Help Support CattleToday:

TJ

Reaction score
what does it cost to rent a angus bull for the summer, currently
have 9 cows, will yearling work on 1300 lb. cows

TJ":2582en0y said:
what does it cost to rent a angus bull for the summer, currently
have 9 cows, will yearling work on 1300 lb. cows

A yearling bull (most any breed) is ready for service at 14-15 months (assuming he has been semen tested as good+). Figure about 1 female per month of age of bull. Usually would keep a bull (rental) for 2 heat cycles of females. Six to 8 weeks should take care of them.

I've rented a bull for $150/year. But that was from a family friend, so I don't know what it would cost for someone else. It seems kind of high if you were to rent a bull for 2 months at $250 per month = $500 for 9 cows. That would come to $55.56 per calf if they all took and were live at sale time. That could eat up aproximately 1/2 of your profits if you figure on average $100+\- profit per calf per year depending on your operation and market.

Last yr I pd $200 for a 5 yr old blk angus bull for about 3 mos. It was from a local guy, so we just walked him down the road the 1/2 mile or so to my place. When we got finished with him, we just walked him back down the road to his home. That was for 4 cows last yr. This yr, with 9 cows, I decided to go ahead and buy a registered black angus bull. Thoughts are, I could use him for about 3 yrs, and get some of my money back when I go to sell him. That, and the guy is still using him for his cows, and mine are ready to breed now!

I'd say standard is about $25 per head plus feed. Right now, up here you can buy a pretty good older bull for about $500 so most guys are just buying and sending them back to the auction yard when they are done.

it seems to me that if you rent a bull . youd want to rent him 120days. to make sure your cows got bred . would hate having 1 come up open. scott

Looking around, outfits that do this as a business charge much more. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500. Seems very high to me..

HDRider":1j8h5527 said:
Looking around, outfits that do this as a business charge much more. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,500. Seems very high to me..

This thread is 10 years old :shock: check the price of bulls and calves when this was posted.

mwj":39qnwkiu said:
HDRider":39qnwkiu said:

This thread is 10 years old :shock: check the price of bulls and calves when this was posted.
I just checked them online today.

HD, not sure where you found those figures, but I do know that $1500 a month is pretty much the starting rate for outfits like Lautner and Trausch that lease out those promotional bulls that they're selling semen on. These would be club calf bulls - some might be registered, but their goal is to raise show calves, which routinely bring well over market price - often up into the five figure range. It's not a bad price in that situation. The common rationale there is worst case scenario, if you can sell three calves for $500 apiece over market, the lease paid for itself. Plus you have calves to sell out of the bulls that many people saw on display at Denver (and/or several other shows), and basically everyone in the club calf industry has seen a bunch of big glossy print ads on - you're getting lots of dollars worth of promotion already built in to your calf crop.

I'm sure there are other premium markets where a $1500 a month lease could make sense too.

Latest posts