Bull with damaged testicles

Help Support CattleToday:

Boldcat

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been through this . About a month ago my 3 year old bull got pounded in the nuts by a yearling bull. I noticed one side of his scrotum was full of fluid (blood) . I took him to the vet right away and had him examined . The vet said it would take a few months for the blood to absorb and then we would have to test him . He said it would probably be a 50% chance he would be OK . He had only seen it once before and in that case the bull was shipped. I talked to a breeder a couple weeks ago that had it happen to him on a yearling bull and it turned out to be a good herd bull.
The swelling is going down now but he still can't pull his one testicle up when it's cold. He's been on antibiotics and has good shelter. If you've had this happen to one of your bulls , how did it turn out for you ?

Ouch!
A one nutted bull can still breed. Maybe just half as much. ;-)
I have seen a one nutted bull. Don't know how he got that way.

Never had it happen, but I know I probably wouldnt take the chance. 50% chance means a 50% chance my herd wouldnt get bred. If he does ride them, still a 50% chance they are not bred, which you won't know for 21 days at the very earliest. Then you have to try and find another bull late in breeding season, and your cows will breed back late the next year,..........etc. I know it sucks when stuff like this happens, but it seems whenever I take chances like that I just compound my problems. Good luck.

No, I'm not taking chances . I'm going to have him semen tested probably in january. That way I've still got time to pick up another bull . The guy I buy bulls from has me down for one bull already since I'm expanding my herd and he knows my situation in case I need 2. I just hate the extra expense right now.
If his sperm count is low he's gone.

Ah,...well you've got time then. Good luck I hope he tests well and still has the gumption to get the job done.

Never had that particular problem. But I think that I would wait it out and see what happens as well. If he turns out good, then you have only spent however much it costs to keep him that long. If he doesn't, well, prices are in the toilet right now up here anyways, by Jan/Feb they will be bouncing back, I hope. Yesterday bull prices wer .35 - .40.

We had a bull develop sheath infection this summer. Kept him around hoping he would get better, vet said that there was a pretty good chance he would be just fine. I think he is fine now, but we will certainly test him in the spring. Hard to sell a $3000 bull for $600 if there is a decent chance that he will heal up enough for breeding.

On a final note, make sure you bed this guy good if it gets cold. If he can't suck that testicle up, you would really hate to get him over this thing, only to have him freeze them.......

If one testicle is inactive or removed, usually the other will increase in capacity by about 50%. Best way to know is have him semen tested but I would say if he was a good breeder in the past you have a decent chance.

Edited once for misspelling.

redcowsrule33":1k62iacm said:
If one testicle is inactive or removed, usually the other will increase in capacity by about 50%. Best way to know is have him semen tested but I would say if he was a good breeder in the past you have a decent chance.

Edited once for misspelling.
My way of thinking on this is that he could cover 25% fewer cows rather than have 25% less chance of getting the cow bred. Not much different than a bull with testicles 25% smaller than the average?

I'm sure someone has it figured out statistically how many sperm need deposited. How is it decided how much sperm in a straw for AI? I assume that is much less than there would be in natural breeding. And the biggest cause of failure in AI is supposed to be timing, which a bull usually doesn't get wrong.

For example, if a million sperm are deposited and 100 reach the egg, is it much worse if 500,000 are deposited and only 50 reach the egg? Maybe that's enough.

My understanding is that the number deposited is less important than them being good strong swimmers. There is only half as much semen injected when using sexed semen yet the number of bred cows is not 50% less. Survival of the fittest or quality over quantity type stuff.

Like most other injuries it will likely heal fine in time, but for me it needs to be a very special bull for me to give him the chance.

I suppose the other question is how many cows you need him to cover. If sperm count is down, wouldn't be able to recharge as well between cows. Fewer cows, more time to recover.

Well , I had him tested today and he passed with flying colors .
Very good density, very good motility, and 95% normal sperm. This evaluation from a vet who has a reputation for being real tough on bull evaluations. WHEW ! what a relief !

Boldcat":2boaraeb said:
Well , I had him tested today and he passed with flying colors .
Very good density, very good motility, and 95% normal sperm. This evaluation from a vet who has a reputation for being real tough on bull evaluations. WHEW ! what a relief !

That's great news! I'll bet you were quite nervous with anticipation as to how he'd test out. I'm happy for you.

Katherine

I'm glad for you. Always sad to use the service of a promising young bull prematurely.

Some time I feel like a damaged bull. This old pappa is no match for an energetic four year old.
~Tom.

Latest posts