Bull Tested Bad

Help Support CattleToday:

Leapyear

Reaction score
I have a Bull that did not work it tested bad. How do most breeders handle that.
I bought him from a very well known breeder. Do they back them or am I just out that bull other than the bologna price I will get for him.
First time I ever had a bad bull in over 50 years so I am not sure how to handle this. I just want to be fair with both of us.

If you just purchased him from "a reputable breeder," he should back his bull. But most people that sell bulls, test them before they leave.
My question to you would be, how old is the bull? And what were the results of his semen test? There are different reasons for him not passing. So that is important to know. It could be age or lack of use, for a better word. He could pass later on. So we need more info..

Edit: After re reading your question, are you saying that you did not get any semen from him to test?

I bought a bull this winter. It was from a producer with whom I have a long relationship. It was a yearling bull and I wanted him on the farm so he came before the BSE. It was agreed that if he failed the BSE, he would come and get the bull and I would make another selection from the same age group of bulls. The new selection would then be delivered to the farm. The BSE evaluation was performed on 4/24/14. He passed.

I would think that any seed stock producer would have a similar policy. It is non-sense not to replace a bull that cannot breed.

Hope you come back and respond to branguscowgirl. Your message says he "tested bad" so I take that to mean a Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation was performed and the bull failed in meeting the criteria.

You are correct it was the Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation he did not pass and he is also a yearling bull.

Leapyear":10susi3c said:
You are correct it was the Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation he did not pass and he is also a yearling bull.

Why are you the one doing the BSE. He should have had that before he was sold.

Now, if you bought him as a weaned calf then I would say the BSE and the lack of fertility is probably on you.

You also do not mention he actual age. I have seen bulls that flunk at 11 months and a month later they pass just fine, I had one like that two years ago that went on to breed close to 30 cows that year.

Leapyear":3it5akak said:

"Yearling bull" still covers a fair range of age. I personally wouldn't expect him to be good, or get him tested, until he's at least 15 months old. And that can vary between breeds. If he tests bad at that age, I would probably wait a few weeks and get him tested again. If he's still bad, then I'd contact the guy I bought him from and explain the situation. If he's reputable, as I believe you said he is, he should be willing to replace the bull or refund your money.

As far as the more general question about breeders guaranteeing bulls, it's fairly common, at least in this part of the country, for a breeder to guarantee his bull's soundness for one year from purchase. I've heard of someone buying a bull, using him for three or four years, and then he tested bad and the guy wanted his money back. The breeder refused and I don't blame him.

If he's in good flesh and has had minerals, I think the breeder would exchange based on his reputation. If he doesn't look well fed there could be some grumbling, in which case he will still probably take him back and feed him, then sell him again when he does pass his BSE

It's pointless to prognosticate until we know more about the details of the transaction.

"Tested Bad" doesn;t tell us much. No sperm cells, not enough sperm cells, low motility, deformed, no ejacualtion, small scrotal. Any of those will fail them.

dun":12q9qt6p said:
"Tested Bad" doesn;t tell us much. No sperm cells, not enough sperm cells, low motility, deformed, no ejacualtion, small scrotal. Any of those will fail them.

I agree, My balancer bull passed one at 9 1/2 but the vet wouldn't write him up cause of his age which I didn't care, cause I just wanted to know if he could clean up 9 heifers I had A.I. ed. 3 missed the A.I. he bred them just fine at bout 10 1/2 months old. Hope it works out for you. B&G

At least call the breeder and let him know. That way if you re-test and he's still not up to par you don't get a run around that starts something like "why didn't you tell me the first time".

cow pollinater":1naauksn said:
At least call the breeder and let him know. That way if you re-test and he's still not up to par you don't get a run around that starts something like "why didn't you tell me the first time".

CP, I agree. That is exactly what I would be inclined to respond.

cow pollinater":359p3sxx said:

If he just bought him then the breeder should have tested the bull prior to leaving. If he bought him last fall as a weanling then he forfeits any and all right to complain that he didn't test since it was a take your chances for the money you saved type deal.

Someone buys a weanling from me they own him as is the day he leaves. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

3waycross":g4nbl08q said:
cow pollinater":g4nbl08q said:

If he just bought him then the breeder should have tested the bull prior to leaving. If he bought him last fall as a weanling then he forfeits any and all right to complain that he didn't test since it was a take your chances for the money you saved type deal.

Someone buys a weanling from me they own him as is the day he leaves. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

+1 to all of the above

Latest posts