burning piles

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus/Brangus said:
How do you get the motor oil and diesel to light? I have a lot of newly cut trees I would like to burn. Straight gas burns up too fast and straight diesel can sometimes be slow to start. Maybe a mix of used motor oil, diesel and a tad bit of gas?[/quot
Soak an area that has some small limbs and such on the windy side. Stick a paper towel in the area and light it. It will burn hot and get the brush going.

Angus/Brangus":1x5t3vfy said:
How do you get the motor oil and diesel to light? I have a lot of newly cut trees I would like to burn. Straight gas burns up too fast and straight diesel can sometimes be slow to start. Maybe a mix of used motor oil, diesel and a tad bit of gas?

1 gallon of gas to 3 of diesel is a safe mix. Thats what I mix for the drip torch.

allenfarms":29o1c99g said:
4T":29o1c99g said:
Used to make a living out of burning slash piles. For hard to start piles such as old "bone" piles (slash piles with the fine fuels either burned out or fallen and rotten), or very wet or snow covered piles, I mixed aluma-gel and gasoline (makes a jelly or gelatenous like napalm), poured into sandwich baggies whereby you can light the baggie and toss into the pile (doesn't explode like raw gas). Burns slowly, drips, & drools, starting a hot convective heat collumn in the pile that will get the pile going. We used to load all the baggies in our tree planting bags and carry up the mountain going from pile to pile. This is primarily for production burning and very old or wet/snow covered piles. Otherwise a drip torch works fine and often, we used our tree marking paint guns loaded with a bit of diesel or used motor oil to fire up old piles (kinda has a blow torch effect). Note: Incidentally, here in Texas now I keep my old tree marking paint gun handy on the tractor loaded with a bit of gas, diesel, or used motor oil primarily to neutralize wasp nests around the out buildings. Hope this helps. 4T

how in the crap do you load gas, diesel, motoroil, etc. in a paintball gun.???

Sorry, not a paintball gun,,a tree paint gun, (ie.,,Nelspot, etc..) as used in Forestry

Good topic. I've been wanting to burn piles of bull dozed mesquite, but I've been really afraid of the fire getting out of hand. Assuming I can get it lit, what do you do to be sure that the fire doesn't get out of hand? I know i've heard that you should burn on a day after a rain, but is that fool proof? There is one neighbor's house that is fairly close and it worries me!

pbnewbie":5y54y7jo said:
Good topic. I've been wanting to burn piles of bull dozed mesquite, but I've been really afraid of the fire getting out of hand. Assuming I can get it lit, what do you do to be sure that the fire doesn't get out of hand? I know i've heard that you should burn on a day after a rain, but is that fool proof? There is one neighbor's house that is fairly close and it worries me!

To help keep it from getting out of control we primarily burn in the spring, we either try to pile the brush and stuff in areas that don't have a lot of grass or dump it in a hole that it can't get out of, we never burn on a day that has more than a light breeze, we always have a shovel and pitchfork, and the fire is not left unattended. You probably also want to check with your county to see if they have any restrictions/requirements. We are in drought - so past the 1st of June or there is a burn ban here. One can only burn between 6 pm and 6 am, and then it has to be in an approved container.

I think I'm going to get brave. My son is here this summer, so surely the two of us could handle it.

Latest posts