Burning stumps

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama

Reaction score
Burning stumps can be a nightmare. A trick that has helped me in the past is to drill a few holes as deep and large as possible. Pour them full of old motoroil. Let it soak for a couple of days then pile on a sackfull of matchlight charcoal and light. You will be surprized at the results. on smaller stumps cut the ends out of a 55 gallon drum and place over stump. Cut a couple of draw holes for air and pile in some wood and light. Both of these may have to be repeated if the stump is very green.

I also take a chain saw and cut slices in the top. It seems to burn down quicker that way and stay buring longer. The last time I just rented a stump grinder. I got the big one and it would cut about 6 inches below ground.

Bama":27ajshnf said:
Burning stumps can be a nightmare. A trick that has helped me in the past is to drill a few holes as deep and large as possible. Pour them full of old motoroil. Let it soak for a couple of days then pile on a sackfull of matchlight charcoal and light. You will be surprized at the results. on smaller stumps cut the ends out of a 55 gallon drum and place over stump. Cut a couple of draw holes for air and pile in some wood and light. Both of these may have to be repeated if the stump is very green.

The 55 gallon drum works great like you said but burns out after a couple of stumps. I made one out of a old butane tank good thick metal. It is also big enough to place plenty of firewood in with the stump. Only draw back for the little guys is you have to have a frontend loader to pick it up.

Weird timing; I took off the rest of this week so I could finish cleaning up the mess left by Katrina and Rita. My buddy with a dozer made about 10 huge piles for me. I was just in the shop looking for my hand held brace to drill holes in the trunks. Todays burning day. Ashamed diesel's so expensive.

Caustic, you finished cleaning up?

I did the grinder because the yanks won't let us burn anymore. It's about impossible to get a burn permit anymore so sometimes I just light it off and if anyone shows up I just tell them I guess I must have thrown a cigarette in there by accident.

Down here if the yanks smell smoke they call the fire department regardless of how far away it is or how wet it is.

flaboy+":8qye3k71 said:
I did the grinder because the yanks won't let us burn anymore. It's about impossible to get a burn permit anymore so sometimes I just light it off and if anyone shows up I just tell them I guess I must have thrown a cigarette in there by accident.

Down here if the yanks smell smoke they call the fire department regardless of how far away it is or how wet it is.

What's this "burn permit" device you're talking about?

dun

dun":1b0oodml said:

dun

Well if you are being funny, it's a well positioned cigarette in a pile of trash. If you are serious it's calling the forestry department to get the ok and they give you a permit #. Then you have to contact your local fire department or nearest one and they can over rule the state obtained permit. They usually do even though I am wearing rubber boots in the fields still to keep my feet dry.

flaboy+":3mlwxocz said:
dun":3mlwxocz said:

dun

Well if you are being funny, it's a well positioned cigarette in a pile of trash. If you are serious it's calling the forestry department to get the ok and they give you a permit #. Then you have to contact your local fire department or nearest one and they can over rule the state obtained permit. They usually do even though I am wearing rubber boots in the fields still to keep my feet dry.

I'll stick with the MO method. You light it and let it burn. If it's real smokey for too long the fire cheif swings by to shoot the bull

dun

dun":b2dwq86l said:
I'll stick with the MO method. You light it and let it burn. If it's real smokey for too long the fire cheif swings by to shoot the bull

dun

One of my favorites is to make a pile out near the north fence. There is a dirt road running just outside that fence. A little diesel and match and I'm off to back pasture. When the fire department shows up I say "you know I thought I saw some kids up there messing around". I always try to switch up. Used the old wet bale of hay cooking one time too. :lol:

flaboy+":1rwkjtf1 said:

That's one of those freedoms that I was talking about disappearing in another topic.

Chris

ffscj":26sk4m1e said:
flaboy+":26sk4m1e said:

That's one of those freedoms that I was talking about disappearing in another topic.

Chris

Maybe it'll be better in OK. Chris.

Down here you can really burn whatever, whenever you like. About the only thing I've heard against burning is some of the ol'timers who live way out burn their trash. They don't really like ya burning trash on a daily basis (ashamed too because those aresol cans make a nice pop), but no one even looks twice if you need to burn trees, etc. All of the sugarcane farmers and wheat farmers burn their field every year.

cypressfarms":1esr14bg said:
Weird timing; I took off the rest of this week so I could finish cleaning up the mess left by Katrina and Rita. My buddy with a dozer made about 10 huge piles for me. I was just in the shop looking for my hand held brace to drill holes in the trunks. Todays burning day. Ashamed diesel's so expensive.

Hell NO I have piles when I lite them off you will think the sun is coming up in the west. I am scared to light them off so dry here burn up what dirt I have left for the cows to eat.

Caustic Burno":28aobn8b said:
cypressfarms":28aobn8b said:

Hell NO I have piles when I lite them off you will think the sun is coming up in the west. I am scared to light them off so dry here burn up what dirt I have left for the cows to eat.

I guess that front that came through last week didn't help you out.

cypressfarms":2c132xnh said:
Caustic Burno":2c132xnh said:
cypressfarms":2c132xnh said:

I guess that front that came through last week didn't help you out.

Rained 6 inches here drop about ever 6 inches.

Hey caustic,

Did you see the bright light to the east of you?

I lit all of the piles this afternoon. I started in the front and worked my way to the back of the place. By the time I lit the last pile, and drove the mule (kawasaki) back to the front, I accidentally had some prescribed burn going on. Got to the shop and filled the 40 gallon spray tank with water and 2 hours later said front pasture had about 3 acres of nice black ground.
The wind had picked up in the time it took me to get the fires going. At least it didn't go over to the neighbours pasture.

New way to control smut grass - burn your whole field.

Whoops.

Left florida 10 years ago had got so bad needed a permit to set down and eat supper. Aw shucks got that wrong (had to have a permit to set down to eat Dinner). :lol: :lol: :lol: Snow Birds call it dinner.

After hearing about all the guys from Florida leaving, I may just have to pack up and go buy some land next to Crowder and open my B&B there. I'm sure he would glad to have the company since he seems to be surrounded only by hippo's.

flaboy+":3fj3uxeu said:
After hearing about all the guys from Florida leaving, I may just have to pack up and go buy some land next to Crowder and open my B&B there. I'm sure he would glad to have the company since he seems to be surrounded only by hippo's.

Flaboy+, you ever watch those nature shows? Hippos can be mean as hell.

flaboy+":1cz1p43e said:
Very Few Hippos, but a large herd of Cape Buffalos. They are a lot more dangerous than Hippos. Flaboy, come on up. You'd never go back. Most of the "Exotics" here are fairly safe, because of the heavy incident of Tooth loss. :shock:

Crowderfarms":3gbijtar said:
flaboy+":3gbijtar said:
Very Few Hippos, but a large herd of Cape Buffalos. They are a lot more dangerous than Hippos. Flaboy, come on up. You'd never go back. Most of the "Exotics" here are fairly safe, because of the heavy incident of Tooth loss. :shock:

My dad always told me to cull those smooth mouth ones. :lol:

Latest posts