Bumming calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have two bull calves, two months old that is taking advantage of two of my younger cows, one a first time heifer and the other a second year heifer...the older cows do not let them sneak a snack...I have separated them but would like to know if anyone has any suggestions...this is the first time I have had this happen. Also I just had my teenage heifer calve..we did have to pull the calf but both made it through fine but I am looking for suggestions whether to go ahead and put her with the bull at 45 days or hold off an extra month...this was not a planned pregnancy and feel bad it happened...she is Tarantaise/South Devon so she is fairly large but at the same time didn't mature fully...thanks....

[email protected]

> I have two bull calves, two months
> old that is taking advantage of
> two of my younger cows, one a
> first time heifer and the other a
> second year heifer...the older
> cows do not let them sneak a
> snack...I have separated them but
> would like to know if anyone has
> any suggestions...this is the
> first time I have had this happen.
> Also I just had my teenage heifer
> calve..we did have to pull the
> calf but both made it through fine
> but I am looking for suggestions
> whether to go ahead and put her
> with the bull at 45 days or hold
> off an extra month...this was not
> a planned pregnancy and feel bad
> it happened...she is
> Tarantaise/South Devon so she is
> fairly large but at the same time
> didn't mature fully...thanks.... If the calf bumming really bothers you then if you have seperate pastures available then seperate them. I never get too concerned about it unless the calf on the cow being robbed off starts going downhill from lack of enough milk. The calves robbing mother's usually aren't giving enough milk or if they're quite a bit older than some of the younger calves they'll do this. If your cow with the twins holds up breed her back ASAP. If she gets real thin then should hold off. I would strongly urge selling 1 of the calves off as a bucket calf so this young cow doesn't go down hill on you. Then you'll have a hard time getting her to rebreed. Good-luck.

[email protected]

Thanks for the info...the teen heifer mama only has one calf on her...i would probably keep her separated...and that makes sense about the two calves sneaking snacks...my cows are in very good shape and the calves are good size so the fact that the two bumming ones are older makes sense...i do have extra pastures due to rotational grazing that i do so will try that for a little bit...that's what i had heard also about breeding the teenager back right away...i usually wait till second cycle any way on all of them so that should give her time to recuperate from the pulling...thanks...sharon

[email protected]

Latest posts