bull prices

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338":xfds9z3x said:
3way in the 6yrs that ive been in ive had a few things confirmed that i already knew.1 you buy the best cows an bulls you can afford.2 with the reg market on fire around here you sell all your reg replacement heifers.4 you buy back top end cows.5 if you AI your cows 3x youll have $225 in ea calf.well that $2250 times 3yrs thats $6750 plus the 4th crop free if you keep a bull that long.i beleive he can by a bull for $4000 more or less.

Just a thought but if you don't keep any replacements then they are never "YOUR" cattle. You are just buying others success.

Always thought that a reasonable price for a above average breeding bull was 5--6 steer calves,consequently, $5000--6000 isnt unreasonable. A good old bull,today, is worth a nice chunk of change. I know that our mentality in agriculture is we have to feed on each other to survive but we will have to change our thoughts on some things as we on the land really need each other. With the cattle business being on the upside it may be a good time to buy the very best sire that you can find. 3 or 4 super good calf crops at these prices and saveiing the daughters as replacements could set a operation up for a good many years.

Bulls are what you price them at.. Herd bulls are recycled meaning you keep heifers to keep genetics and get a new bull to add to it. Good bulls are hard to replace but keeping the girls sure helps the process.

3way its selling the very top of your gentics that get you top prices for your sell heifers.i have a friend that buys top bulls when he needs a bull.an he can sell all his reg heifers for $1600 to $2000 weaned an open as fast as he can wean them.then turn around an give $2500 to $3500 for better bloodlines.

bigbull338":23qpwsd9 said:
3way its selling the very top of your gentics that get you top prices for your sell heifers.i have a friend that buys top bulls when he needs a bull.an he can sell all his reg heifers for $1600 to $2000 weaned an open as fast as he can wean them.then turn around an give $2500 to $3500 for better bloodlines.

I don't completely understand this logic. A herd doesn't continually improve by selling its finest animals and keeping those that are more in line with the average. I'm a big fan of genetics. That said, they only matter when matched with a phenotypically correct animal. Otherwise, you've got an animal expressing the lesser of those genetics. If the lesser quality animals in another's herd are better than my best, I can see selling then buying replacements. Otherwise, I'll keep my own. Additionally, if I'm paying a premium for the average quality animals in another's herd, I should probably consider whether that money would be better spent by upgrading my bull. It's rare that anyone is knowingly selling their best.

EC

I would bet you can get plenty of good bulls for the $4000 price. I have seen to many of these sales where the they have someone buy the first few animals for super high prices to try to set the tone for the sale and also to skew the dollar amount for average price sold. They can then use this average to justify a higher price sale for any private treaty bulls they sale throughout the year.
Pick you a good quality bull(s) from the second half of the sales catalog.

There is a difference in good bulls for the commercial producer and the seedstock producer. When folks see my herd bulls they need to be impressed.

over a year ago he gave $2500 for a 10 month old bull that he is using now.so he should be able to get any bull he wants for $4000 to $6000.bottomline is we will see if he comes home with a bull or not.east caney i selling reg heifers right now is the going thing because theres a high demand for them.plus the last 2yrs you can top end replacement out of assoc sales.as breeders are selling some of their very best cattle.

3waycross":289leorq said:
bigbull338":289leorq said:
3way in the 6yrs that ive been in ive had a few things confirmed that i already knew.1 you buy the best cows an bulls you can afford.2 with the reg market on fire around here you sell all your reg replacement heifers.4 you buy back top end cows.5 if you AI your cows 3x youll have $225 in ea calf.well that $2250 times 3yrs thats $6750 plus the 4th crop free if you keep a bull that long.i beleive he can by a bull for $4000 more or less.

Just a thought but if you don't keep any replacements then they are never "YOUR" cattle. You are just buying others success.

Others' culls more likely!

Sure these are not others culls have bought cattle with 3way, no culls here. Its pretty sound thinking if you ask me. When was the last time you bought something at a big time sale or sold a headliner. Just wondering????

