Bull Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

i dont trust any bull or cow.but that doesnt mean that i wont walk around them on foot.but i always have a way out if something goes bad.an if a bull acts up once.most likely he will keep doing it.an he needs tobe culled asap.not saying we havent kept killer bulls on the place.just saying we never gave them a chance to get you.if you need protection against a bull then the bull needs to go.

bigbull338":3k1yp58e said:
.if you need protection against a bull then the bull needs to go.

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it..... just like carrying a concealed weapon or 4 wheel drive truck.

I got rolled by a bull once, I was on the ground before I could blink. Luckily a punch to the nose backed him up enough for me to get the heck out of there. He got wheels the next day. Usually have my Ruger with me, didn't that day. Reminded me it only takes once. FWIW

My bulls are pretty quiet. There's one that I keep an eye on but he's honest about it so I get plenty of warning... Some of my cows can be a different story though. :nod:
Dogs are the best protection. They're good about keeping something off of you and if something does get on you they're about the only thing that will get them back off.

I've never really been scared of bulls, just smart about them, although it will probably be what gets me in the end.

Cows and wild steers on the other hand...
One time I was moving a cow and calf out of the what was being used as the nursery. To get to the pasture you have to exit the barn, and go through the feedlot. So was moving her and the calf along just fine, but the steers were getting all crazy, and kicking their heels. About had the calf through the gate, and the cow was right next to it, when a steer runs up, does a turn about, and kicks me right in the ribs. Not really being braced for impact, it knocked me to the ground. The cow saw me fall over, and proceed to try to rub me into the ground. I just had to curl up in a ball. Lucky my butt was was facing her, and she was just pushing me along, till my dad got her to quit.
You just never know about them crazy women, at least bulls will give you a warning! :lol:

I usually have a sorting stick if I am working cattle in the pens or loading.. But in the pasture or cornfield I have my dog or the pickup and four wheeler.. Even in our bull pen when I walk through to check the water I usually have my border collie and they all respect him, at most times in the fall there is anywhere from 10-25 bulls in that pen.. And like has been said before always have a way out..

Me personally and don't mean offense, but if you scared enough around bulls that you need a gun to shoot them if they get after you, I don't think you have any business owning cattle.

Lazy K, to each their own. I have a pistol with me everywhere I go it's my right. You have the right to have a wimpy dog if that's what you want. I think you shouldn't be allowed outside your house without a gun.

Never said it was wrong to carry a gun, there is a rifle or shotgun in everyone of my pickups and in the feeding tractor, not for cattle, but for predators.. This coyote and mountain lion country.. I'm more worried about two leg predators than a bull.. He usually lets you know when hes mad..

A bull is an unpredictable animal.
You never know what will trigger their anger, or even if the want to play they out weigh you by a bunch.
I carry all time but not particular for protection from a bull.
However if it came down to firing on a bull to keep from getting hurt I wouldn't hesitate.
I try never to turn my back on a bull no mater how tame they are.

Cal

f150fatboy":187aek41 said:
I got rolled by a bull once, I was on the ground before I could blink. Luckily a punch to the nose backed him up enough for me to get the heck out of there. He got wheels the next day. Usually have my Ruger with me, didn't that day. Reminded me it only takes once. FWIW
In that type scenario, where one gets you down, are these little handheld doodads worth having?
Do they put out enough jolt to deter aggression or just make the more agressive?
I already have a full length Hotshot brand prod.
http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/4247992689.html
00v0v_5qOyJ7HFNS6_600x450.jpg

highgrit":3pffjwdc said:
Lazy K, to each their own. I have a pistol with me everywhere I go it's my right. You have the right to have a wimpy dog if that's what you want. I think you shouldn't be allowed outside your house without a gun.

high I guess we need to get out of cattle business.. Personally I think being fearful around bulls is what will keep you safe and alive... I guess our farms are not as great as Lazy K because he has the perfect scenarios and the safest places to escape bull attacks. I wonder where I can get one of those magical protection sticks. :roll:

greybeard":83cg7k8z said:
f150fatboy":83cg7k8z said:
In that type scenario, where one gets you down, are these little handheld doodads worth having?
Do they put out enough jolt to deter aggression or just make the more agressive?
I already have a full length Hotshot brand prod.
http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/4247992689.html
00v0v_5qOyJ7HFNS6_600x450.jpg

Those will shock but I don't think they will make a bull stop probably piss it off more stun guns would not be my weapon of choice but this taser is what was on my duty belt and it would drop a dog and a drug crazed man like a sack of potatoes if the barbs made a good circuit. I think they make civilian versions but they are definitely tried and true on dogs and people. It will provide you with the worse 5 second ride of your life.

http://www.taser.com/products/law-enforcement/taser-x2

If you want to carry a gun by all means carry one
I carry one in the pickup

But what kind of candy ass carries a gun to protect them from cattle :mrgreen:

Our bulls are generally very docile. We have one though that you have to be weary about in April (pre-breeding season), and May-July (breeding season). Our other bull likes a good scratch behind the ears; I stay in the Ranger when I am around both of them.
As for the cows, the majority will let you weigh their calves and tag them at birth no problem. We have two that are highly protective. The only surprise I got from a cow was when she got too friendly. My back was turned and she head butt me in the butt and sent me flying about 10 feet.

The and only time I've been roughed up was by a 600-700 heifer. She hit me right square in the back and run right over the to of me, never seen it coming.

In Canada where I live hand guns are prohibited weapons and require special permits just to own, no concealed carry. Tasers are also not permited but I carry bear spray at night when checking cows never had to use it. A neighbour did at one time stopped a elk charging on his elk farm to bad didn't take wind in consideration one of the draw backs but it works very well.

cross_7":1stob1ws said:
If you want to carry a gun by all means carry one
I carry one in the pickup

But what kind of candy ass carries a gun to protect them from cattle :mrgreen:

I guess I am a candy ass had a rank tiger put me out of the pen three times blowing snot in my back pocket every time.
The whole time I was working her over with an axe handle while she was trying to eat me.
Was trying to load her to go for the salebarn she was a fighter from jump street.
Neighbor seen me walking back to the cow pen carrying a 1911 45 ACP. He ask what I was doing said I was going to shoot the crazy bytch and pull her to the back pasture for the buzzards. I did get her loaded and she rode swinging from the bars on top of the trailer.

Latest posts