toss into the pile (doesn't explode like raw gas). Burns slowly, drips, & drools, starting a hot convective heat collumn in the pile that will get the pile going. We used to load all the baggies in our tree planting bags and carry up the mountain going from pile to pile. This is primarily for production burning and very old or wet/snow covered piles. Otherwise a drip torch works fine and often, we used our tree marking paint guns loaded with a bit of diesel or used motor oil to fire up old piles (kinda has a blow torch effect). Note: Incidentally, here in Texas now I keep my old tree marking paint gun handy on the tractor loaded with a bit of gas, diesel, or used motor oil primarily to neutralize wasp nests around the out buildings. Hope this helps. 4T

Herefordcross":2fcr080y said:
FLARES!! Work the best in dry brush piles fair in green ones the ones stamped FUSE EE work the best, they have something in them that drips white hot!

They contain Phosphorus

The city of Helotes (west side of San Antonio) can tell you all about burning piles.They have a pile of mulch burning right outside the city limits that authorities say could burn for a year. Nobody knows how it started but they're screaming health hazard and wanting it put out. Dern thing looks as big as the Superdome on tv.Z

4T":37ijo2eq said:
Used to make a living out of burning slash piles. For hard to start piles such as old "bone" piles (slash piles with the fine fuels either burned out or fallen and rotten), or very wet or snow covered piles, I mixed aluma-gel and gasoline (makes a jelly or gelatenous like napalm), poured into sandwich baggies whereby you can light the baggie and toss into the pile (doesn't explode like raw gas). Burns slowly, drips, & drools, starting a hot convective heat collumn in the pile that will get the pile going. We used to load all the baggies in our tree planting bags and carry up the mountain going from pile to pile. This is primarily for production burning and very old or wet/snow covered piles. Otherwise a drip torch works fine and often, we used our tree marking paint guns loaded with a bit of diesel or used motor oil to fire up old piles (kinda has a blow torch effect). Note: Incidentally, here in Texas now I keep my old tree marking paint gun handy on the tractor loaded with a bit of gas, diesel, or used motor oil primarily to neutralize wasp nests around the out buildings. Hope this helps. 4T

how in the crap do you load gas, diesel, motoroil, etc. in a paintball gun.???

allenfarms":1hfx9eht said:
4T":1hfx9eht said:

how in the crap do you load gas, diesel, motoroil, etc. in a paintball gun.???

What?

Angus/Brangus":27zvfmx1 said:
Diesel with a tad bit of gasoline works well! Also, bale wrap netting and feed bags work good. All gas is bad news. I've seen the flames follow the vapors all the way back to the gas can. Not good!!

I use a half and half mixture of used motor oil and diesel. Works for me.

Latest posts