bull pawing the ground/blowing snot

Help Support CattleToday:

snickers

Reaction score
? for you guys, we have a 2 3/4 yr old GV bull and everytime i get close to the fence he paws the dirt cocks his head and blows snot, and he dont do that with my husband. a couple weeks ago he kept me on a flat bed trailer for over 1/2 hr. we were sitting on this trailer watching the cow's and the bull was off eating elsewhere when the cow's got out of sight he wandered over to where we were and my husband had already started for the fence and wanted me to walk with him but i didnt want to because the bull was to close, now he didnt bother husband at all but he snorted, pawed, and stayed right at that trailer and wouldnt leave. I know I should of had a stick. does his behavior mean he likes me or wants to kill me? either way he will be gone but he hasnt been the first bull to do this to me.

I'm not sure a bull knows the difference between liking something and wanting to kill it. You could be both!

nope he's in his fighting mode ,like he would do with another bull.. he is threatnin' you.. better get it harnessed before one of y'all gets hurt

thats what i thought too! he doesn't know i will get the last laugh when his tail goes on the trailer. i've been around animals all my life and i'm not scared of them but respect them especially bulls and new momma cow's but i swear if one of them act up it will be with me. even rooster's will run up to my side of the truck when wwe pull up and start dragging one of there wings waiting to jump on me. lol they ended up in a pot of dumplings.

Be careful Snickers and stay safe, Gv bulls are known to be quite docile and easy going so if he is showing aggression like that to you ,I for sure wouldn't want to be in the same pasture with him. Glad to hear he will be heading out soon.

I was cornered by a Holstein bull once ,had no way out as he had me pinned behind a supporting beam in the heifer clean up pen . Hubby was not home and the only thing that saved me was my dog Bo, he kept jumping up and biting the bull on the azz and distracted him long enough for me to get the heck out of there. He was a young bull and showed no aggression to anyone but me before that and it wasn't really aggression ,more like he kept watching me whenever I was in that barn . We had him butchered for ground beef the next day if I remember correctly . But,, I do remember telling my husband at least twice before that incident "that SOB needs to go ", his response was that he doesn't bother him at all. After that the bulls were culled if they even looked cross ways at me. So far my GV bulls have all been respectful and I have not heard a complaint from a customer about them yet ,, touch wood.

He's finding out where he stands within "the herd". Your hubby is more than he thinks he can take on so he's trying you instead.
Get on the flatbed that he had you on and have someone drive you up real close and get right up to him and zap him with a hotshot. Jump off and chase him and light him up every time you get within reach. Keep him on the defensive.

That or a 2x4 across the nose worked in the past here, they still didn't stay long though.

Sizmic

cow pollinater":3rahp3xs said:
He's finding out where he stands within "the herd". Your hubby is more than he thinks he can take on so he's trying you instead.
Get on the flatbed that he had you on and have someone drive you up real close and get right up to him and zap him with a hotshot. Jump off and chase him and light him up every time you get within reach. Keep him on the defensive.

i agree with CP; if you've had these problems before and with other species; you're going to have to deal with it. you can deal with it by shipping him, but that won't teach you how to handle the animal. at a minimum, learn to handle him first and then ship him...my guess - one or two shots with that prod will do wonders for his attitude. i had a steer head butt me the other day. he got his mind right with a board across his head....

You are weak and he knows it.
Don't trust any cattle, if he can pick up on it so can others.

I too am weak. Cattle that won't even look twice at Hubby will try and eat me up. A big stick and standing my ground doesn't change that I personally command no respect. So I ALWAYS have to watch my back- and I keep dogs with me ALL the time.
They might not respect me but they sure do the dog next to me.

I see it all the time with dogs too. Some of the most ferocious biters are actually weak dogs that create constant show downs- that another dog the cattle would just walk off from. The toughest dog I have rarely ever has to use his teeth- he just emits get out of my way vibes.

i disagree with a lot of these responses....

i agree that the bull thinks he has your number..... because he does....

i disagree that you can pick a fight with him to show him who is boss....

before you pick a fight make sure all your insurance policies, both life and medical, are up to date and paid cause you might need them.

guys who ignore bulls who are agressive with other people are only fooling themselves....bulls showing agression toward people very rarely get better.

I went with my sone to deliver a load of sold cattle a couple of years ago. the buyers other cattle came up to see what was going on and behind them this huge and very nice looking black bull came at a gallop. He forced all the cows away and took up a position between us and the cows and was snorting and trotting around.

I told the guy that he had a problem....he said naw...he has always acted like that and he gets really nice calves that are born easily....

about six or eight months later my sone told me that the bull had attacked the guy on the tractor or something. I don't recall details but he survived and shipped the bull.

BIG MAC ATTACK.

cow pollinater":27pvs2h7 said:

are you friggin crazy..this will git you smashed

My GV challenged us the first week...he had been geting his butt kicked by the cows and wanted to try us to establish dominance. He got his attitude adjusted and now shows no sgresion at all. He was a yearling so he got a VER cautious pass. I have read too many warnings on here to not respect them and follow the sage advise of the folks giving it. Should my bull act aggressive to me or family or another human he will go to the kill pen the next day! Not worht the chance of someone getting hurt or killed too many reasonably priced bulls out there to put up with an agressive one. Good luck and as others stated watch him till you get him shipped. But I would say that all your cattle need to know you ae their boss just like your husband.

Have hubby load that sucker TODAY!!!!!! And haul his butt to the yard.

Had a bull a couple years ago decide I made a nice target. Came after me while I was on a 4-wheeler; he had been picking a fight with our heifer bull. Then came after me again in the corral while cutting them off after the breeding season. And the last time he stalked me around our corral when I went to put a hay bale in their feeder.
My hubby loaded him and I hauled him.

thanks for the info. we bought this guy as a weanling and he did try to smash the husband but he was only about 600# and we had just unloaded him so gave him a pass but your right he needs to go. our cow's are really calm, gentle and really layed back even with me lol but since i watched a show on bulls go mad and those people who keep them either ended up dead or almost dead had a excuse to keep them, raised from a baby, great calves etc. this bull knows when i have the walking stick he wont make any motion towards me it's just when i'm in a hurry or to lazy to walk to the other side of the yard to get it that he makes his move well not anymore i wont step foot in there unless fully armed. also i am the string cutter for the round bales and didnt even think he would try to act up with me there just bcuz he would be to hungry or on a 3 wheeler thought i'd be safe but now that's another point he better go asap.

Im going to echo the others..talk to your husband about this..SERIOUSLY..sometimes men dont take their wives serious enough..dont whine..tell him straight out "The bull's gotta go"...I dont want to read an article about you getting hurt or killed on CT afew months down the road.

EVEN A BIG MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN STOP A BULL WITH A STICK IS KIDDING HIMSELF.

YEAH YOU MIGHT HURT HIM.....
OR YOU MIGHT JUST PI$$ HIM OFF...

pdfangus":1os7j3a4 said:
EVEN A BIG MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN STOP A BULL WITH A STICK IS KIDDING HIMSELF.

YEAH YOU MIGHT HURT HIM.....
OR YOU MIGHT JUST PI$$ HIM OFF...
im going with that one... you can scare em into respect, but the chances of you hurting him short of killing him is slim...

Latest posts