bull prices

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
my nephew is going to 3 rivers in 2 or 3wks to the beefmaster bull sale.an we have picked out 17 bulls to bid on.i told him to go $6000 on the bulls.im hoping he can get 1 bought for that price.the bulls we picked are all sired by logan.im hoping he can get 1 for that price but who knows.whats the most yall would pay for a bull.

Geeeeez Bigbull. You keep this crap up and i will have to stop calling you a cheapskate............Good luck buddy. i hope you get a good one!

That's not bad for a quality bull that does what you want. It's way to much for just any old bull. I paid $5,000 for a hereford bull three years ago and think that was some of the best money I've ever spent. I bought his full brother last year for $4,000 and was willing to go quite a bit higher.
I think I'd nitpick and put a top price on each bull individually and be willing to pay up to the $6,000 for maybe the top three picks and less on the ones that aren't in my top picks.

Red Bull Breeder":305dlx75 said:
Some of the best bulls I have had didn't cost as much as some I thought I had to have. I bet you get one bought for that.
I agree! I've had some dandys that we're half the price of others I couldn't live without. I'll be shocked if you can't buy at least 10 of the 17 you picked out for that or less.

well he talked to some guy that told him they sold for an ave of $9000 a hd last year.i know the sale and thats where all the big money bulls are sent.if he bids he will cause alot of guys to hurt themselves.the only reason he wants to buy a bull is because he has it in his head to produce cows as big as dallas.an i told him that would prolly bite him hard.

If he gets lot 1or2 for six thousand he is doing alright. They looked nice. A 9000.00 average only take a few real high dollar bulls to run the average up. At 6000,00 I bet your in the ball park.

alot just depends on how bad he wants a bull.his 1st crop of calves are hitting the ground now from the bull he bought last year.an i told him to wait till next year to change bulls.to see what his bull produces.

8 cows an heifers that him an his partner have bought in the last year plus 10 or 12 cows that belong to his partner.am those cows are crossbred an need to go to the sale.so they can foscus on reg cattle.

bigbull338":1391a1sl said:
8 cows an heifers that him an his partner have bought in the last year plus 10 or 12 cows that belong to his partner.am those cows are crossbred an need to go to the sale.so they can foscus on reg cattle.

Seems like a lot of money for that few head.

DISCLAIMER: I am by all means no expert..Insurance business first then cows on weekends.. but if they want to raise some registered BM mommas that is one thing and with only a small amount then get someone to AI them. If to use on some crossbred cows then I would get a bull for less than half that cost that would have more kick in them at weaning/yearling. We put a 3/4 Simbrah (he is actually 80/20)on 23 commercial beefmaster/cross cows and have avg a little over 90lbs more at the sale barn on his first set of calves, compared to a very avg Beefmaster bull my father-n-law had. Calves were all solid colored, polled and still had a touch of ear.

insurman":3i93z4yl said:
bigbull338":3i93z4yl said:

Seems like a lot of money for that few head.

DISCLAIMER: I am by all means no expert..Insurance business first then cows on weekends.. but if they want to raise some registered BM mommas that is one thing and with only a small amount then get someone to AI them. If to use on some crossbred cows then I would get a bull for less than half that cost that would have more kick in them at weaning/yearling. We put a 3/4 Simbrah (he is actually 80/20)on 23 commercial beefmaster/cross cows and have avg a little over 90lbs more at the sale barn on his first set of calves, compared to a very avg Beefmaster bull my father-n-law had. Calves were all solid colored, polled and still had a touch of ear.

Personally I would like to congratulate Bigbull for trying to upgrade his registered operation. Yes he could use AI and have a 60 to 70% conception rate if he is lucky maybe less since he will need to hire it done.
Then he can clean up the remaining registered cows with a cheap cleanup bull and if he is lucky he can keep 1 maybe two decent heifers a year. or he can use his good registered bull and keep heifers for up to 3 or more years (depending on his ability to segregate him from his dtrs) and build a better herd. BTW nothing says he cannot AI select cows and still use his much better bull to clean them up.

Stick to your guns Bigbull. Most of the folks who will tell you how to raise registered cattle will have never owned one!

Big Bull It may not even cost the 6000.00 to get the bull he wants. If the bull he buys is good enough he will be paying his way along time down the road in quality cattle that build a herd. For all you folks that think that's to much for a few cows, you are not looking at building a long term Registerde herd.

Red Bull Breeder":pmg4ltys said:
Big Bull It may not even cost the 6000.00 to get the bull he wants. If the bull he buys is good enough he will be paying his way along time down the road in quality cattle that build a herd. For all you folks that think that's to much for a few cows, you are not looking at building a long term Registerde herd.

:tiphat:

3waycross":ielau9xs said:
Red Bull Breeder":ielau9xs said:

:tiphat:

I guess I missed where he was going to be breeding registered cows. Reading comprehension must have alluded me this morning. I do agree that the math is significantly different registered vs commercial when it comes to bull cost.

EDIT: If we assume that the bull's salvage will pay for his feed for 4 years his yearly cost of breeding cows is $187.5 per cow per year. I personally figure it costs $50-100 per head to AI depending on cost of semen. So you're not a huge premium over AI if the calves have $100 increase in value do to this bull as opposed to a cheaper cleanup/ natural service bull.

3way in the 6yrs that ive been in ive had a few things confirmed that i already knew.1 you buy the best cows an bulls you can afford.2 with the reg market on fire around here you sell all your reg replacement heifers.4 you buy back top end cows.5 if you AI your cows 3x youll have $225 in ea calf.well that $2250 times 3yrs thats $6750 plus the 4th crop free if you keep a bull that long.i beleive he can by a bull for $4000 more or less.

Latest posts