Bull Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I didn't want to Hijack inyati's thread..
Does anyone carry a gun when working or out in the field with an bull or bulls ? pitchfork? What do you have to protect yourself if things start to go south. I mostly have a handgun on me wherever I am. If you do have a gun what sign of aggression would make you shoot the bull no questions asked?

Strange this would come up. I've laughed at folks on here talking about carrying guns around Bulls. I've had some that you needed to watch when around them but nothing extreme.
With that said, I bought a young Bull last year that seems pretty rank. I know he doesn't feel well due an injury. I also think because he's in his 1st breeding season he may be a little possessive. I've been working with him a little as far as being around him more. I've been carrying a sorting stick. Around the middle of next month I'll bring him to the house for a rest before he goes with the spring cows. Hope to calm him a bit then. Wife tells me last night he got after the landlord (her sister).
Long story short, I won't tolerate it or make excuses for him. He'll either calm soon or go to market where I'll take a huge hit. That would be hard but a lot easier than someone getting hurt. If it gets to where I have to take a gun in, one would be laying flat when I left.

fitz

I carry all the time but it is not for the bull. That being said I have been hurt 2 times in the last 4 years by cattle and the thought never came to my mind to shoot. It was always over before I could have anyway.

kenny thomas":qg1lvgvd said:
I carry all the time but it is not for the bull. That being said I have been hurt 2 times in the last 4 years by cattle and the thought never came to my mind to shoot. It was always over before I could have anyway.

I had a incident last week where the kids were with me and about 10 feet away and the bull came up behind me while I was putting feed in the calf feeder and bumped me into the feeder I dropped the bag of feed and turned around punched him in the nose he backed off and did it again I yelled at the kids go under the fence and gave him a harder whack he backed up and i continued to put bags in while watching him I think he thought I was playing with him but after that incident I won't let the kids come in the field with me anymore unless they stay on the tractor. I did have my .40 but it didn't cross my mind to shoot unless he really got aggressive I will lose money anyday as long as me and my family stay unharmed.

We have sold cattle in the past that were not safe to be around. We have always kept our cattle on our home place. They weren't worth the risk of keeping them.

I carry all the time anyway, but I think a bull would catch you and hurt you so fast a gun wouldn't help. Had a man last year that got hurt bad by his bull. And a deputy had to shoot the bull so EMT's could get in the pen to help him. We don't let our bulls get within 6-8 feet of us, if we can help it. I can't see not having a gun with you all the time, especially while working cows.

highgrit":24qjpkaa said:
I can't see not having a gun with you all the time, especially while working cows.
:nod:

I know some guys that a bull has run them all around the pasture and butted them into barb wire fencing and they got tangled up in it and also know some that had to climb a tree and wait for someone to drive a truck in to get them. I think either of those instances where I had enough time I would have shot the bull.

highgrit":2137gd9z said:
I am with you there Sky, hamburger for everyone.

:lol2:

greybeard":2137gd9z said:
Mommas are just as bad if not worse than a bull sometimes.

gb great reminder as I have posted about a cow that sent me into a fence and was pretty aggressive.

I wouldn't be able to react fast enough to shoot one. Everybody should have a big post or two set in their working pens. They don't take up much space, and gives you somewhere to get.

I agree with the above posts that most of the time, you wouldn't have time to react that quick with a gun when a bull (or cow) decides to explode on you. With that said, I pack a firearm with me most of the time, but I would have to say that the best protection that I feel I have when I am with the cattle are my dogs... those girls can sense things and react before any of us would know what is going on. Learned a long time ago the value of a great cattle dog!

Brian

Bigfoot":1gvmkv78 said:
Sometimes a dog, puts a little extra edge on a cow.
This may be true but then the cow is focused on the dog... and not you! I personally have found that when you spend a lot of time with your cattle and your dog is always present, they get used to them the same way they get used to you. Plus it helps to have dogs that are really low-keyed around the cattle (unless they need to react).

TN Cattle Man":2u6cvip6 said:
Bigfoot":2u6cvip6 said:
This may be true but then the cow is focused on the dog... and not you! I personally have found that when you spend a lot of time with your cattle and your dog is always present, they get used to them the same way they get used to you. Plus it helps to have dogs that are really low-keyed around the cattle (unless they need to react).

After they've been worked with dogs I guarantee they'll respect a dog and give him space. When they see that dog they'll be on their best behavior ;-)

cross_7":1y456mf5 said:
TN Cattle Man":1y456mf5 said:
Bigfoot":1y456mf5 said:

After they've been worked with dogs I guarantee they'll respect a dog and give him space. When they see that dog they'll be on their best behavior ;-)
Agree 100%!!

I never trust any bulls or the cows with brand new calves. I did got attacked by a Jersey steer one time. He was a graft calf. The butcher fed him a lead.

Latest posts