Bull lease to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
So I have a guy in my town that gave me an option to lease to buy he's legends brangus bull 2yrs old. 1000 down payment 375 next 4 months he's going to write up a contract on my end what do I need and what other stuff do I need to? And should I go through with it and terms and conditions I should be aware of? He's has it trich and fertility tested already.

He's paid for bse and trich, 375 x 4 payments = 1500 + 1000 down = $2500 bull
or
is it $1,000 down 375 in 4 months (1375) with option to buy at 85 cents lb in 5 months?
1900 lbs x .85 = 1615 + 1375 = $2,990

He paid for bse and trich already as well will deliver once I give the 1000 and following 4 months I'll pay him 375 a month for the next 4 months.

If it's the bull you want and he's willing to take payments idk what the down side would be. I'd ask for the BSE and trich tests just to be sure of it all. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It's not a bad price. Do you like the bull? It will be a little easier on you to not have to come up with the full amount up front. I had thought that you were thinking about leasing a bull for 3 months maybe, then being able to return him and not need to deal with him for a year. But maybe there aren't any around to do that in your area. It sounds like a fair deal for this area, although there aren't many brangus in this area since any "ear" doesn't sell good here. But we get some Lim-flex and sim-ang in this area.
If you like him, and I think you have been looking at options for awhile, then it might be a good deal.

farmerjan said:
It's not a bad price. Do you like the bull? It will be a little easier on you to not have to come up with the full amount up front. I had thought that you were thinking about leasing a bull for 3 months maybe, then being able to return him and not need to deal with him for a year. But maybe there aren't any around to do that in your area. It sounds like a fair deal for this area, although there aren't many brangus in this area since any "ear" doesn't sell good here. But we get some Lim-flex and sim-ang in this area.
If you like him, and I think you have been looking at options for awhile, then it might be a good deal.
yeah it's helps me a lot I'm gonna get the test and probably get him to bring him over next week

Bfields30 said:
farmerjan said:
yeah it's helps me a lot I'm gonna get the test and probably get him to bring him over next week
I thought you were out of hay?

5S Cattle said:
Bfields30 said:
farmerjan said:
I thought you were out of hay?
I have a few bales left and I have green grass coming up and I have a pasture 15 pasture ive haven't let my cows on as well as I've been feed 3-4 times out the week. Which all of them but one our in good condition besides this really older one I have.

Didn't you buy some young heifers? Do you have a way to keep the bull away from them until they're ready to breed?

5S Cattle said:
Didn't you buy some young heifers? Do you have a way to keep the bull away from them until they're ready to breed?
I have a Two are 16 months next month and another will be 15 months this next month . They have been cycling for awhile now but I been waiting for them to be of breeding age

Went to see him this morning he's a legends bull from Emory Tx the guy I'm getting him from is going from commercial cows to registered cows all Brahman as well as going to ai. Bull is really gentle I liked him he's tested him at 85 percent fertility and he's on about 10 cows right now seen a few of his calf all heifers that were on the ground and they were good looking calfs I think they had good bone structure and were built good in my opinion.