bull with bad attitude

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I been meaning to post this.My bull who I call a breeding machine has a major attitude. He respects humans no problem there easy to load etc. The problem is he doesn't seem to like calves and will chase them bull or heifer all around the pasture sometimes. He also butts them pretty violently with no warning. He tossed a 2 month old heifer pretty good I thought he had hurt her real bad. No bull I have ever owned before has done that. He is only 2.5 years old and I think once all cows are confirmed bred I will sell him.

It seems that most bulls start to get too full of themselves when they are approaching 3 years old. And just to make things interesting, some get more mellow and layed back at that age. Goes shows to go you that there are no sure things when it comes to cattle. We had one cow that at 3 became vicious to any calves in the pasture except her own. She hept things pretty stirred up for a couple of weeks till she found herslef and her calf on a trailer. In her case it was her failure to try to move up in the pecking order I think that cause it. Before she calved she had started fighting most of the lower echelon cows but got beat every time. I guess she figured calves were fair game after that.

I agree with the trailer dun. do you think I should see if he grows out of it ? I have him with cows with no calves currently.

After he's done breeding I would ship him. But I have very little tolerence for bulls anyway. We krpt on bull after he turned 3 and couldn;t wait to get him on the trailer.

Sky, there are too many bulls available to risk this one costing you $ due to a hurt or dead calf. Let him finish breeding the cows with no calves, where he is now, and put him on the trailer. Take the money and buy another. :2cents:

thanks yall that's what I figured I was really pizzed when I saw it and wanted to ship then but figured its best not to do it in haste.

Alan":3n6balrf said:
Sky, there are too many bulls available to risk this one costing you $ due to a hurt or dead calf. Let him finish breeding the cows with no calves, where he is now, and put him on the trailer. Take the money and buy another. :2cents:
X2

Alan":2wp009kj said:

I agree

I have a bull calf with a broken hind leg gimping around my yard due to a similar issue, the old bull went to market the next week, got no tolerance for attitude problems. threw a young yearling I was holding over to clean up what was left.

Over the years most of my bulls have always got along good with calves. Even to the point of being baby sitter when there was no breeding to do. Only time I ever seen a bull even nudge a calf out of the way is if they were pestering him, or taking what he thought should be his place at the feeder.

Supa Dexta":3k24dkoe said:
Over the years most of my bulls have always got along good with calves. Even to the point of being baby sitter when there was no breeding to do. Only time I ever seen a bull even nudge a calf out of the way is if they were pestering him, or taking what he thought should be his place at the feeder.
That's how our bulls act too. Cracks me up seeing a 2000 plus lb bull surrounded by tiny little recently born calves.

dun":mraaj5qf said:
After he's done breeding I would ship him. But I have very little tolerence for bulls anyway. We krpt on bull after he turned 3 and couldn't;t wait to get him on the trailer.

:lol: :clap:
We are birds of a feather on that one, Dun.

We've had a bull that didn't like some particular cows, and would pester them to no end..
Recent bulls we've had have all been really good with the calves.. Of course he gets pizzy if the 4 month old bull calf thinks he should be doing some breeding, but nothing vicious.. usually a good snort is all it takes to chase them off..
And yes, the last couple bulls we've have often were the babysitters. I don't have any tolerance for bad attitudes, especially from a bull.. I'm just lucky I haven't had to enforce it.

When we chose the last bull, there were 3 candidates in the pen that I had shortlisted.. 1 of them snorted when we came, I can't remember what the second one did, but the 3rd came and sniffed us and was a calm guy.. he's the one that we loaded up, and he's been really good.. comes for a chin scratch, doesn't pester you or cows.. That's what I like.

Our bulls get pushy if the herd migrates next to our neighbors & their bull is near. It's actually interesting to watch & they work in tandem: Chester paces the fence, pitching a fit, and Dick herds our cows & calves away, at times with a firm nudge but nothing that has ever caused concern. Docility rating +14 & +10 respectively - and yes, awesome babysitters. Just got rid of a bull that charged my husband & ended up getting a hefty blast of Fly Ban right in the eyes; DOC +2. Buh-bye!

I would ship a bull like that. A bull who charged me would have better luck hanging around than a bull who hurt calves. My young bull seems to like calves see him licking them bulls and heifers all the time.

wacocowboy":3bj66s5o said:
I would ship a bull like that. A bull who charged me would have better luck hanging around than a bull who hurt calves. My young bull seems to like calves see him licking them bulls and heifers all the time.

He is definately going I have a replacement heifer in which will try to AI her or let him breed her not sure yet but will keep till shes confirmed bred she will be 15 months in december so probably keep him till spring.

Latest posts