Bull of the woods

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old bull that acts strange sometimes. He will be lookingstraight ahead with head down and kinda like in a trance, blowing and puffing a little, then he may drop down on his front legs and dig dirt with his horns and rub his face in the dirt. He will create quite a dust storm for a few minutes, then stop. Would there be any thing wrong with his ears maybe? He appears to be fine otherwise. Any ideas? Just want him to be ok. Thanks.

Sounds like he's just showing everyone that he's a bull! Maybe a little frustrated cause he's under worked! They love to mud up their faces. I have a Hereford bull that most the time I think he's ashamed of his white face! LOL! B&G

Some bulls like to demonstrate how tough they are when they are with cows. Often gets worse when they are 3 to 4 years old. Most common display is they will come up and paw the ground. I have one who used to come up and work on my side mirrors. I broke him of that. Now he comes over, sniffs my tools, and then works on a corral or corner post...

Man, I thought we were off on a discussion of plug chewing tobacco. In a past life I always enjoyed an occasion use of Bull of the Woods. Don't know if it is even still around. Wonder if they will ever make E-chewing tobacco? :lol:

We refer to what you see in the digging and actions as the bull making "bull holes". They are fun to find in a truck or a tractor and are the subject of earth filling when dirt is being moved around in those areas. I laugh every time I think about my late father getting a new dustbag up, a little shed to cover it coming into the catch pen, that bag so new, nice and yellow. Within 20 minutes the bull had beat the snot and all of the dust out of the bag and was a "white Angus" on the front 50%. End of that effort and back to backrubs with diesel.

Ebenezer":1tjme6r4 said:
Man, I thought we were off on a discussion of plug chewing tobacco. In a past life I always enjoyed an occasion use of Bull of the Woods. Don't know if it is even still around. Wonder if they will ever make E-chewing tobacco? :lol:

We refer to what you see in the digging and actions as the bull making "bull holes". They are fun to find in a truck or a tractor and are the subject of earth filling when dirt is being moved around in those areas. I laugh every time I think about my late father getting a new dustbag up, a little shed to cover it coming into the catch pen, that bag so new, nice and yellow. Within 20 minutes the bull had beat the snot and all of the dust out of the bag and was a "white Angus" on the front 50%. End of that effort and back to backrubs with diesel.
Had a red cow that always did the same thing

Thanks for the info. Glad to know he is sane. For a while I thought he might be mad. Lol

Would put it mainly down to testosterone. If you compare an intact animal with one that has had testicles removed you will notice that they don't exhibit the same behavior. The removal of testicles causes a reduction of testosterone production. A bull will continually be aware of cows coming into estrus and will display dominance and aggression towards any threats, the older they get the more territorial they become too...these action are primarily driven by hormones. It would seem that your bull is just being a bull...there is a very slight chance that it could be something like a brain tumour, which I doubt.

bull of the woods was hard to find even back in the day.
browns mule was my second choice
blood hound third
apple was fourth choice but readily available
but I even quit chewing seventeen years ago...
there used to be a brand of panty hose that came in a little plastic pouch...can't recall the name....
but I used the pouch for a tobacco pouch....
used to get a lot of funny looks when I took a chaw.

pdfangus":1gomewh7 said:
bull of the woods was hard to find even back in the day.
browns mule was my second choice
blood hound third
apple was fourth choice but readily available
but I even quit chewing seventeen years ago...
there used to be a brand of panty hose that came in a little plastic pouch...can't recall the name....
but I used the pouch for a tobacco pouch....
used to get a lot of funny looks when I took a chaw.
Browns mule was all I liked Haven;t sen it in years but now it's all gone to that candy type of chew it seems

Latest posts