Seems like 4-6k for a bull to breed a few cows is a lot. Wouldn't you or them be better off using AI?? And anyone raising breeding stock would be a dang fool to sell their best replacements. IMO

KNERSIE":3ieoowv9 said:
3waycross":3ieoowv9 said:
bigbull338":3ieoowv9 said:

Others' culls more likely!

Depends on the venue. Dispersals you will probably get some good cows. Elite sales same thing. Otherwise it's a crapshoot. Still doesn't make sense to pay big money for a bull and not keep his dtrs!

when you have to pay $2500 to $4000 for pairs or 3 in 1s your not getting some1 elses culls.plus you might get a high dollar bull or heifer calf at side.

Not sure about this year but here is our sale report from a year ago.

98.....Coming Two-Year Old Red Angus Bulls.....$5,403

96.....Yearling Red Angus Bulls.....$4,247

194.....Bulls Total.....$4,831

Top selling yearling was $16,000

Top selling 2 year old was $9000

So Big Bull, what's the word? Did your nephew find something he likes and get it on the trailer?

nephew did go to the sale.but he decided to keep his current bullas he has real good bloodlines.the bulls that sold there went for $4000 to $12,000 or more.

Below is sample of the bull sales from the 2013 Iowa Beef Expo sale which for some breeds are some of the bigger state association sales in the country. Prices may inflate/deflate based on area of the country but it's a good same for the midwest area probably. You probably find some higher and lower bull sale averages if you pay attention to breeder production sales around the country too. Really when looking for a bull it depends on the breed, type of operation, and budget so you very well could get a good bull in the 4-6K range who will make you some money depending on what type of operation you run and what goals you are trying to achieve. Speaking from the view of a purebred breeder when we are looking for a new bull we first identify what kind of genetics we are looking for then start looking at breeders who use the bloodlines with those genetics that we are looking to add. Usually it leads us to a breeder's production sale and depending on the breeder and size of sale you may pay a premium price to acquire the genetics you seek.

Simmental: 72 head $3790.28 average. High Seller: $9000
Charolais: 34 head $3159 High Seller: $7000
Shorthorn: 24 head $3702 High Seller: $11200
Red Angus: 20 head $3885 High Seller: $6600
Gelbvieh: 7 head $4843 High Seller: $13000
Limousin: 57 head $3360 High Seller: $11500
Salers: 5 head $3230 High Seller: $4500
Angus: 89 head $3890 High Seller: $13000
Hereford: 39.4 head (some bulls sold with seller maintaining partial interest) $4000 High Seller: $7500
Maine Anjou: 23 head $2882 High Seller: $5400

For the people who think it's foolish to sell your top replacement females, I have some registered cattle and talk a lot with other registered guys, and here is the logic behind it (bear with me, I'm not sure how long this will be) :
1. By selling people your best genetics, they are more likely to be pleased with the results and are therefore more likely to come back and buy more
2. The idea behind buying the best bulls you can afford is that every heifer will be an improvement to her mother, so even if she isn't your very best in the crop, if her mother is good enough to stay in your herd, why shouldn't she be?
3. Just because a heifer isn't the best in her group, doesn't mean she isn't quality enough to stay.
4. If a heifer is a true cull, then send her to the sales barn without papers and let her go to slaughter. No point in keeping those genetics. Consider culling mama too.
5. In most cases, you should have a full sibling to your best calf due next year, and that one you can keep.
6. Like I saw on another post earlier about signing contracts with bull selling; in this industry you are selling a name. You don't want culls associated with your name.
7. At a lot of registered cattle sales, the open heifers sell for greater than or equal to the price of a bred heifer. Why keep your heifers around for another year if you can sell them and turn around and buy a bred heifer of equal or better quality (someone thought she was worth keeping a year and even got her pregnant for you) and still come out with more money in your pocket? For example, at the Sullivan Farms Maternal Legends sale this last October the open heifers sold for an average between $12,000-$14,000 while the bred heifers sold for an average between $5,000 and $6,000.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, I just wanted to share my perspective and some of the logic behind it.