bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sjackson

Reaction score
I have recently gotten into the cattle business. I have a 20 month old black angus bull that I have had since he was born. He has always been very gentle. He has always let me pet him, but lately he has become very aggressive. He will not let me get around him. Every day he seems to get worse. Is there anything I can do about this?

First rule to follow is don't make Pets out of them. They can hurt you if they want to. We have bulls that are gentle, but I don't make a habit out of petting on them. I'd rather have a bull that keeps his distance from me, but one that's not totally uncontrollable. Put him out with some Cows if you have any.

I don't want to make a pet out of him. I just want to be able to get in the same pasture as him.

There is a cow with him now. He was with 5 other cows. I seperated them so she could gain some more weight and he could breed her. I know they are not soppose to start breeding until they are 24 months old but that is another story.

You can breed a heifer before 2 years old. Its usually good to have her calving at age 2. As far as the bull Im with farmer Rich "Eat Him". I AI myself its cheaper and you pick the traits you want, and you dont deal with BULLS.

sjackson wrote:

I don't want to make a pet out of him. I just want to be able to get in the same pasture as him.

This statement says it all.

For your info, less than 5% of those who experience a no schitzen attack by a bull live to tell about it. This from an old Cattleman's mag I picked up.

So - you have received some good info from others - but I will add to it.

Go get your rifle and your truck and a few helpers.

Shoot that S.O.B. in the pasture - I would do it now - not tomorrow and not the day after.

Butcher him on the spot. Share the meat with your buddies and get a new bull.

Having had the opportunity to go to two funerals in my life time caused by large animals I want you to know that not only are you taking a chance with this guy, but you are breeding his temperment into his offspring.

You will probably not take this advice, but I give it because I DO KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Finally, you can ship this bull. Don't you dare do this unless he carries a frigging big red X on his sides. Do not provide some other poor unsuspecting person with you problems and no notification.

Rounding this guy up might be a bit of fun - therefore my shoot and eat suggetion.

So in the end, do nothing and walk the pasture with your family in fear - or solve the problem. Choice is yours.

Bez

I ment to state that the bull is not 2 years old yet. I plan on selling him this October when he is 2. I had planed on AI ing my cows before he breed them. I just thought it would be easier selling a more gentle bull.

I keep a bull to service my herd but he ain't no pet. 6 yo. Limousin that's about ready to be sold off as I'm gonna be keeping back some heifers this year. Had him since he was about 2.5 yo's old. I try and think we have a mutual respect for each other. I know he could kill me in a moment if he wanted but he's shy of me which I like. I'd never have a bull around that I could not go out into a pasture with.

If your only concern is your bull is no longer something you can consider a pet that's ok and IMHO somthing you want especially if he stays clear of you as long as he will come around when you need to work cattle. If your concern is that you feel he is becomming really agressive to you and that you don't trust him (you really should not trust any bull) and you are afraid of him attacking you then he needs to be gotten rid of.

Bulls need to be respected but not feared to such a degree you can't get out in your pasture cause you think you'll be attacked. I've had cows that were more aggressive to me after calving than my bull has ever been. I don't know how long you have been around bulls and cows so from just reading your post it's tough to tell if he's being a normal bull or something you need to rid your place of.

I know I've rambled a bit here so in short I'll say if your afraid of your bull get rid of him and go the AI route or locate someone around you with a bull that can come in to service your cows when you decide on a time. No sense in having something around your afraid of. You might just need some time getting used to being around cattle if they are something your not allready used to.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

J

Just for the record, most bulls can breed a few head as yearlings, IMO. Furthermore, they can hurt you without meaning to, let alone when they want to.

I missed the "go out and shoot him today" post before I typed my suggestion (kinda slow on the keyboard here). Don't sound like the bull is totally crazy right now so if your gonna rid your place of him I'd either take him to the sale barn or if you want to eat him as suggested at least either cut or band him provided you have good working facilities and then put him on either dry lot with some daily grain and hay or on some pasture you don't frequent for 30-90 days. He will taste a lot better from what I've heard anyway. I have not ever ate a bull but folks say they ain't as good as a steer!

J

This is my first bull and might not be as aggressive as y,all think. I used to be able to walk around him and even touch him. Last week he started shaking his head at me, now he shakes his head and bellows and paws the ground and acts like he is going to charge.

sjackson":3lvhast5 said:
This is my first bull and might not be as aggressive as y,all think. I used to be able to walk around him and even touch him. Last week he started shaking his head at me, now he shakes his head and bellows and paws the ground and acts like he is going to charge.

Sell him or eat him , he'll make good hamburger.......

sjackson":buu70cqe said:
I have an Angus Bull that acts the same way. I just give him his space and don't take my eyes off of him when I get around him. I am no expert but beleive most Bulls do not want to be messed with any how. I am sure I will be corrected but that is just my thinking.

sjackson":f531zg9u said:

It sounds like the bull is telling you loud and clear of what he's thinking about you. At his age he should taste pretty good. Have a mobile butcher unit come out, shoot him where he stands, butcher him on the spot and have them hang him for 14 days to help the tenderness.

You asked for advice and most posters are telling you what you need to do, this bull can kill you in a second, too many good bulls out there.

JMO
Alan

sjackson,

Listen to these guys and make some arrangements w/the Bull. I learned a long time ago your Bull doesn't need a bunch of petting. I'm not suggesting you have, but making a pet of a Bull is not to your best interest. JMO. You can't beat a Bull w/a good disposition. It's hard to handle one that is aggressive. Everyone who has responded that he can hurt or kill you, or someone else are on the money. He's young and maybe just feeling possessive of the cows. Whatever the reason for his behavior, if you are nervous around him he knows it. Handle getting shed of him in the method best for you. Get you another one. There are plenty of good Bulls to be had. On the next one you may try just letting him do what he is supposed to do for you and you doing for him what he needs of you. Odds are it will work out.

when we were growing up we were taught to never pet a bull on the head or neck area. might need to be taught some respect for you, when he does that hit him with a stone or something

If I was you I would get rid of that bull soon asap before you get yourself hurt or killed.If you can stay away from him do so if you know that your cows are breed ,do what ever it takes.Maybe you can rent a young bull that not a threat to you and your family.With a young bull you should be able to trust him ,he might not breed your cows fast as a big bull but might not get hurt or worst Thanks Dean

What it sounds to me like is that he is warning you to keep your distance.Even the gentlest of bulls can get aggressive during breeding season,because their hormones are raging.All I can say is, follow your instincts. I respect all bulls, even the gentle ones, but I would not have one on the place that I was afraid of. I figure that that is MY pasture,and he is just using it.It is much better to have a bull that is afraid of you than vice-versa. ;-) :cboy:

I don't pet or scratch any calf. If they stick their head in the feed bucket thet get it slaped. Form a early age they learn not to get to cozy with me. Now that one is 1500 pounds its to late to teach them this. I hope they have a good memory and think I'm still bigger than they are. Petting anything that can weigh 10 times as much as you is asking for trouble later on.

Latest posts