Bull to critic

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Below is an angus plus bull that I would like people opinions on. He is 16 months old now, don't know his current weight. His epd's are usable as a "heifer" bull, but has a good ww and yw epd as well. So critic away!

Side view:
side.jpg

back view:
butt.jpg

front view:
neck.jpg

For 16 months old he is in good shape and condition. He is a little short-bodied, long and level from hooks to pin bones, but sloping off from tail head. Good, straight legs, and adequate bone. My main fault with him is his heart girth. He is 'pinched all around just behind his shoulders, and that makes him appear as open shouldered, which portends difficult births of his calves. Reasonably level back, but that is masked somewhat by the fact that he has his head down. What is his BW and milk EPD?

DOC HARRIS

I don't like him - he has little to no rear end, he lacking in girth, and he's wide at the shoulders and narrow at the butt. I also don't like his top line.

Just curious,have you had this bull penned and been feeding him or pasture raised ? he may be a little narrow in the rear................good luck

HAY MAKER":54y771to said:
Just curious,have you had this bull penned and been feeding him or pasture raised ? he may be a little narrow in the rear................good luck

Pasture raised, but did supplement with about 10 to 12 lbs of 14% "stocker grower" from about 7 month's old to 13 month's old.

I have to pull up the exact epd's, but his bw was almost 0, and his milk was in the teens.

Too narrow for our business. Looks like he'd have an EMA of about 90sq cm.Which is not much good. Our South Devon bulls of the same age all are about 120+ sq cm. Someone suggested that he had been fed up I doubt that you'd get much weight on him irrespective of how much he was fed. I have no doubt that he would be OK on heifers.I wouldn't keep his progeny though.
Colin

cypressfarms":3iyx48e6 said:
HAY MAKER":3iyx48e6 said:

Pasture raised, but did supplement with about 10 to 12 lbs of 14% "stocker grower" from about 7 month's old to 13 month's old.

I have to pull up the exact epd's, but his bw was almost 0, and his milk was in the teens.

That aint all bad,I would use him on heifers.............good luck

Australian Cattleman":qipubnh6 said:
Too narrow for our business. Looks like he'd have an EMA of about 90sq cm.Which is not much good. Our South Devon bulls of the same age all are about 120+ sq cm. Someone suggested that he had been fed up I doubt that you'd get much weight on him irrespective of how much he was fed. I have no doubt that he would be OK on heifers.I wouldn't keep his progeny though.
Colin

I know this is probably something I should already know,......but what is an EMA??? (other than 'Emergency Management Agency' of course). Pelvic area is measured a lot here in the states, though I wouldn't put a lot of faith in an estimate of it from a picture though.

He is young and shows some muscle expression, I'd say at this time next year, he will have a butt on him. Not fat at all, looks ready to go, I'd say he will do you some good. :D

Sorry, I should have guessed that. We use REA (RibEye Area) for that. It is measured at the 12th rib and then usually recorded in inches thus I was at a loss to come up with what 90-120 cm2 could possibly refer too.

Australian Cattleman":1887d7o6 said:
Eye muscle area is what EMA stands for. It is used a fair bit here in Australia,used a lot at shows etc.
I am surprised that someone here in the "COLONYS" haven't come up with - "PMS" - (Pelvic Muscle Size)!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts