bull pawing the ground/blowing snot

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross....
Personally....
if a guy is paying 1.09 a pound for a stock yard bull.....as a breeding bull
when for a few bucks more he could go to a reputable breeder and buy a virgin bull of known pedigree, health and performance and probably a good indication about dispostion.....
he or she is on their own....

pdfangus":2cuiaaym said:
3waycross....
Personally....
when for a few bucks more he could go to a reputable breeder and buy a virgin bull of known pedigree, health and performance and probably a good indication about dispostion.....
is on his own....
I pretty much feel the same way. Buying a salebarn bull as a breeder you get's what you deserves, just like buying cows from the kill pen

thommoos":2ggllv6o said:
It is called phermones, he is aggressive or attracted to your sent. sounds crazy but think about it?

:nod: :nod:

I always carry a stick. They know the difference between stick carrying and no stick carrying. There is a real difference in how you react to animals in each scenario.
Rules here: never, never, never pet a bull calf or make friends.... you could regret it later. Don't be mean but let them respect you. And NEVER turn your back no matter how gentle they are. We have culled HEAVY for disposition and no problems for years , but, there's always that possibility.
Valerie

dun":yzw0lqah said:
pdfangus":yzw0lqah said:
3waycross....
Personally....
is on his own....
I pretty much feel the same way. Buying a salebarn bull as a breeder you get's what you deserves, just like buying cows from the kill pen

So if the bull kills his wife he "deserves" it. You guys keep your values and I'll keep mine.

I figure that if he bought it for that price "knowing" it had issues "then" he deserves it.

3waycross":358lj3lv said:
dun":358lj3lv said:
pdfangus":358lj3lv said:
3waycross....
Personally....
is on his own....

So if the bull kills his wife he "deserves" it. You guys keep your values and I'll keep mine.

I figure that if he bought it for that price "knowing" it had issues "then" he deserves it.
They're in the kill pen for a reason.................

thommoos":386y41f4 said:
It is called phermones, he is aggressive or attracted to your sent. sounds crazy but think about it?
You may be on to something. :clap: I'd never thought about it with cattle but I know of alot of women who've been bitten by stud horses during certain times of the month and it's usually on a breast or buttocks. I used to date a girl that had a proud cut appy that would bite her right breast about once a month... She never noticed the timing and I never said anything. I knocked the crud out of him one day but that was a territorial kind of thing. The worst part is that HE won since she didn't like a fighting man. :D
I had this one written off as a bull being a bull but you may be right.

If a bull wants to do something it is hard to hit one hard enough to get his attention. I had a 4 month old heifer start coming into heat. My 15 month old GV bull had her penned up against the corral trying to breed her. Since she weighed about 300 lbs and he weighed about 1,350 lbs I was afraid that he would break her down. I had a fiberglass sorting stick in my hand and anybody that has one knows that they can be a formidible weapon due to the flexing motion when used as a club. I am not a little fella at 6' and 215 lbs and I am still fairly strong and can still bench press 315 with free weights. I swung that stick hard and thumped him across the rump. He never even flinched or looked at me and kept trying to mount her. I swung it as hard as I could swing it. It would have probably killed a man. I hit him across the top of the head (aiming for the nose) and he just ignored me. Fortunatley she squirted out from under him and into the catch pen where I slammed the gate. I am convinced that if he ever come after me that a stick would not even whoa him up a step. I agree with caustic that a .45 acp in the nogging will get his attention though........

Glad you both sold the bull. Good Call!
Bulls i think pick up on the pheremones (sp). Just from a female perspective.

have to add a story which includes me, hubby and a cow.
Hubby was the full time driver, i was the full time calver (when he was gone on route) during calving season. One cow as a first time calver, came after me and put me over the fence. Actually, I jumped the fence, but her charging me set me right over. :D I told hubby, he kept that cow for 6 more calving seasons. His reasoning, never had a problem with her. Me however, always had to have a stick, and a way out. One day shortly after she calved, she snuck up on me and cornered me around a tree. All i had was my rubber boots and gave her a few good kicks to the nose. She backed off enough for me to run 4 feet to the fence. I told hubby and he still kept her for another year. The next year she put him over the fence just after she calved. He wanted to get the gun! We weaned the calf early and shipped her.
Now if i complain about a bad attitude cow, he ships.
Moral of the story, if a cow/bull has a bad 'tude towards you and not your hubby, ask him he if wants the company of the cow/bull or you. Cause you won't be much company to him if you are 6 feet under.

we had a SH bull, he was always pretty nice with us and the cows, but he wasn't able to breed anymore and had to ship him halfway through the season, and he was NOT HAPPY, we finally got him on the trailer and the sale yard handler told us he was really bad when he got there.

we have a SH x bull we kept, he's really calm, I do pet him sometimes, but only on the back and tailstock, if he ever comes to me asking for his head scratched, I move off and pat his back... it's well known with rams to never pet them on the head, bulls are no different. I won't put up with any BS form any animal, there's one cow (my dad's) who is ornery as heck at calving time, and if I have to go in the pen when she's calves (which always happens because she won't take care of it), I'm on my tiptoes, and I carry an old 3/4" breaker bar in my hand, she looks at me wrong and it comes across her nose... she's improved as she's aged and learned that I mean business. My old cow is completely docile to me even after calving, but I don't completely trust her, and am certain that she could be much more protective if anyone else was around

I do agree that it's definitely wise to err on the safe side, if it's mean, it walks the boardwalk

Latest posts