Bull Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

My grandad had a young bull get through fence into the neighbors place that was about 8 sections so we just had to leave him
When they gathered cattle several months later they brought him home and penned him for my granddad and called and told him
He went out see about him and the bull was a mad hombre, he liked to have got him before he could get to the fence
We had a heck of a time getting him in the trailer and if we hadnt had an alley to load him we'd of not got it done
We carried him to the sale and stayed and watched for awhile
When they sold him they opened the gates in and out of the ring
He ran in and blew snot on everybody he saw on the fence and through the fence in the crowd.
The way they got him out the ring was one of the ring men got in the exit gate and he chased the guy out
That was one that may have dserved to be shot
Funny thing he had been gentle before, only thing I can figure was the cowboys that gathered him must have chousted him pretty good or may have roped him, but whatever happened he was mad all over

I had a sideline taking bad ones to town for people for a long time. Tranquilizer guns, and the whole enchilada. I "used" to be of the opinion that people that are scared of cows shouldn't own cows. I'm older now, and have a hitch in my step. A man gets one pass through this world. There is no need in taking a chance with something that can hurt you. I have several cows that want let you tag, vaccinate, and band their calf on the ground. No big deal, when they age out there want be any more like em. I mostly buy open heifers now for replacements. If one snorts, it gets put in the bred heifer sale at the yard.

The four types of bovine that can be dangerous are bulls, cows, heifers, steers.
Anybody that thinks otherwise just hasn't dealt with enough cattle yet.

A gun could be a good idea, but as has been said you may not have time to use it.
I have seen some that a stick or hot shot was about as effective as a straw broom.

Ryder":1bqzmveo said:
The four types of bovine that can be dangerous are bulls, cows, heifers, steers.
Anybody that thinks otherwise just hasn't dealt with enough cattle yet.

A gun could be a good idea, but as has been said you may not have time to use it.
I have seen some that a stick or hot shot was about as effective as a straw broom.
I am weaning a heifer that will be 9 months old in about 10 days. This is a pic of her a few months ago (probably October). I keep her and another heifer in the parking lot area of my shop where there is easy access to water during this cold spell. I feed her mixed feed from a rubbermade pan. She is extremely docile. I play with her everyday. Yesterday, when she was done eating I walked up quickly from behind her and caught her by surprise. I was bending down to get the pan and she kicked with her left back leg. It missed me by a good foot but like you say, if that foot makes contact, it could break a leg. She is about 800 pounds and strong.
2lkupnl.jpg

Can you imagine how much fun the community would make of you if you gunned down a cow in a loading chute. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. You just gotta understand you'd be the talk of the town.

inyati13":2hgnlfsq said:
Yesterday, when she was done eating I walked up quickly from behind her and caught her by surprise. I was bending down to get the pan and she kicked with her left back leg. It missed me by a good foot but like you say, if that foot makes contact, it could break a leg. She is about 800 pounds and strong.
I guess it was her lucky day. Imagine how that would have turned out if you'd have been packing. :lol:

Bigfoot":341c94k2 said:
Can you imagine how much fun the community would make of you if you gunned down a cow in a loading chute. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it. You just gotta understand you'd be the talk of the town.
I did just that about a year ago. I managed to get about an eight year old cow that was slick and left over from the previous owner two years earlier into the corrals. She nearly killed one of my dogs and tried to crawl up on my horse to get to me. I roped her and got her into the lane and tied her to the trailer. When she broke my rope I decided I'd put enough time and effort into someone else's problem and I wasn't going to turn her back out so I shot her and used her for pig bait. The next day I went hunting for the two that were left and the worst I ever heard about it was, "well it's not like you weren't patient".

inyati13":30jo3hhi said:
I am weaning a heifer that will be 9 months old in about 10 days. This is a pic of her a few months ago (probably October). I keep her and another heifer in the parking lot area of my shop where there is easy access to water during this cold spell. I feed her mixed feed from a rubbermade pan. She is extremely docile. I play with her everyday. Yesterday, when she was done eating I walked up quickly from behind her and caught her by surprise. I was bending down to get the pan and she kicked with her left back leg. It missed me by a good foot but like you say, if that foot makes contact, it could break a leg. She is about 800 pounds and strong.
2lkupnl.jpg

There's often a world of difference in what one will do if she/he knows you are there and one that is unaware of your presence.
"often" only because some are going to get snotty no matter what.

Last summer, my sister gave me an old blue pedalboat with no pedals or drive and I put it inside my garden fence figuring I would fix it one day. Finally got tired of it sittng there and decided to drag it across the pasture down to the pond for the grandkids to paddle around in. It doesn't wiegh anything, so I just grabbed the rope and took off across the pasture dragging the thing. I heard my wife yell from the backyard and looked up. I have one horned cow, and I don't know what she thought she saw, but she came tearing across the pasture like something gone mad, hooked that plastic boat and went to work flipping it over and over. I dropped the rope, moved off and circled around her and got the tractor, started again but she followed along all the way to the gate I have at the pond just a pawing and snorting at that boat.
Never saw her act that way about anything else, and I'm glad I wasn't her target.

cow pollinater":1aibfllx said:
Bigfoot":1aibfllx said:
I did just that about a year ago. I managed to get about an eight year old cow that was slick and left over from the previous owner two years earlier into the corrals. She nearly killed one of my dogs and tried to crawl up on my horse to get to me. I roped her and got her into the lane and tied her to the trailer. When she broke my rope I decided I'd put enough time and effort into someone else's problem and I wasn't going to turn her back out so I shot her and used her for pig bait. The next day I went hunting for the two that were left and the worst I ever heard about it was, "well it's not like you weren't patient".

Candy ass :mrgreen:

Latest posts